GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I took it to the dealer a while ago to replace the exhaust manifold and they taking the old one out, broke the O2 sensor

·
Registered
382 Posts
Wow yea its kind of difficult to break an 02 sensor if you remove it properly with a tool... but also an exhaust leak will throw that same code. The car will determine what the problem is during a drive cycle you got to reset the computer because it will not clear THAT code on its own... a lot of codes the light will turn off but for something that's malfunctioning it will stay illuminated... I doubt that is a perminant code (stored until the computer decides its okay) but more like a temporary code that comes on every once in a while... if you have even a small exhaust leak its going to guess because it measures oxygen inside and outside the exhaust... if there is a huge difference more than what is expected it will tell you by activating a code... that code specifically means 2 different things...incorrect upstream 02 or secondary air injection pump on cold start. or both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox 4 cylinders LT, I bought it a while ago. I bought it even though it had the check engine light on, it I didn't care about it. Then, I realized that if the check engine was on it wouldn't remote start. I checked the code and it was a p0411 By definition, the code is letting you know that the ECM has detected incorrect flow in the secondary air injection system. So, I changed the pump but the Check engine came back on. So I took it to the dealer and they told me that the engine that it has is the incorrect, meaning that the one it has doesn't have the port where the valve for the air pump is suppose to go. Now I don't know what to do, because the engine is working fine and I don't want to change it. Any ideas of how to erase that code permanently?
Wow yea its kind of difficult to break an 02 sensor if you remove it properly with a tool... but also an exhaust leak will throw that same code. The car will determine what the problem is during a drive cycle you got to reset the computer because it will not clear THAT code on its own... a lot of codes the light will turn off but for something that's malfunctioning it will stay illuminated... I doubt that is a perminant code (stored until the computer decides its okay) but more like a temporary code that comes on every once in a while... if you have even a small exhaust leak its going to guess because it measures oxygen inside and outside the exhaust... if there is a huge difference more than what is expected it will tell you by activating a code... that code specifically means 2 different things...incorrect upstream 02 or secondary air injection pump on cold start. or both.

·
Registered
382 Posts
At the very least you don't have enough oxygen in the exhaust during a cold start since its calculated by the up stream 02 sensor I would look at engine data closely.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
But it had even before they change the exhaust manifold, the code it's because the engine is not receiving the air.

·
Registered
382 Posts
okay maybe I didnt read your post carefully enough YOU DID replace the secondary air injection pump? then you do have 2 hoses coming off the airbox? One main hose and one that goes to the pump right?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I would trace the line from the air pump to the exhaust manifold that's where its supposed to connect you wont have any noise but a couple pieces along the exhaust manifold are probably not connected. wrong manifold like...the one without secondary air going directly into the exhaust... needs to have a port on the exhaust before the 02 sensor..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Is there any where or is it even possible to reprogram my ECM with the programation that the Non Californian Emission?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts