GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking up a Garmin or Tomtom Nav system, i notice in the DIC menu there is a screen for NAV. i obviously do not have the NAV system in my SLE2 but if i were to get a Bluetooth compatible handheld nav does it show up in there or is that just for the onstar nav?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Are you talking about the compass thing that shows up? If you don't have the integrated nav system it doesn't do anything...I don't know why they left that in for non-nav vehicles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks. i was kind of hoping that it would be for Bluetooth compatible handheld Nav systems

·
Registered
297 Posts
It works for OnStar, too. Even if you don't have the built in Navigation.

Turn-by-Turn

This display is used for the OnStar
or Navigation System Turn-by-Turn
guidance. See OnStar® System on
page 4‑39 or the Navigation
manual, if the vehicle has
navigation, for more information.

·
Registered
749 Posts
If you go through OnStar for directions, they download it straight to your car. It comes up on the DIC screen and also on the main radio readout. Kind of neat how they do it actually....

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh ok thats good too.
I'm still thinking about picking up a handheld. saw someone with a pic on here and it fits in that cubby hole very nicely.

I used the GPS on my phone last week for a road trip and it is nice for finding stuff and routes you arent very familiar with lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The OnStar navigation comes free for 6 months. Tried it this weekend - asked for a Pizza restaurant in a city we were driving neardy. Worked like a charm! They found nine and took the first one. All driving instructions are downloaded and appear in the DIC and radio display.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I could be wrong, however, I thought the free Nav capability for OnStar is only for the 1st 30 days after you pick up your car, not 6 months.

·
Registered
830 Posts
On 2010 cars it was 30 days free with 1 year safe and sound plan.

On 2011 cars it is 6 months safe and sound with navigation.

I prefer by far the option i got with my 2010 since i don't love at all the onstar nav...

RSchleder said:
I could be wrong, however, I thought the free Nav capability for OnStar is only for the 1st 30 days after you pick up your car, not 6 months.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my monthly onstar update keeps telling me i have 1 free navigation remaining. so im not sure. Not gonna pay for it thats for sure i would rather drop a couple hundred on a nav unit and be done with it. of all the "gotta pay fors" im only planning on keeping the XM after it expires.

·
Registered
468 Posts
The onstar nav really isnt all that bad. The biggest thing I dislike about it is that it shows the directions on the radio and also the dic. Cost wise its ok, if you get a 1 year plan it comes to like $20 a month with nav and it gives you everything AAA c an give you plus more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is that $20 a month for onstar WITH Nav or is that just Nav? Havent looked too far into the onstar pricing yet, i have a year to think about that lol.

·
Registered
749 Posts
@ Cotton seed, You can change the DIC screen from the directions to another page. But I don't think you can take them off the radio screen. Just letting you know.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Cameron said:
is that $20 a month for onstar WITH Nav or is that just Nav? Havent looked too far into the onstar pricing yet, i have a year to think about that lol.
Month to Month Safe and Sound billing (if you dont do anything after your 1 year expires and they start billing you) is $20.28. Renewing to a 1 year Directions and Connections Plan (also includes Safe and Sound) is $249.00 a year ($20.75). Down side is you have to pay for that year upfront I believe. All prices are in USD, Canada prices my differ. You need to make an onstar account to view those prices, also heard you can press the blue button in your car and get the same deal as above plus an extra 2 months added on.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you don't give On-Star a credit card the 1 year trial just expires. If you bought extra minutes when you 1st got the vehicle (They gave you a special offer) when they did the inital on-star call they will automatically renew and start charging you unless you cancel. I can only speak for the contact I have in NY.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i never got the extra minutes on the setup call, i dont have a credit card lol.

oh well at least i have some time to think about it.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Onstar is FAR more than just NAV.

We have used it to find an obscure pet store in a town we visited three years ago. All I could remember is that it was close to the river and it was a blue building. The onstar agent used google streetview to find the building and then routed me there.

They can call and make reservations when you are going out to eat.

You can download directions directly to your vehicle from your home computer if you dont want to call them.

Its literally your own personal concierge service.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Of course it has its benefits, there is no doubt about that.
I had and paid for on-star in my previous 2 vehicles 5 years combined and never used it. or needed it.

Kinda like having/paying for insurance for the last 14 years and needing it 2 times very early on. just a whole lot of money out the door for the "incaseshit" to quote Chris Rock.
I will probably end up renewing the on-star just because of the obvious benefits, it is good to know the onstar/nav bundle is the same price even if it is upfront payment. i'll have to keep that in mind.
neither of my monte carlos had the nav capabilities well at least in a visual sense. so the whole integrated nav availability is nice.

·
Registered
977 Posts
To each his/her own with on-star if it benefits them. I have a cell phone and a GPS. I don't see it being worth the cost of about $250 a year. I have had it for 3 months and never used it. The only feature I see that may be useful is the crash response. Again, Freedom of choice. Someone on this board lived in Vermont and said the coverage from them was much better. My XM trail expires today too. I can't believe that they want me to pay for something that drops continually. Again .. Freedom of choice.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah but dollar to dollar, it makes more sense to pay for the D&C plan up front. at least then you have the nav. i dunno, got lots of time to figure it out.
XM on the other hand is a couple weeks away, which i cant believe already. Might have to jack someones credit card for that, i would like to keep that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts