GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in Canada and my 2015 Terrain has about 60,000 KMs on it. I bought it new back in 2015. The brakes have not been replaced yet. I have not felt anything 'wrong' with the brakes so far. Yesterday, I was in for an oil change and the dealer told me that only 2-3 mm left on the pads and that I should replace pads AND rotors. Their quote was bout $1300 for both front and rears. I called another shop and they told me that pads and rotors must be replaced together as they can't warranty pads without replacing rotors. Their quote was around $1200. Is it normal to replace pads and rotors together even if rotors are still ok? I'm not an expert so I can't tell how 'bad' my rotors are but I thought they would last a lot more than 60,000 KMs. I have attached a picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Replaced pads and rotors on my 2015 at 52,000 miles. Dealer did the work. They initially quoted me $950 USD. I hesitated, and asked if there were any brake specials going on. They came back with a quote of $650 because there was a special.

Might want to ask your dealer about current brake pad and brake rotor specials.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Hmmm, youre in the rustbelt. So rust plays a major part for you.

Im in Southern California.
I replaced pads at 100,000.
My oems were still thick.
But 100k maintenance i replaced.
Now at 115,000 i felt a very light vibration in steering wheel when making a quick stop coming down a hill.
Yesterday did an oil change and took rotors off and had them turned. Put them back on. Went to empty street and got up to about 50 and hit the brakes hard.
Drove that hill today, smooth braking.
115,000 miles on these factory rotors.

Rotors turned at machine shop/mom n pop auto parts $25 each. They said very little was shaved off.

Reactions: chaudhrysb

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I just reread your thread and saw youre at 60k km... not miles.
Thats 37,282 miles.
That is low miles.
But with all that rust... im wondering if your slide pins are also rusty causing accelerated wear on pads.

This is how thick my factory pads were at 100,000.
Rustbelt folks, is there anyone who takes apart their brakes and lubes say every 2 yrs etc to maintain or just wait to replace it all?

Reactions: chaudhrysb

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'm in a rust belt state. When my pads and rotors were replaced at 52,000 miles the dealer said I got way more life out of them than what they normally see. They said most people around here are lucky to see 40,000 miles on pads and rotors. They also don't turn rotors, they replace them.

I don't do anything special outside of the annual inspections required by the state. I have 15,000 miles on the current pads and they all measured 8mm last month.

Have never had any rust related brake issues in over 30 years of rust belt driving. Can't say the same about suspension components. Have already replaced the lower rear control arms on my 2015 Equinox. There are some other very minor surface rust spots on the frame, but otherwise nothing concerning.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just reread your thread and saw youre at 60k km... not miles.
Thats 37,282 miles.
That is low miles.
But with all that rust... im wondering if your slide pins are also rusty causing accelerated wear on pads.

This is how thick my factory pads were at 100,000.
Rustbelt folks, is there anyone who takes apart their brakes and lubes say every 2 yrs etc to maintain or just wait to replace it all?

Don't forget about different types of mileage. Someone drive 60k miles on highways, but someone stay in traffic jam. That is the answer. What is your average speed on car?

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,731 Posts
I'm in a salt zone. Rotors wear, you can see the ridge. I consider pads/rotors a set.
I only use Geomet type rotors, not the painted ones, for maximum life.
Piston side pad usually wears more than the outer due to more initial contact. If I see excessive inner pad wear, then I go to inspecting the pins for binding.
Some folks do the pad slap, my rotors usually have grooving or signs of heavy wear at 50k intervals. Pad slap can work if no pulsing is being felt but getting previous pad build up off rotors without turning them is impossible and for me cost of turning today's thin rotors is not cost-effective vs new ones.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in a salt zone. Rotors wear, you can see the ridge. I consider pads/rotors a set.
I only use Geomet type rotors, not the painted ones, for maximum life.
Piston side pad usually wears more than the outer due to more initial contact. If I see excessive inner pad wear, then I go to inspecting the pins for binding.
Some folks do the pad slap, my rotors usually have grooving or signs of heavy wear at 50k intervals. Pad slap can work if no pulsing is being felt but getting previous pad build up off rotors without turning them is impossible and for me cost of turning today's thin rotors is not cost-effective vs new ones.
My car '17 60k miles has also replaced pads with rotors (not OEM). Maybe the problem is that brakes is to small for this heavy car?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'm in Canada and my 2015 Terrain has about 60,000 KMs on it. I bought it new back in 2015. The brakes have not been replaced yet. I have not felt anything 'wrong' with the brakes so far. Yesterday, I was in for an oil change and the dealer told me that only 2-3 mm left on the pads and that I should replace pads AND rotors. Their quote was bout $1300 for both front and rears. I called another shop and they told me that pads and rotors must be replaced together as they can't warranty pads without replacing rotors. Their quote was around $1200. Is it normal to replace pads and rotors together even if rotors are still ok? I'm not an expert so I can't tell how 'bad' my rotors are but I thought they would last a lot more than 60,000 KMs. I have attached a picture.
I am impressed that you have 7 going on 8 years with these. My only concern is your are being charged way way too much to do these, the amount of profit that the dealer is pulling in is Egregious. All chain and dealers will not warranty any thing unless you change everything which gets very expensive for a set of 40 dollar pads. I would look around and if you cannot do these yourself, find somebody else that can. 1300 plus the 13 percent screwing we get up here is a non starter for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked online and came across this site gmcpartscanada-spg.ca where I can buy OEM pads and rotors for about $400 total (they have 50% sale right now). Does anyone know if this site is legit? Do I have to buy OEM or can I buy some other good quality brand for about the same or bit less?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Don't forget about different types of mileage. Someone drive 60k miles on highways, but someone stay in traffic jam. That is the answer. What is your average speed on car?
The nox is my wifes car.
Shes the stop and go driver.
She averages 16 to 17 mpg in the 3.6 equinox.
While i average 24 to 26 mpg in my larger 3.6 Traverse.
We live in Los Angeles.
I will say that I have never replaced rotors on any of my daily drivers.
Even my 2003 trailblazer is still on factory rotors.

Speaking of which, my traverse just passed the trailblazer mileage wise this past saturday.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I checked online and came across this site gmcpartscanada-spg.ca where I can buy OEM pads and rotors for about $400 total (they have 50% sale right now). Does anyone know if this site is legit? Do I have to buy OEM or can I buy some other good quality brand for about the same or bit less
You do not have to use OEM, that is a choice you can make, some people will only use OEM and thats their choice but its entirely up to you. The price quoted in the site is not bad at all, in fact its more in line with being reasonable. The only problem you may run into if you buy them there is most garages will not install them for you as you are taking away their profit margin and usually nobody will warrranty the work should you get the work done. The only thing you show on the list that i am not sure about is the kit, if its what i think it is then its very expensive for what it is, and i think its the hardware for the calipers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You do not have to use OEM, that is a choice you can make, some people will only use OEM and thats their choice but its entirely up to you. The price quoted in the site is not bad at all, in fact its more in line with being reasonable. The only problem you may run into if you buy them there is most garages will not install them for you as you are taking away their profit margin and usually nobody will warrranty the work should you get the work done. The only thing you show on the list that i am not sure about is the kit, if its what i think it is then its very expensive for what it is, and i think its the hardware for the calipers.
That 'Pad Kit' is pads for rears.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The link I previously attached for Canadian service specials indicated approximately $700 total for ACDelco Gold front and rear rotors and pads with a 2yr warranty. Additionally it indicates a 30day price match offer...if you get the ACDelco Gold or silver pads and rotors at the dealer, and then find a better price within 30days on a similar product from a listed competitor, they will refund the difference.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the dealer about specials and make them earn your business. If they don't think you know about the specials they aren't going to just offer them up to you

·
Registered
307 Posts
If just an R & R on pads and rotors, watch videos and do it yourself ( with a buddy ). Save yourself about 50% of quoted price or more. Only suggestion is buy quality parts, saving you from doing them again sooner. There fewer and fewer things we can still do ourselves on our cars to save $, take advantage of it if you can.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I checked online and came across this site gmcpartscanada-spg.ca where I can buy OEM pads and rotors for about $400 total (they have 50% sale right now). Does anyone know if this site is legit? Do I have to buy OEM or can I buy some other good quality brand for about the same or bit less?
I usually buy replacement parts for our vehicles at Rock Auto or Amazon unless I have to have a part immediately, then I'll check the dealer but usually buy from Advance.
OEM is good, but companies like Akebono, Bendix, Brembo, EBC Brakes, Power Stop, Raybestos, StopTech (Centric), and Wagner also offer quality product for our vehicles. There are 'generic' brands like Detroit Axle and Maxx Brakes on Amazon that I've used on some of my other vehicles (and those of family and friends that I've repaired) that seem to be holding up well so far. Our '17 currently has 90K miles on it and its factory rear parts, and 25K miles on the RK front rotors and Ultimax 2 pads from EBC Brakes that I got for about $200 US from Amazon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The nox is my wifes car.
Shes the stop and go driver.
She averages 16 to 17 mpg in the 3.6 equinox.
While i average 24 to 26 mpg in my larger 3.6 Traverse.
We live in Los Angeles.
I will say that I have never replaced rotors on any of my daily drivers.
Even my 2003 trailblazer is still on factory rotors.

Speaking of which, my traverse just passed the trailblazer mileage wise this past saturday.
Your wife is like mine - she uses up gas and brake pads despite driving slower overall. She also sees about 16 MPG, and I'll get about 20. We live in Oklahoma City. As a general rule, in congested traffic, I accelerate less quickly than the other vehicles and coast instead of braking when avoidable. On the other hand, I do a lot of high-speed driving if the road is mostly clear, and I occasionally need to REALLY use the brakes, so the front rotors were slightly warped. They only pulsated during heavy stops, but I replaced them when I swapped out the OEM pads (which lasted about 65K miles), but everything out back is still from the factory.
Congratulations on the mileage milestone. Our Uplander recently passed 250K miles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, my 2013 3.6 Terrain has 53K miles on OEM brakes and they have only 20%+/- wear. My previous vehicle was a 2001 Chevy Tahoe and my first brake job was done at 100K miles... Obviously, it's your call on when you want to replace... Unless you're driving with your foot on the brakes all the time, your vehicle with 37K miles should not need brakes. Maybe take it to an independent mechanic and ask them to check the wear.
Good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts