GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Equinox with the 2.4L 4cyl, bought it about 3yrs ago from my sister. Had 110k then, roughly 130k now. This code showed up soon after I bought it, suspected dirty gas since it had been sitting a while when she was trying to sell it. Threw some fuel cleaner in it, ran it through some tanks of fresh fuel and light went off. Couple weeks later, came back on.

Mechanic cousin suspected timing issues, decided to put in a new timing chain and components since it was time anyways. Light went off for a couple months, came back on. Always the same code, P219A. I've tried injector cleaner, and always get Costco gas which is supposed to be pretty good.

Since then I've been just dealing with it either being on or off, since the car runs fine either way. However, I'm trying to get a state inspection this month and the light went off for a week or so. Great, set up and appointment to get it inspected, and it just came back on the day before my appointment.

Might as well try to figure it out this time, and hopefully keep it off. It seems to pop up more during the winter, and we just had some cold weather come through which I suspect is what triggered it to come on again. Or could it be winter gas causing issues?

I'm a shadetree mechanic, so am capable of replacing a lot of parts, I just don't have the diagnostic tools that might be needed to figure this out. Before I start throwing injectors/sensors/etc at this thing, where is a good place to start?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
DTC P219A can be set by a few things.
Most common are defective O2 sensors, spark plugs, or misfire in one or more cylinders.
Checking your fuel trims would be helpful.
I would start there.

Not as common are:
Leaking injector
Fuel in crankcase
Vacuum leak or leaking exhaust
Aftermarket or bad air filter

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I checked fuel trims with Torque app, they seem pretty stable around 0% with adjustments +/-10%, however I do see some spikes to +29% when decelerating with no throttle. Googling says this is normal. O2 sensor voltage also fluctuates between 0V and .9V, so normal there as well I guess.

I might try resetting the fuel trims and start monitoring fresh. Anyone know how to do that on these vehicles? Disconnect battery for a while?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Under plus or minus 3% is good and normal. Don't count in deacceleration spikes as system puts a little fuel in randomly. Disconnecting battery may reset trim but it will clear emission monitors and that's not good if you have a state inspection to go through soon and are in a passing condition now.

P219A CHEVROLET code possible causes

• Leaking or contaminated fuel injectors
  • Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
  • Leaking evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve
  • Exhaust or intake air system leaks
  • Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system
  • Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system is leaking or the valve is stuck open
  • Ignition system
  • Incorrectly seated engine oil dipstick, tube or oil fill cap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm OK with clearing the monitors, I know how to set them and I'll be checking to make sure they're passed before bringing it in for inspection. My hope is that the code stays off, monitors pass and I can get it inspected. Then work on figuring it out as I drive it legally.

Thank you for the list of things to check though, once the code comes back up I'l go through it.

Also had to get a punctured tire repaired on it, just more annoying stuff to deal with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts