GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Chevy Equinox 4 cylinders LT, I bought it a while ago. I bought it even though it had the check engine light on, it I didn't care about it. Then, I realized that if the check engine was on it wouldn't remote start. I checked the code and it was a p0411 By definition, the code is letting you know that the ECM has detected incorrect flow in the secondary air injection system. So, I changed the pump but the Check engine came back on. So I took it to the dealer and they told me that the engine that it has is the the correct, meaning that the one it has doesn't have the port where the valve for the air pump is suppose to go. Now I don't know what to do, because the engine is working fine and I don't want to change it. Any ideas of how to erase that code permanently?

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
If you want to fix that code permanently, then you will have to fix the problem correctly. Duh !

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no way to fix it, the engine has no port for the secondary air pump. The pump is running but the ECM is not reading it. I just want to know if there is anyway to trick the computer.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Yea well it could be a code close though but it will actually throw he p0411 but the closest code to that would be for exhaust stream p0420,,,, it doesn't make sense but the computer can be "off" but there is a secondary air pump located underneath the intake manifold test it by pumping the brakes multiple times until hard then start the car.... if nothing goes off then its probably the abs air pump its trying to tell you is my guess these pumps go out very common... crawl underneath the car and look up into underneath the intake manifold there it is.... yea they go off too when excess pressure is in the intake manifold during a start ..... could trigger the code that u are describing. Yes its a secondary air pump and yea it goes off like once in a great while... during the conditions where it is needed if it doesnt work like.... heavy braking at idle you will throw that code.... u could also test it by pumping and pumping the brakes at a idle and listen for a wurr eventually these secondary air pumps just implode because they have plastic impellors, one will pop off and its done.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I tested, the pump runs, but the engine is not receiving the air. Because it doesn't have a ports.
From what I've seen on this forum only the California 2.4's had the secondary air injection system. Sounds like the Nox you purchased was a Cali car that has had an engine replacement with a 49 state motor. If you live in California you've got real problems because you won't pass emissions and you won't be able to re-register the car there. Same probably goes for any area that has emission testing. So as I see it you have 2 choices, replace the motor with a Cali one or resell the car in a non-emissions testing area.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have never been in California, I live in PA, it can pass inspection, because when i erase the code it appears again after 3 cold stars. The car works fine but here in the North is really cold and all i care about its the remote start. I was thinking if there was any OBD Bluetooth that erases the code everytime it appears. Do you think there is such a thing?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
PA similar to CA?
When they hook up the computer, they can tell how long ago the CEL was reset. I Believe they can see how many miles and how many cold engine starts have taken place since the CEL was turned off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I' m not sure i realized that there were 3 types of 4 cylinders engines like 2 days ago.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you guys think that if that engine needs a different programation, by reprogramming the ECM to that engine would work? Or just tell the ECM to not look at the Secondary Air Pump.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Incorrect Upstream flow detected.... in the exhaust detected from the 02 sensor.... do you have a smaller hose on your airbox? not the main one but a smaller rubber hose coming off the side?

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
There is no way to fix it, the engine has no port for the secondary air pump. The pump is running but the ECM is not reading it. I just want to know if there is anyway to trick the computer.
Surely, since this is a configurable item on the engine, there is a configurable parameter in the ECM called something like “SecAirPumpInstalled?”, which is simply a Boolean variable (yes/no). The ECM’s program has it set ON (I.e. : yes). It just needs to be turned OFF and all the associated logic will be skipped.

But how do you turn it OFF?

1.) The dealer? Oh no! That’ll be $150 minimum - IF they’ll even do it - and then if the ECM is ever updated in the future, your “patch” will probably be lost!

2.) One of those “aftermarket” people (who claim to re-write ECM programs)? But again - the “patch” could be lost down the road. An independent mechanic with a sophisticated Tech programmer might also be capable, but that might be hard to find.

3.) What about a wholesale replacement of the ECM (using a junkyard unit from the same year, but non-CA model)? You’d probably still end up at the dealership to make it all work, though ... which would feel like you’d be paying twice for something the dealer should be able to do just using your current ECM.

This is such a simple thing to do, but you have to have access and the right tools. An honest person could do this in about 10 minutes, and wouldn’t even charge for it, but I said “honest person”...

·
Registered
811 Posts
Cars sold new in NJ and NY are CA emissions equipped so getting a used one in PA is very likely.
I live on the state line of all 3 BTW.

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
382 Posts
U could look at the wiring diagram, either splice in or add pins directly off the ecu if needed, buy everything like the air box, tubing, pump and possibly updated manifold. 😆 is there any other codes or pending codes that come up along with that?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do you guys think that if that engine needs a different programation, by reprogramming the ECM to that engine would work? Or just tell the ECM to not look at the Secondary Air Pump.
that would work making the ecu say no code for p0411 idk but sounds like you can either take a look at the data coming off the 02 sensors or figure out what is going on wrong during a cold start during the first minute or so causing that issue. You definitely need a scanner with live stream data that would tell you what the upstream 02 sensor is doing.... its heated... my guess is the 02 sensor is crapping out... how long have you owned the vehicle and how long has the issue been coming up? I would say that any code between p0410-p0420 is the actual issue... have you tried resetting the ecu? The ecm is programmed to run wide like even if the car is breaking down the computer will tell it how to run. If you are having 02 sensor issues the computer is just guessing based on the data it receives from the sensors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking in changing the engine head. If buy a California Emission Engine Head, would it work?

·
Registered
382 Posts
The heads are the same but, check out that upstream 02 sensor data it should bounce around a bit like between .2 and .8v or so they send a signal to the pcm... its heated so during a cold start if the heater is not working you could get that p0411 also during a start is when fuel injectors will stick and the car could run really rich....causing that code like I edited above its like a p0410 to p0420 the computer is accurate but when it comes to anything like misfires, exhaust codes, something like that its going to just let you know what it thinks is the problem... could be something totally unrelated

·
Registered
382 Posts
changing the head would be a lot of work... u got a tight A55 timing chain running through there and it doesn't just pop off ur looking at a 500$ minimum and about a weekend worth of punishment.

·
Registered
382 Posts
If you do replace the upstream 02 sensor make sure its only acdelco and I would recommend if you have owned it for a while and its a freak incident the code is just on... until you reset it... go through the drive cycles again but first run about a half a tank of gas with whole bottle of fuel injector cleaner along with an Italian tune up for 1/4 of a tank. FILL IT UP>>Then reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a while.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts