GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Just 4 days ago I bought a used 2015 GMC Terrain SLE from a dealership.

I got in this morning, started it up and was puzzled by engine temp being all the way on C (cold). (It's August 2023, this was around 830am with lowest temp overnight of 67 F.)

I shut off the engine,popped the hood and orange coolant is over the "full cold" mark in the overflow.

I notice the temp gauge never goes to halfway, and seems to stay at the "7 o clock position"

Is this normal for a terrain?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hi all.

Just 4 days ago I bought a used 2015 GMC Terrain SLE from a dealership.

I got in this morning, started it up and was puzzled by engine temp being all the way on C (cold). (It's August 2023, this was around 830am with lowest temp overnight of 67 F.)

I shut off the engine,popped the hood and orange coolant is over the "full cold" mark in the overflow.

I notice the temp gauge never goes to halfway, and seems to stay at the "7 o clock position"

Is this normal for a terrain?
Over filling will not effect engine temp. As for over filling, when you car gets to temp, the overage will just go out the overflow. And for your temp reading, take a pic, so we can see exactly what you are seeing. But sounds normal. I live in So Calif, and it takes about 20 mins over driving to get car to normal operating temp

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Eventually youll want to get that level to the full cold mark.... simply for monitoring coolant loss.
When ever cold it should return to that spot. Any deviation from that and you know something is wrong.
Id get a straw and dip it in the overflow an cover the straw tip, little by little exrracting coolant.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,510 Posts
@seanarthurmachado : The Temperature Gauge is a half-circle arc that runs from 9 (COLD) to 3 (HOT) o'clock. If it's sitting at 7 o'clock ... you're saying it's on the line just before mid-scale?? If so, that's OK. It's when it starts creeping to mid-scale (and breaching) that it can indicate a problem (although many times that's due to air that hasn't yet 'burped' out (if the coolant was recently changed).

When you first start the engine (after it's been sitting for a while), the Temperature Gauge is going to be on "COLD" for a little while until the engine warms up.

On the plastic overflow tank, there are usually two lines ... one for COLD and another for HOT. Normally you fill the system to the COLD line, and as the system heats up and the Coolant expands, it'll rise to the HOT line.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts