GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Did you subscribe to Onstar after the free trial

• I did end up subscribing to Onstar after the trial - It's great and worth every penny

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I subscribed to Onstar - It's good but I still think it's a little over priced

• I'm on the fence, period. I may start a new subscription/Cancel my existing subscription in the near

• I would consider OnStar if it were better priced.

• I do not want or need Onstar even if it were significantly better priced

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I keep getting the email reminders for me to sign up to Onstar

The subscription fee here in Canada is 24.95/month or 39.90/month with the addition of turn by turn navigation.

IMO this price level is out right rediculous and would never subscribe to it.

What I do like about it is automatically sending help if you're in a crash, unlocking your doors if you lock your keys in the car and getting the email update on maintenance but over all the price is way to high for what you get. I already got a 160,000km/6year road side assistance from the dealer so that part of the service has no value to me.

I've watched all the promotional videos on the service it offers and seems like they are playing the "Fear card" to promote OnStar....what if you're in an accident, what if a hurricane is heading your way, what if you forgot your cell phone at home and still need to make an important call, what if your air pressure is low or there's a diagostic saying your vehicle isn't running properly blah, blah, blah.

Just courious what other people think.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Never got a subscription after the free trial ended, and never used the free phone minutes or tried the turn by turn directions. The only thing I could see myself using Onstar for is the turn by turn...but I rarely go anywhere that is totally unfamiliar, and if I do my Tom Tom works just fine. (and has no monthly fee) If the cost was something reasonable...say $50 per year for turn by turn (and nothing else) then I would seriously consider it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
mmarges said:
So, I keep getting the email reminders for me to sign up to Onstar

The subscription fee here in Canada is 24.95/month or 39.90/month with the addition of turn by turn navigation.

IMO this price level is out right rediculous and would never subscribe to it.

What I do like about it is automatically sending help if you're in a crash, unlocking your doors if you lock your keys in the car and getting the email update on maintenance but over all the price is way to high for what you get. I already got a 160,000km/6year road side assistance from the dealer so that part of the service has no value to me.

I've watched all the promotional videos on the service it offers and seems like they are playing the "Fear card" to promote OnStar....what if you're in an accident, what if a hurricane is heading your way, what if you forgot your cell phone at home and still need to make an important call, what if your air pressure is low or there's a diagostic saying your vehicle isn't running properly blah, blah, blah.

Just courious what other people think.
Onstar includes roadside assistance as well as many other things. View website for details. http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/plansservices

You can also extend the GM roadside assistance for around $60 CND per year. Cheaper than AAA/CAA. It also covers whomever is driving the vehicle unlike AAA/CAA that covers the individual person.(forcing you to buy coverage for each driver seperately)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Got it cuz I luv toys and for peace of mind for the wife and kids.
As Roesterman posted, it's better, IMO as well, @ $18.95 for the "Safe and Sound" plan than CAA/AAA.

Phone is great too.
We used OnStar where none of our cell phones could get service and that alone was worth the price of the minutes.

Pricey, yes, but depends where you're going and how often you use it.
May be just what you need when you least expect it.

I voted "I subscribed to Onstar - It's good but I still think it's a little over priced", just FYI.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
they kept bugging me so I called to cancel and ended up geting 14 months for the price of 12.
Came out to 142.00 (american) for the 14 months

·
Registered
86 Posts
As previously mentioned its peace of mind.....I look at it as an Insurance or warranty plan. Do I really want to pay for something I may or may not use? But if/when I use it (i.e. a major accident) will I thank my lucky stars that I had it? Of Course!

I think if you can afford it...get it.....if your really on the fence and expenses are tight....don't.

I'm personally going to renew my subscription when it runs out. The features I like the most are the safety applications, theft deterrence, directions, and diagnostic check ups. I also have an iPhone and look forward to the OnStar app that is supposed to be out any day. This allows me to do almost anything from my phone that I want to the vehicle.

I agree that it is overpriced. I think it should be along the lines of about $10/month. I think it would benefit GM/OnStar to make it an added option for people special ordering their vehicles to include lifetime Onstar services for $800-$1,000. Not only would the cost be spread out through your monthly payment, but when you went to sell your car, you could say it includes OnStar for the life of the vehicle! (Probably will never happen though!)

·
Registered
69 Posts
My wife and I tried the route assistant and did not like it. If you have to detour because of unpredictable conditions such as bad road, traffic, etc and you leave their route all you are going to get is a message "Off Route". Garmin will Recalculate and does so with each "mistake". Also, you have to call in and tell them where you are going - if they can't find what you are looking for you are SOL. Garmin's database is huge.

I am tempted for the safety and mechanical related features though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coreyp said:
I agree that it is overpriced. I think it should be along the lines of about $10/month. I think it would benefit GM/OnStar to make it an added option for people special ordering their vehicles to include lifetime Onstar services for $800-$1,000. Not only would the cost be spread out through your monthly payment, but when you went to sell your car, you could say it includes OnStar for the life of the vehicle! (Probably will never happen though!)
That's something GM should seriously consider...a one time lifetime subscription tied to the car or even at least a lifetime subscription for as long as you personally own the car (the average person only keeps a car for about 5 yrs anyway). At least you can build the cost into your payment and make it an easier pill to swallow.

Heck if GM wants to sell more of the "Higher Margin" top LTZ trim levels then perhaps offer exclusive life time or reduced rate subscriptions to LTZ buyers only. Basically an extra perk for their customers the go all out with the top trim level. They're also more likely to squeeze a few extra bucks out of the customer with money (buying the LTZ) as opposed to the customer who can barely afford the vehicle in the first place (buying the LS or 1LT)

I've also got my own GPS and road side assistance plan. And as for the maintenace reminders this should be free as it's in GM best interest to remind you and hurry you in for maintenance to spend even more money at their dealerships. Now, I would pay, lets say a $20-$25 annual fee to simply send emergency crews in case of a crash.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just another thought here. With your vehicle being a GPS and 2 way audio communication in the car I have some thoughts about privacy.

Think of all the different scenarios your privacy can be compromised with OnStar.

Who knows, GM would never admit it but who's to say. I mean...all in the name of homeland security "they" tap your phones...coudn't "they" overide Onstars security policy and let them tap your car???

Perhaps even GM could be secretly monitoring vehicle driving patterns....and selling that information to municipalities to use the statistics for road improvements or future road & route construction, or gathering crash statistics to see which intersections or roadways need some investigation and changes to make safer.

Here's another example, how about gathering information in a database to find the most heavily travelled route out of a concentrated business/industrial section and then selling that information to a popular donut shop chain to pin point them where to erect the next bill board advertisement targeting more customers to grab a coffee on the way home after a hard days work.

I know it sounds far fetched but really...with your car being a GPS and everything already in place for them to tap in regardless if you have a subscription or not...with todays massive databases all it takes is a basic front end to log and sort data worth millions and millions of dollars to different groups and organizations. Heck if this is the case then OnStar should be free.

I'm sure everyone reading this can thing up all kinds of scenarious!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I love ONSTAR and will keep it active in all my GM vehicles. Why you may ask?

Quick story...

Couple years back , while driving my Pontiac Montana SV6, with wife and dogs aboard, late at night, heading north from S. Ontario, in crappy conditions, blowing snow and sub zero temperatures, on a dark highway, I ran over some debris. Had no time to swerve to avoid it, besides, the roads were icy and any sudden move would have likely meant a skid....anyway, as the miles passed, the steering became weird, resulting in me pulling over to the side of the road, and with a flashlight, checked the vehicle...yep, you guessed, TWO very low tires, ON THE SAME SIDE of the Van and getting lower as the air was leaking out bigtime....OK, no problem....took out the cell phone and tried to make an emergency call......NO phone service...****!! ....then I remembered my Onstar. Pressed that Blue Button and was connected immediately with a very helpful lady who said she would make some calls and get back to me....She had trouble finding someone with a tow truck that was less than 200 kms away....but she persevered and found someone in a small village only 5 kms away and said he would be at my location "in minutes"....which he was...He then took my wife and dogs into his truck and then removed the first tire, loaded it into his truck and away we went back to his shop, leaving the Van jacked up with flashers going. He repaired the first tire, drove back to the Van, replaced the fixed tire, then removed the second wheel and tire and brought that back to the shop, fixed the flat, gave us all coffee, and drove us all back to the van, replaced the wheel and sent us on our way.
NO CHARGE!!! I did give him a healthy Tip though!!
Conclusion...without Onstar, I would have been stranded on a dark lonely highway, in very cold temperatures. One flat I might have managed to replace..but two..no-way!!!!
Onstar saved us all in this instance.

Because of that one occurrence I learned how important it is to have that "blue button" aboard and activated.

;D ;D

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Mrmidnite2 said:
I love ONSTAR and will keep it active in all my GM vehicles. Why you may ask?

Quick story...

Couple years back , while driving my Pontiac Montana SV6, with wife and dogs aboard, late at night, heading north from S. Ontario, in crappy conditions, blowing snow and sub zero temperatures, on a dark highway, I ran over some debris. Had no time to swerve to avoid it, besides, the roads were icy and any sudden move would have likely meant a skid....anyway, as the miles passed, the steering became weird, resulting in me pulling over to the side of the road, and with a flashlight, checked the vehicle...yep, you guessed, TWO very low tires, ON THE SAME SIDE of the Van and getting lower as the air was leaking out bigtime....OK, no problem....took out the cell phone and tried to make an emergency call......NO phone service...****!! ....then I remembered my Onstar. Pressed that Blue Button and was connected immediately with a very helpful lady who said she would make some calls and get back to me....She had trouble finding someone with a tow truck that was less than 200 kms away....but she persevered and found someone in a small village only 5 kms away and said he would be at my location "in minutes"....which he was...He then took my wife and dogs into his truck and then removed the first tire, loaded it into his truck and away we went back to his shop, leaving the Van jacked up with flashers going. He repaired the first tire, drove back to the Van, replaced the fixed tire, then removed the second wheel and tire and brought that back to the shop, fixed the flat, gave us all coffee, and drove us all back to the van, replaced the wheel and sent us on our way.
NO CHARGE!!! I did give him a healthy Tip though!![/color]
Conclusion...without Onstar, I would have been stranded on a dark lonely highway, in very cold temperatures. One flat I might have managed to replace..but two..no-way!!!!
Onstar saved us all in this instance.

Because of that one occurrence I learned how important it is to have that "blue button" aboard and activated.

;D ;D
That person is a Saint.
Wish there were more out there like that!
Thanks for sharing, Mrmidnite2.

·
Registered
306 Posts
That's a great story and proves that in many situations, OnStar is a real asset. However, to answer the question--we have decided when our trial year is up, we will not sign-up for OnStar as it's an expense we can do without. We travel a lot and our cell phone carrier provides excellent coverage nationwide and we do very little cross country traveling at night. I do, however, agree--to each his own!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess it all depends where you're located and your driving patterns and of course the amount of extra money you have to burn.

The service no boubt has at least some features that would be a benefit to every driver but for most people, the monthly fee is just too outrageous.

I would also consider a very low annual fee (lets say $40-$50 to simply have an activated account) but then have a much higher pay-per-use option. Hey, I'll agree to be billed an extra $50-$100 each time my airbags go off in a crash or I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, locked my keys in the car or a thief just car jacked me!

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
It's like an insurance policy. You can pay for years and never use it, but that one time that you need it, you are happy that you have it. But, like insurance, the annual fee seems way too high.

I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
143 Posts
mmarges said:
I guess it all depends where you're located and your driving patterns and of course the amount of extra money you have to burn.

The service no boubt has at least some features that would be a benefit to every driver but for most people, the monthly fee is just too outrageous.

I would also consider a very low annual fee (lets say $40-$50 to simply have an activated account) but then have a much higher pay-per-use option. Hey, I'll agree to be billed an extra $50-$100 each time my airbags go off in a crash or I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere, locked my keys in the car or a thief just car jacked me!
You make some good points there mmarges...The cost of the monthly subscription is high I suppose...however, in my story above, imagine that I did not have Onstar available. No cell phone coverage there. Freezing conditions and stuck on the side of Hwy 69 near the French River....even if someone had stopped and eventually called for help for me, imagine the cost of towing the van up to the nearest City (Sudbury)..likely more than the cost of a years subscription to Onstar for that one occurrence.
I understand from the "Saint" (thanks for that gearhead ) that GM paid the guy for his superb service calling it "Roadside Assistance" as the Van was still under warranty..he deserved every dollar they paid him too.
Still...I have Onstar in my Terrain, and I'm happy, the wife is happy, and if we ever need Onstar again, I know that a nice young lady will be anxious to talk to us and assist us at the simple press of "The Blue Button"...

:D :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mrmidnite
Ah, the french river, your profile says Northern Ontario...so the French River near Sudbury! Beautiful area up there. I went to school 17 years ago in Sudbury and still have family up north.

Anyhow. not one, but 2 flats and in the middle of nowhere with no cell service. Your story is really those 1 in 1,000,000.

I guess it all comes down to looking at it like an insurance policy and how important the benefits are to you.

I just think Onstar should have more flexible subscriptions as others have mentioned above...light packages, lifetime packages, pay as you use it, ect..ect...

As it stands now...for me and my driving habits...OnStar does not offer a reasonable package and has excluded me and millions of others from being a potential customer. Guess they don't need the extra money after all ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
OnStar offers discounts with other companies as well. For instance Insurance: "You can save up to 10% (and 5% off your homeowner’s premium) just for being an OnStar subscriber. Some companies also offer an additional anti-theft discount of up to 25% off the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance premium." from the OnStar web site. For me my annual auto premium is $1,100 for my Nox, so thats about $110.00!

·
Registered
10,523 Posts
coreyp said:
OnStar offers discounts with other companies as well. For instance Insurance: "You can save up to 10% (and 5% off your homeowner’s premium) just for being an OnStar subscriber. Some companies also offer an additional anti-theft discount of up to 25% off the comprehensive portion of your auto insurance premium." from the OnStar web site. For me my annual auto premium is $1,100 for my Nox, so thats about $110.00!
Ha - I just called my Insurance Company, and because of OnStar, I will be saving an additional $8 per year ! Drinks are on me tonight. Send me your bar tab ! LOL

1 - 20 of 148 Posts