GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 torrent has overheat message. Temp gauge reads cold. not Sure if equinox ever had message center? Tech said it could be dash cluster or ecm or bcm. And $$ to track it down. I can get all 3 parts from donor torrent. Same year as mine. Could I swap all 3 as a cure? Or are there other hidden computers in suv?

·
Registered
50 Posts
How does the exhaust look? Clear or Smokey? Potentially a bed temp sensor all the way up to a bad engine part like a head gasket. How does the car idle and have you been losing any fluids?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it 1 week ago. Driven it for 3-4 days. Motor is not overheating. I have done 3 equinoxes for heads. easy job. Engine compartment is bone dry. Coolant level is ok. Runs great. No cold miss or any stumbles. temp gauge reads cold. Never moves. Message center says motor overheat. Shut off ac. Service Tpms. Service stabilitrak. Abs light is on. Tcs light is on. Cel is on. Tach was at 8k. I took off lens and moved it to zero. Lasted 1 day. Yesterday it said 4K at 20mph. So the tach issue is back. Speedo works. I think gas works? It says 3/4. Hope it’s not empty.

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
Often these cars will display odd engine codes when the battery is low/discharged. May want to look for that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alt is good. 14v at start. Sensor is 2.2kohms cold. Wire has 5vdc supply voltage. Found a thread about same issues and it said something about thermostat? Could not open thread though. rad fans are running on high after start. Motor feels proper temp. After doing other head jobs I kinda have a feel for motor temps. I could inspect thermostat.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Do you have an I/R heat gun?
Shoot the rad hoses before and after the thermostat to see if is opening.
Also shoot the radiator, top and bottom to see if it is working.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Fans kick onto high at start and overheat message, that points to a bad sensor.
Not sure on your model but many have multiple sensors that control fans and engine warnings but gauge is separate sensor. You can have multiple engine sensors and have one in the radiator for example.
A manual or Alldata subscription would be in order.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I suspect a coolant temperature sensor or sensor cable or themostat failure....The ECM not getting any temperature reading will cause it to behave as if it is in overheat mode.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Agree with the previous comments regarding the Temperature Sensor.

But also a question for the mechanics here: Is the Temperature Sensor always sitting in coolant ... even if the Thermostat hasn't opened yet? If it is, could it be another input that is fooling the ECM into reading the Temperature Sensor too soon?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts