GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Owner's Manual Issues

8K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Colt Hero 
#1 ·
Finally got around to reading my owner's manual, and as I did, the first twenty or so pages simply fell out of it as I turned each page ! The book looked pristine to begin with, but I guess the glue used on the binding was no good (or overly dried out).

Anybody else have this happen with their manual?

Also, I didn't notice it at first, but now I realize that the manual did not come with one of those leather (or vinyl) zippered covers that you always get (you know - the one that has the embossed logo on it and makes the manual feel kind of special). My manual was simply thrown into one of those freezer-type ziplock bags with all the other paperwork! I left a call with the salesman to check into both of these things and he said he could probably get me another manual if I bring mine back to the dealership (45 miles away ... but I guess I could mail it to them). And as far as the zippered covers - he said that's how they've been handing them out at his dealership .... in the ziplock bags ... no fancy covers!!

Is this a dealership choice, or are they all being handed out this way?

I know a lot of people don't think much of the owner's manual, don't read it, and eventually lose it, but it just seems "unpolished" to be handing out manuals without the traditional covers.

Of course, if NOBODY received a cover with their manual, then you know where this is going: NO MORE MANUAL. The next thing is they'll be telling you to go online and print it out yourself, or they'll be providing something online that is searchable - which might be better in the long run anyway, I guess...

See less See more
#3 ·
Mine came in a ziplock bag also. First vehicle I've bought in a long time that the manual didn't have a cover on it. I saw an ad the other day for an Asian brand car that included an iPad with the owners manual installed and a nice leather cover on top of that.

#4 ·
Black Granite LTZ said:
Mine came in a ziplock bag also. First vehicle I've bought in a long time that the manual didn't have a cover on it. I saw an ad the other day for an Asian brand car that included an iPad with the owners manual installed and a nice leather cover on top of that.
That car is the Hyundai Equus. It also starts north of $60k IIRC.

GM isnt the only one getting rid of the cover. Ive test driven a number of cars from Hyundai's to Dodge's and the majority dont have a cover.

Also, FWIW, you can look at the manual online too.

#7 ·
Black Granite LTZ said:
Mine came in a ziplock bag also.
X2

However we modified the factory ziplock to a thicker mil-hefty bag...
hope that doesn't adversely affect the warranty...roflmao

#8 ·
Soon the console displays will come standard and the manual could be built into the hard drive. :)

#9 ·
i had to go back to dealer to get owners manual since dealer let me drive off without verifying it was in the vehicle. then i noticed i did not have warranty manual...dealer claimed i had everything i was supposed to have. called gmc...they transferred me to sales to sell me an warranty manual...

i called back to gmc, and upset at them said i had no intention of buying warranty manual after paying $30k...they called dealer to tell them to send me one.

salesperson then called me to ask why i called gmc....i told him because i asked him twice for the warranty manual and did not intend on asking third time....but he did honor his original offer to give me free touch up paint...

so anyway, they were pretty good to deal with...but good be better....

#11 ·
mIX said:
Soon the console displays will come standard and the manual could be built into the hard drive. :)
and still...there will be thousands who won't read it

#12 ·
I guess I was treated like royalty....well I guess you could consider it compared to your zip lock bags. I didn't get no leather pouch by no means but i did receive a nice folder for manual, warranty manual and card slots on it. It was just plastic ones with the dealers name but it work great. I have enough leather in the vehicle don't need more for the manual ;D.

I take it this was a dealer choice though as it did have the dealer name. Just another thing that sets them apart from others I guess.

#13 ·
First of all, don't believe Helm when they say they give you a cover for the Equinox manual. They don't. Allready went that route. I got a cover on Ebay for a Silverado that fit perfectly. Even had the Chevy bowtie embossed on the front. The cost was around $10.

#14 ·
mIX said:
Great, so when your need it most (say, battery is up) you can't read it.

Stick to paper please. An option would be nice, but it shouldn't be a replacement of paper.

#15 ·
rickbb63 said:
First of all, don't believe Helm when they say they give you a cover for the Equinox manual. They don't. Allready went that route. I got a cover on Ebay for a Silverado that fit perfectly. Even had the Chevy bowtie embossed on the front. The cost was around $10.
Yeah, they're not really clear about this on their website, but the cover is like $10 and the manual is like $25 (I believe). Sounds like you paid the same thing Helm charges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.