GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I imagine most of us are heeding the Federal Government, CDC and local health authority guidelines, so I thought I post a thread where we all can share thoughts, ideas, tips and importance what we feel this . . is or is not.

* * * If you find any websites or sources of info you find helpful . . . Please share.

We cancelled our annual Spring vacation to Florida about 3 weeks ago when things started to reveal that it might be wise to do so. As it is. . . I've viewed the area on various web cams where were go and most stores are closed, restaurants (if open) only carry out or pick up, and the beaches are closed.

Before this all got intense, of course the stock market dropped +30% and wife called me one day from work saying they were making plans so she and others could work from home. So now our laundry/mud room with a small desk is a home office with her lap top and larger monitor she brought home from work.

On TV news casts, I see some confusing and disconcerting things. Just now, they showed national guard members somewhere in California packing food boxes to distribute to some people and only a few had masks on. IF any hare infected and cough or sneeze onto the contents distributed to recipients .. . ?
Make shift masks or even wearing a scarf over the nose and mouth might be wise.

I know some have initially taken this all lightly and still have gone on Spring break trips soon to be returning. IMHO . . . the "curve flattening" of COVID-19 infections will be seeing another spike as travelers return to home. Many are driving, or using public transportation. Few will be self quarantined for the 14 days after traveling that the CDC is advising.
Anyway. . not sure where this will all end up. Who can be with little chance for a vaccine for 18 to 24 months.

Thoughts. . . . ideas. . . . feelings?

·
Registered
185 Posts
What I see on the news, is the total conflict between informed reporting and hysterical body count additions. It reminds me of the days of Vietnam when the nightly news puts on the daily body counts. If we are smart we will just turn off the news and keep on trucking. Nobody has said yet what the total amount of deaths are due to ordinary flu, but that will not get ratings. This does not mean that I take the deaths lightly but we all need to get a grip..

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right about the count aspect and that not much is being compared to what the current total fatalities are for the seasonal flu. The reporting does remind of when many of us were living through the Vietnam era and even in the military back then. . . so no disrespect to veterans and their service. I did my time during that.

At the time we cancelled our vacation we were concerned with potential travel restrictions and getting back home. It's just as well. I've checked web cams in the area where we would have stayed and the restaurants, pubs and eateries that remain open are only carry out if they are open. Other stores and many venues and activities are closed.
So we would pretty much be resolved to where we are now.
So wife is off this week and doing some things around the house and take a drive once in awhile when the sun is shinning. Take a walk on the trail behind our house.

Going to the grocery store tomorrow. . . . woo-hoo.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My county has been under a "shelter in place" order since the 13th of March. My office is closed, and everyone is working remotely from home. Restaurants are take-out or delivery only. Essential businesses are the only places permitted to be open (grocery, gas, pharmacy, Wal-Mart/Target), and any non-essential business that remains open will be ordered to close by law enforcement.

Our shelter in place order is supposed to be lifted this Friday, but based on what is going on in neighboring counties and large cities, I am suspecting it will get extended indefinitely. Grocery stores are picked over, and restrictions are in place for cases of water, packages of toilet paper, paper towels, milk, etc. Typically 2 per customer per day.

I drove my Equinox for the first time in over a week today just to run it and get it out. In a 10 minute drive, a UPS truck was the only other vehicle I saw on the road. Very creepy.

I am starting to think this will be the new normal for the next 12 weeks or so.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing a person shouldn't really want to start doing. . . . don't search for COVID-19 conspiracy.

There are all kinds ranging from fake news to international banking plots to resolve deficits and massive international debits to countries like . .. . ta da . .. China.
And then there is the one about manipulation to move to a world currency.

There are even more scenarios. Some vacation areas are asking people not to come to their seasonal cabins since the health care is so limited they fear they won't be even to handle the needs of year long residents.

We are resolved to probably not even open our summer cabin some 330 miles away.

Am more concerned and worry about our adult kids, their jobs and grand kids well being.

·
Registered
53 Posts
JayTee: Did your Acadia remind you to wash your hands? Or to practice social distancing? Wife's Acadia did both when she went to work the other day and when she got home...Same day that GM announced that OnStar would be free for a limited time. Figured they were pinging the units? We don't subscribe to OnStar. Terrain didn't do either...I don't subscribe in it either.

Either way...gave her a good chuckle.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Conspiracy theories aside, no doubt China now has it in their playbook how to bring this country to it's knees, at least economically. No matter the outcome of the 2020 presidential election, I can see congress keeping itself "busy" with endless congressional and senate hearings on Chinese "meddling" in the 2020 election. One branch of our government is seriously broken, it's time for term limits and the end to career politicians.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JayTee: Did your Acadia remind you to wash your hands? Or to practice social distancing? Wife's Acadia did both when she went to work the other day and when she got home...Same day that GM announced that OnStar would be free for a limited time. Figured they were pinging the units? We don't subscribe to OnStar. Terrain didn't do either...I don't subscribe in it either.

Either way...gave her a good chuckle.

I'll find out tomorrow. I have no subscription other than just the 3 or 5(?) year free basic and we also carry some hands free calling minutes since they gave us 100 for free and 300 for $25 or something and still have that. I get offers to add more for $10 from time to time to keep it active for calls.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Ive been remote since the 12th.
I have driven the car only 1 time since. that was on March 17. Have not moved the Traverse since,
Wife has to go to work, and uses the Equinox

We are using our Earthquake food supply that we have stocked. We have to cycle through that food anyway.
We did have a fridge full of fresh food.

But I have ventured out....Ive always been a runner....

I set my alarm for 430 am. by 450 am im out the door and off on my runs.
I get back home and begin my workday at 530.
Few hrs later im feeding the kids.

In order to make our food last longer----
Were throwing in food from my garden/backyard
This week weve been sauteing Beet greens. Then we also cook the beets.
Also harvesting Cilantro.
we pick Avocados off the tree.------------yup- Guacamole. Yumm.

I also 'harvest' Cactus pads as they reach the right size. With spring- my cactus plant is sprouting new baby pads like crazy- cactus actually grows FAST when its the right time of year......the cactus is Free food.
I remove the thorns, and put it on the griddle. Add a little salt. Yummm. No complaints from my 2 kids.

The kids and I also planted seeds in our starter packs. Cilantro, tomato, tomatillo, squash. green beans

The good thing is the garden has some volunteers from last summer. Some tomato plants that already have tomatoes on them.

The beet greens---
Most people throw them away,
This is how I make them.
Use coconut oil, and minced garlic and ginger root. Get that going---- OH MAN-- garlic and ginger smell---- WOW!
Then add the leaves with a little water.. so they begin to wilt.

Then I add Sesame oil. Cook a little more.
Add a little salt
Then squeeze some fresh Mexican Lime. (yup have 2 of those trees)

Serve- and shake on some toasted Sesame seeds.

Yeah--- when your kids say "MORE"...... you know its good.

We also remove 1 Sweet Mexican Lime from the tree everyday.. I peel it, and we eat it. Vitamin C.

ohhh- the beets-
I Use Vegan/Cashew butter.
But butter and chopped onion, let that heat up for a few minutes.
Then throw in the sliced up beets.
Let that cook till the beets are soft.

·
Registered
295 Posts
All sounds very good except for the beets, I hate beets! Probably because my mother made me eat to much Borscht soup when I was a kid.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ive been remote since the 12th.
I have driven the car only 1 time since. that was on March 17. Have not moved the Traverse since,
Wife has to go to work, and uses the Equinox

In order to make our food last longer----
Were throwing in food from my garden/backyard
This week weve been sauteing Beet greens. Then we also cook the beets.
Also harvesting Cilantro.
we pick Avocados off the tree.------------yup- Guacamole. Yumm.

I also 'harvest' Cactus pads as they reach the right size. With spring- my cactus plant is sprouting new baby pads like crazy- cactus actually grows FAST when its the right time of year......the cactus is Free food.
I remove the thorns, and put it on the griddle. Add a little salt. Yummm. No complaints from my 2 kids.

The kids and I also planted seeds in our starter packs. Cilantro, tomato, tomatillo, squash. green beans

The good thing is the garden has some volunteers from last summer. Some tomato plants that already have tomatoes on them.

The beet greens---
Most people throw them away,
This is how I make them.
Use coconut oil, and minced garlic and ginger root. Get that going---- OH MAN-- garlic and ginger smell---- WOW!
Then add the leaves with a little water.. so they begin to wilt.

Then I add Sesame oil. Cook a little more.
Add a little salt
Then squeeze some fresh Mexican Lime. (yup have 2 of those trees)

Serve- and shake on some toasted Sesame seeds.

Yeah--- when your kids say "MORE"...... you know its good.

We also remove 1 Sweet Mexican Lime from the tree everyday.. I peel it, and we eat it. Vitamin C.

ohhh- the beets-
I Use Vegan/Cashew butter.
But butter and chopped onion, let that heat up for a few minutes.
Then throw in the sliced up beets.
Let that cook till the beets are soft.

Copying down the recipes. . . . except, don't have all the ingredients. Hmm . . they do have cactus pads, tomatillos, ginger root, and avocados at our local grocers.
But they are not "free" . . .:(

Does Rbarrios do Grub Hub delivery? :grin:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I work at a fairly large drug and alcohol rehab (280 plus bed campus). I'm in contact with patients daily and no matter how many times I wash my hands or sanitize stuff, it's not enough. I figure it's only a matter of time before I get quarantined. Couple co-workers already are.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I work at a fairly large drug and alcohol rehab (280 plus bed campus). I'm in contact with patients daily and no matter how many times I wash my hands or sanitize stuff, it's not enough. I figure it's only a matter of time before I get quarantined. Couple co-workers already are.

Here's hoping you don not. . . get quarantined nor infected.

Continue being safe . . . the best you can.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
By the fall the ads will be on TV, did you use hand sanitizer and now have cancer, you may be eligible for compensation....
Not only that, but how about cancers arising from the virus itself ... 10, 15, 20+ years from now. Or other maladies arising from the rushed vaccines (including death ... it's happened). They like to theorize that cancers are borne from viruses ... well it'll be interesting to see if they can make any correlations when they start mining the data years from now.

·
Registered
335 Posts
well it'll be interesting to see if they can make any correlations when they start mining the data years from now.
Maybe, but I doubt it. Coronaviruses are very well known in the medical field and have been around longer than I've been alive. Maybe not some of you :smile:.

What's amazing to me is the amount of panic that can be instilled into a population with a little fear-mongering. Yup COVID-19 is a new strain; not a reason to make a run on toilet paper. A tick over 400k infected out of a population of 7.8 billion IMO is not alarm to shut down World economies.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well, Monday was our 46th Anniversary and we spent in at home with.......are you ready?.....here it comes......take out from.....Olive Garden ! lol.....Hey there was not much more to do and they had buy one get one to take home free lololol.
I told the girl there what day it was and she gave us 2 free pieces of cheese cake lololol.....who ever thought right ?

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Went out yesterday to get some food items since were are under a stay at home mandate.
Still can go out for needed things, pharmacy, doctor or clinic, food, automotive repairs or maintenance.
Shopped at 7AM at a small grocery store and got most items except eggs. So stopped a few blocks away at a Kwiktrip and they had eggs. Got 2 doz for $4. Unleaded regular there was $1.49.
Drove the 6 miles closer to home and Exxon was $1.39. Filled up and got a car wash.
Went home, unloaded groceries, made coffee and a late breakfast at 8:30 AM. Not a bad morning and hoping to stay away from stores, etc for 3 to 4 weeks at least.
We have enough in the freezer, fridge and pantry for the two of us.
Miss the grand kids, but we Skyped or Facetime the other day.

·
Registered
956 Posts
But I have ventured out....Ive always been a runner....

You're lucky you live someplace where it's warm.
This would be more bearable if it was latter in the spring and I could be in the yard more.
Since I can't go to the gym I bicycle when it's warmer than 45 and dry.
Those days have been few so far.
Sunday, Monday and Tuesday is supposed to be 60 and sunny.
This will allow me to do yard work and ride. I would really like to go to one of the Des Moines trails but with the weather that nice their may be enough people on the trail making it hard to keep a distance.

My wife is working so there's still a good chance we will get the virus even with taking precautions.

Most things in town are closed except the grocery stores.

We're in a small town so I don't thing any restaurants do delivery but you can take out.
We had take out from the Mexican restaurant last week and probably again this week to help the owner.

1 - 20 of 156 Posts