GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night my check engine light came on. I went to AutoZone and they scanned it. Came back with a P0420 code, which says the Bank 1 catalyst system efficiency was below threshold for a predetermined period of time. They say I need to replace the catalytic converter(s). My question is, would it be better to replace the o2 sensors first and see what happens? There are no other codes so as far as the car is concerned the sensors are ok.

On a related note, about a month ago I had the piston rings replaced under the service bulletin for excessive oil consumption. The dealer did the test and determined it was using oil excessively. One of the possible issues with the converter (if it is indeed bad) is being fouled with oil from excessive oil consumption. Since the converter wouldn't have been fouled if the engine wasn't using excessive oil, would GM cover the converters and their replacement? As info this is a 2011 2wd 2.4L with about 109000 right now.

·
Registered
10,479 Posts
Btoth566 said:
So last night my check engine light came on. I went to AutoZone and they scanned it. Came back with a P0420 code, which says the Bank 1 catalyst system efficiency was below threshold for a predetermined period of time. They say I need to replace the catalytic converter(s). My question is, would it be better to replace the o2 sensors first and see what happens? There are no other codes so as far as the car is concerned the sensors are ok.

On a related note, about a month ago I had the piston rings replaced under the service bulletin for excessive oil consumption. The dealer did the test and determined it was using oil excessively. One of the possible issues with the converter (if it is indeed bad) is being fouled with oil from excessive oil consumption. Since the converter wouldn't have been fouled if the engine wasn't using excessive oil, would GM cover the converters and their replacement? As info this is a 2011 2wd 2.4L with about 109000 right now.
I think that you should run that past your dealer. I highly suspect that your cat problem was caused by the oil burning. If the dealer disagrees, then I would run it up the chain higher thru the GM CS reps. Let us know how you made out. In fact, I think that others have had this same issue. Try a search, and see how they made out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think that you should run that past your dealer. I highly suspect that your cat problem was caused by the oil burning. If the dealer disagrees, then I would run it up the chain higher thru the GM CS reps. Let us know how you made out. In fact, I think that others have had this same issue. Try a search, and see how they made out.

I am currently dealing with this - GM is saying that I am days outside of their extended (10yr/120k mile) coverage even though I have been having this issue for about a year, and it was never correctly diagnosed by them. (And not for nothing but I only have ~75k miles on the car). I purchased this car brand new and have had it serviced solely by GM the entire time (10yrs) that I have owned it. I also had the oil consumption issue and they refused to cover that, I ended up paying out of pocket (after my engine almost seized because they told me to drive the car so that the oil could deplete 3 times before they would fix it). Was there a class action suit established? How did you end up making out? I am at wit's end with this vehicle, and I am a healthcare worker amidst this crazy pandemic. I cannot afford this right now, and I need this vehicle. Please let me know, thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts

I am currently dealing with this - GM is saying that I am days outside of their extended (10yr/120k mile) coverage even though I have been having this issue for about a year, and it was never correctly diagnosed by them. (And not for nothing but I only have ~75k miles on the car). I purchased this car brand new and have had it serviced solely by GM the entire time (10yrs) that I have owned it. I also had the oil consumption issue and they refused to cover that, I ended up paying out of pocket (after my engine almost seized because they told me to drive the car so that the oil could deplete 3 times before they would fix it). Was there a class action suit established?? I am at wit's end with this vehicle, and I am a healthcare worker amidst this crazy pandemic. I cannot afford this right now, and I need this vehicle. Please let me know, thank you!

·
Registered
534 Posts
There was a lawsuit... Ur car needs to be below 125k like well below 125 or they wont even consider it... Unfortunately all gm has been doing is pushing customers away... Even if u call corporate they will insult u, act like ur bieng stupid and push u off the phone... It's messed up. They are more than willing to charge customers 7500 dollars to slap the motor together its a huge joke.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I swear my car burned oil like crazy... We always complaining at the dealership... Finally they let us have it... Took the car for 2 days lol when I got it back it was in the same spot we left it like EXACTLY the same spot they said they rebuilt the motor but there was absolutely no evidence the work had been done...still burned oil...they gave us a b.s. list of parts they used and charged warranty 7k+ THE CAR EVEN HAD STOCK PISTONS_ RINGS ECT WHEN I TOOK IT APART...IT EVEN HAD DIRTY OIL WHEN WE PICKED IT UP!...so disappointing

·
Registered
8 Posts
There was a lawsuit... Ur car needs to be below 125k like well below 125 or they wont even consider it... Unfortunately all gm has been doing is pushing customers away... Even if u call corporate they will insult u, act like ur bieng stupid and push u off the phone... It's messed up. They are more than willing to charge customers 7500 dollars to slap the motor together its a huge joke.

My car is definitely below that! 75,000 miles on it. Do you have info on the lawsuit? I can't seem to find one for this Catalytic converter (p0420) issue, I only see the oil consumption issue itself (which says you're out of luck at 7.5 years of course). My oil issue happened JUST outside of that as well... Please let me know if there is a new lawsuit thank you!

·
Registered
229 Posts
They did this to me with mis matching paint !

·
Registered
534 Posts
My car is definitely below that! 75,000 miles on it. Do you have info on the lawsuit? I can't seem to find one for this Catalytic converter (p0420) issue, I only see the oil consumption issue itself (which says you're out of luck at 7.5 years of course). My oil issue happened JUST outside of that as well... Please let me know if there is a new lawsuit thank you!
Lol well... They claim to have sent notices to all qualified owners and its a TSB they claim it's being done.. They were found guilty and lost in court... The dealer is supposed to do a consumption test cant burn more than like a quart every thousand miles... As far as the catylitic converter goes they will go to great lengths to not fix that also...

·
Registered
534 Posts
oh yea p0420 only? just have someone pop out the downstream 02 sensor and plug all the holes around the sensor but NOT the one hole in the tip(there is like 10) with some exhaust system sealer or something like high temp jb weld...ect lol the car would think the cat is more efficient... they also sell these little 02 sensor bung kinda adapters with a little bit of catylist inside there
O2 Sensor Protective Shell Plug Stainless Steel Adapter with Mini Catalyst (Straight, 1): Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
and yea oil burning absolutely positively without a doubt causes catylitic convertor fouling.

the downstream o2 sensors only job is reading the efficiency of the cat... doesnt do anything else... the upstream 02 sensor adjusts the richness... so yea tinkering with that downstream sensor is like the cheapest option and does work.
its not like the cat is going to burst into pieces or anything the exhaust should be able to flow through there but it is possible... in extreme cases

in order to test your "repair" you can either drive around like normal on like medium length up to around 30+ minute drives from cold start it will clear on its own...p0420 the 02 sensor measures the difference in oxygen on the inside and the outside of the exhaust the higher the difference the higher the voltage... with the above tricks that voltage will drop like dramatically.

·
Registered
534 Posts
it will take several drives to clear though or just one where you start from a complete cold start drive through a mixture of city / highway driving and steady speeds at different mph steady 35 steady 55 city/ highway driving or you can just clear the code by resetting the battery and wait to see if it ever comes back.

sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction with calling gm I didn't realize your motor had already been fixed I thought you were trying to get the whole job done like the motor was having issues...

·
Registered
534 Posts
U know depending on the state u live in u could either get a new cat online for like less than 300 maybe get a estimate from a exhaust shop just over the phone to replace just the can...
If u did pay to have the rings replaced I can almost guarantee they did a poor job... Used all the worn parts on the timing chain and balance chain also probably didn't clean the valves or anything its going to need new chains soon. Their crooks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
U know depending on the state u live in u could either get a new cat online for like less than 300 maybe get a estimate from a exhaust shop just over the phone to replace just the can...
If u did pay to have the rings replaced I can almost guarantee they did a poor job... Used all the worn parts on the timing chain and balance chain also probably didn't clean the valves or anything its going to need new chains soon. Their crooks.
You're awesome thank you so much! So the issue is that my state inspection is up and it wouldn't pass with the light on. I knew this was coming but I didn't have the money to fix it so I drove as long as I could but now I need it inspected. Once I finally found out about the Special Coverage thing they refused to honor it. So now my car is sitting in their dealership while I fight with corporate to fix it. I know Subaru honors warranties months after they expire. I'm a 10+ year GM customer, it's just horrible they way they are acting.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I know Subaru honors warranties months after they expire. I'm a 10+ year GM customer, it's just horrible they way they are acting.
No, Subaru does not. Just like every other manufacturer, things MAY get approved on a case by case basis.

Subaru had a class action lawsuit against them just like GM did for oil burning engines.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No, Subaru does not. Just like every other manufacturer, things MAY get approved on a case by case basis.

Subaru had a class action lawsuit against them just like GM did for oil burning engines.
Well then, this is a case that GM should be honoring. I'd fight the same if it were another manufacturer, my point was that I have family at that company and I've seen different outcomes in cases like mine (they started working there after I already had my GM).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts