GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 terrain 2.4 came to me with loud lifter tick. 186000 mi. Plugs looked like originals. Had 7 to 8 qts. Oil in her plugs and boots were oil soaked. Noticed moisture on two of the coil boots. Timing chain loose as all get out. Phasers were sticking had new phaser solionds so someone been in there. Owner is upside down in car big time so doing job for as least as possible. So rationalized it's the the timing chain making the noise hitting the upper guard. No luck like spitting in the wind lifter tick still loud as ever but running. So removed cams replaced all lifters and rockers. Cams are worn particularly on #3 exhaust lobes on back side but appear to have an acceptable surface. Back together runs like out of time solid miss on #3 but lifter tik is gone. Retimed again thinking I'm 180 out. Still #3 miss. So I got intake off ready to pull injectors tube and read something bout oil and moisture in boots in valve cover. And now thinking about it owner is sure they didnt over fill the oil soon doesnt smell like fuel old oil that is I saved it. But definitely smelling a gas odor in the new oil. Soooooo since I'm losing my behind here I was wondering if you good folks have some good advice. Stop needs new head ? I stopped at pulling fuel rail. I'll post a pick of old plugs and boot moisture plus plugs were sopping with oil up to their seats. Thankyou appreciate any opinions.
Light Material property Gas Auto part Automotive tire
Light Gas Auto part Technology Machine
Automotive tire Household hardware Nickel Engineering Cylinder

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply. No I doing a compression test in the morning. My otc scanner says coil power is ok but not sure how it know this . What I'm worried about is that 2 of the plugs were covered in oil so I guess oil pushed up into the sparkplug wells and the fact that there moisture on the two related boots. Is that normal for boots to have moisture on them. I had read there were some porious casting problems that caused this. But back to basics compression spark fuel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compression results
1) 255
2) 265
3) 0
4) 285 stone cold dry
Well crap. This poor motor missed some oil changes and had **** near 8 qts of oil in the pan when it found me. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts