GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Equinox 1LT AWD that wont clear code p0017. The problem started at 42K miles in Feb 2109. I have changed the cam shaft sensors (intake and exhaust) twice, it was recommended by a Chevy dealer to use AC Delco sensors so I switched to them, I had the timing chain and tensioner changed and new crank shaft sensor installed, but the P0017 code wont clear. The car runs great but after I clear the code it comes back on after about 4 starts. The only issue is if the car is hot, then about one in every ten starts it will stutter before it starts.
I need to get the check engine light off due to my Car is in Germany and per US Army regulations if my check engine light is on during my next inspection in August I will need to de-register my car. The Car runs great and only has 55,000 miles so I can not afford to junk it.

Any guidance will be appreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
You say you changed the cam shaft sensors did you change the cam solenoids on top of the engine if its a 2.4L?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes I changed both intake and exhaust solenoids, first with a non-OEM brand, then with AC delco solenids, one with a gray connector and one with a black connector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m experiencing the same issue but not as often with my 2015. I noticed it does it less with fresh oil. I’m thinking of trying 10w40 vs 10w30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
150 Posts
Are you using the correct oil. Is it up to the proper level. Did the shop perform a crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure after CPS replacement. That procedure stores the crankshaft position variation values in the ECM. Not saying that will cure the problem for sure but it is necessary when replacing the CPS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been using full synthetic 5-30. I typically change it every 4,000 miles or so.

How would conduct a crankshaft Position Variation Learn procedure after CPS replacement? I have taken it to two German mechanics, one uses a Snap-on ODB reader and the other has a TECH 2 ODB Scanner. They have said a BOSCH ECM requires a re-learn, but they said they could not perform any type of relearn on my GM ECM.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pop off the valve cover, there is probably a ton of slop in the timing chain look down into the motor with flashlight check to see if both chain the timing chain guides are in place and not broken most likely a timing chain related issue/ stretching or broken tensioner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts