GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have GMC terrain 2011,I just recharged my AC using red tek refrigerant R12a. The car capacity was 654 g and I used 2 bottles 454 g, so basically overcharged for 254 g. Is this can damage my AC compressor or any other parts in the AC system?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi

I have GMC terrain 2011,I just recharged my AC using red tek refrigerant R12a. The car capacity was 654 g and I used 2 bottles 454 g, so basically overcharged for 254 g. Is this can damage my AC compressor or any other parts in the AC system?
Uh, R12a, where did you find that? I believe the correct refrigerant would be R134a. If you did in fact use R12a, you have bigger problems than an overcharge. Do not use your a/c, do not pass go and collect $200, drive straight to a competent automotive a/c shop and have the system evacuated and filled with the proper refrigerant and oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked out and got the info from them RED TEK® 12a is compatible will R12 or R134a systems including Metal components. Mineral and Synthetic (Ester and PAG) lubricants.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
To answer your first question, yes overcharging can cause damage your A/C system.
Overcharging can give you too high pressure on the high side.
This can pop a hose, compressor seal, O-ring, condenser etc.

Why didn't you use R134a?
It's the right refrigerant, available everywhere, for $5 a can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts