GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I haven't posted anything in quite some time, and I tried to search for my answers but would like to just ask a few myself.

My OnStar prepaid period is coming due on June 24, 2011. I would like to get the directions and connections package, but $438 or whatever it is per year is a little hefty. I cancelled my XM radio after the 3 month free trial, they didn't seem to care, but I do kinda miss it :(.

So, can you get both OnStar and XM in some kind of combo package for one price? If so, do I call OnStar to do that? Also, what is a good strategy for going about getting the best price?

Also, when I called them earlier today, I asked if the hands free calling works if I no longer have OnStar, she told me no. I was skeptical so I came on to equinoxforum.net and find out that it is. Suffice it to say, I do not feel comfortable relying on their information, I would rather take information from my fellow Equinox owners :)

Thank you kindly!

·
Registered
157 Posts
1) Onstar and XM are completely separate companies and there are no package deals that I am aware of.

2) Are you in Canada?? In the US - Directions and connections is a $100 add on to the standard $199 Onstar so the total should be $299 per year based on 1 year contract. For 3 year contract works out to about $243 per year

3) As some have said - if you call XM and ask for the half price deal - it is $77 for 1 year with no activation fee (again - US $)

4) Hands free calling through Onstar is only good until the end of one year from the purchase of hands free minutes, or the end of your Onstar contract - whichever comes first. Onstar hands free calling requires an active Onstar contract to work. (Note - if you have bluetooth that will still give you hands free through your cell phone)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply gmiemigrad :)

Yes I am in Canada, so the packages are more expensive. She told me that the safe and sound package was $18 something per month in the US, compared to $24.95/month or $298/year in Canada. With the directions and connections package it is $39.90/month and $438/year.

That XM package does not sound too bad, I will check that out :).

As for hands free calling, I guess I have no worries there, because I always have and most likely always will, just use bluetooth.

·
Registered
157 Posts
There is a savings if you go with a longer 2 or 3 year contract.

For example - a 3 year contract is approx. $326 Canadian per year for directions and connections.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
FedorekC said:
Hello all!

I haven't posted anything in quite some time, and I tried to search for my answers but would like to just ask a few myself.

My OnStar prepaid period is coming due on June 24, 2011. I would like to get the directions and connections package, but $438 or whatever it is per year is a little hefty. I cancelled my XM radio after the 3 month free trial, they didn't seem to care, but I do kinda miss it :(.

So, can you get both OnStar and XM in some kind of combo package for one price? If so, do I call OnStar to do that? Also, what is a good strategy for going about getting the best price?

Also, when I called them earlier today, I asked if the hands free calling works if I no longer have OnStar, she told me no. I was skeptical so I came on to equinoxforum.net and find out that it is. Suffice it to say, I do not feel comfortable relying on their information, I would rather take information from my fellow Equinox owners :)

Thank you kindly!
Their hands free calling won't work without onstar, but your bluetooth phone will....

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just renewed my XM for the 5th year at $77. What is the trick? Call them to "cancel". Play along with their game. Tell them that your brother (or whoever) just got it for $77 and that's the only way you will take it. Be firm. If you meet severe resistance just hang up and call back and get someone else. You will get it, and never give them a CC #, have a invoice mailed to you, because you "don't use credit cards" .....

·
Registered
5 Posts
k9kuz said:
I just renewed my XM for the 5th year at $77. What is the trick? Call them to "cancel". Play along with their game. Tell them that your brother (or whoever) just got it for $77 and that's the only way you will take it. Be firm. If you meet severe resistance just hang up and call back and get someone else. You will get it, and never give them a CC #, have a invoice mailed to you, because you "don't use credit cards" .....
Thanks for the tip. Is this Canadian price??

Alfred67

24 Posts
That is correct, I agree with the other forum member, the hands free calling will not work without an OnStar subscription but the vehicle does have bluetooth capabilities. If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,
Caron, GM Customer Service

FedorekC said:
Hello all!

Thank you kindly!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the responses, you have been very helpful :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
We just renewed our XM subscription. Got it for 5 months for $25. We'll be going on a long trip soon, that's why we decided to get it now for a few months.

·
Registered
977 Posts
As some one said XM would give you some more free time. After 9 months since the free trial ended the XM stations are coming in again. It dropped 10 times during a 10 mile trip (2X I went under some small over passes). :thumbdown:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I called Onstar and told them I was a broke student.

GM family and friends had a sale on OnStar, but I told them it wasn't enough...ended up getting 14 months for $250 for the top package. $250 for the one year ($50 discount with GM Family and Friends) plus 2 months free

1 - 13 of 13 Posts