GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started receiving Service Brake Assist message on my 2018 GMC Terrain Denali. Took into the dealership and was told it needed a new battery. Put a new battery in, the exact same model battery that came in the car. I have now received this message, Proactive Alert SAC005. I received it about 1/2 hour before I put the new battery in on 1/6/22. I received it again this morning, 1/13/22. Any suggestions on what it could be? I already paid $160 to find out it needed a new battery for the service brake assist message and I know they will charge me the same to troubleshoot it again. I appreciate any suggestions!

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This GM Techlink article has some details about Proactive Alerts

It indicates that SAC005 is either a battery or starter issue.

How many drive cycles have you put on the vehicle since the battery was replaced? Sometimes it may take several drive cycles for those alerts to go away...
I have probably had at least 14 drive cycles since replacing the battery. One thing I did think of though is, I did sit in my car last night while my daughter was at practice watching a movie on my phone. Turned the car off and I did play the sound thru the speakers until it shut down completely on its own. Which I would say that could have been 10-15 minutes and then hit the button so it would kick back on (not started) to play longer. I just wonder how much that draws on the battery. I drove it for 35 minutes after that home and the message came up this morning when I unlocked the door to get something out of the car.

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
204 Posts
Even though the dealership installed a new battery, there's no guarantee that the battery was fully charged. Who knows how old the battery was, despite it being "new".

In my experience with my '18 Terrain Denali, a battery that does not have enough of a charge will exhibit itself as all sorts of gremlines, the Service Brake Assist being one of them. You can view my saga on this thread. After having replaced the battery twice already due to alleged bad cells (once under warranty), when sitting in the vehicle waiting for someone I no longer restart the infotainment after it shuts it self off after 10 minutes. Furthermore, if I don't intend to drive it on a trip that lasts at least 20 minutes within the next week, I keep it on a battery tender. Short trips and sitting unused seem to take a toll on AGM batteries.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even though the dealership installed a new battery, there's no guarantee that the battery was fully charged. Who knows how old the battery was, despite it being "new".

In my experience with my '18 Terrain Denali, a battery that does not have enough of a charge will exhibit itself as all sorts of gremlines, the Service Brake Assist being one of them. You can view my saga on this thread. After having replaced the battery twice already due to alleged bad cells (once under warranty), when sitting in the vehicle waiting for someone I no longer restart the infotainment after it shuts it self off after 10 minutes. Furthermore, if I don't intend to drive it on a trip that lasts at least 20 minutes within the next week, I keep it on a battery tender. Short trips and sitting unused seem to take a toll on AGM batteries.
It did sit from Friday to Monday morning after putting the new battery in. So, maybe because of that and having the infotainment system on too long last night is what caused the alert. I will avoid doing that again and see what happens. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T 4cyl, Iron Gray Metallic, RS Plus, RS Leather, RS Advanced Safety
200 Posts
Maybe you should do what my Mom did - she had a 58 Pontiac that the battery never seemed to hold a charge. We were poor, rather than buy a new battery she would jump it, then take it on a nearby highway and floor it, then cruise a bit at 120mph, that would charge it enough for a while. With 3 to 5 of us kids in the car!

I sure miss that crazy old lady! LOL

If your battery was never fully charged this sort of thing might help, although I would suggest a slower speed and longer duration. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts