GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after purchasing my 2011 Terrain I discovered the OnStar Remote app. I have an andriod phone so I downloaded it and from it I can lock and unlock as well as remote start the vechile. After playing with it for a bit one thing that I discovered is if I use the phone app to remote start the vechile the rear camera display in the rearview mirror is turned on as soon as the engine starts. This is before I put the key in the ignition or put it in reverse. I thought that was sort of nice, if not very useful. However I was surpised to discover that if I start the vechile remotely using key fob the rear view camera is not turned on until the key is inserted, turned and the transmission is placed in reverse. I find it strange that the rear camera behaves differently depending on which device issues the remote start command. Either way it doesn't really matter, it's just a strange bit of behavior that I haven't seen commented on before. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just remote started mine the other day using the key fob and got in and noticed the rear camera was on before putting the key in

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
robotpepper said:
I just remote started mine the other day using the key fob and got in and noticed the rear camera was on before putting the key in

Yep - that is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wish there was a way to pay onstar only for use of the onstar remote app. My trial recently ran out but the only thing I really have a use for is the remote app.

·
Registered
33 Posts
psywzrd said:
I wish there was a way to pay onstar only for use of the onstar remote app. My trial recently ran out but the only thing I really have a use for is the remote app.
It's kind of like another form life insurance only this one come with an app!

I bet tons of people would pay up to $5-8 a month just for the remote app but tons who currently pay $19 would move to the cheaper plan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
rebelbaserec said:
It's kind of like another form life insurance only this one come with an app!

I bet tons of people would pay up to $5-8 a month just for the remote app but tons who currently pay $19 would move to the cheaper plan.
They really should offer something like that. Right now they're getting no money from me (or from anyone else whose trial has run out). I'd gladly pay them something for being able to use the app but I'm not going to pay for a full-blown subscription for something I don't really have a use for. I do understand all of the useful features of onstar but in all my years of owning vehicles with onstar, I can only think of one time that I really wished I had a subscription. It was when I somehow got locked out of my car with the engine running and wanted to have them unlock my car remotely. I even called them and offered to pay a fee for them to do it and they refused. Seems kind of short-sighted to not offer some sort of pay-per incident option and/or a cheap plan for people who want to use the remote app. At least they'd be getting SOME money from me and other people like me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Personally I just can't justify the cost of OnStar service. It is one of those handy things to have but not at the cost of even the basic plan. The sooner they come up with a way to reduce the costs the sooner they will increase their customer base.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree, I have repeatedly replied to surveys and renewal phone calls that the OnStar is priced TOO high! $5/month for basic service, $8/month for turn by turn with NO agent (you can't call OnStar and ask directions, you have to send them from google maps or bing maps) and $10/month for turn by turn with agent. They could even go further and put some limits on the calls for the lower priced plans and have the unlimited calls on the higher priced.

also, I don't want to have another phone number for my car, I want my cell phone to use the power of the phone in the car (not just bluetooth, but the Onstar phone itself).

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Just renewed Onstar After telling customer serv that I'd like to cancel due to high cost,she said 149 a year was best she could do.Asked to speak to her supervisor and ended up with 16 months for 149.00
No automatic renewel... safe and sound package...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hawkeye-08 said:
I agree, I have repeatedly replied to surveys and renewal phone calls that the OnStar is priced TOO high! $5/month for basic service, $8/month for turn by turn with NO agent (you can't call OnStar and ask directions, you have to send them from google maps or bing maps) and $10/month for turn by turn with agent. They could even go further and put some limits on the calls for the lower priced plans and have the unlimited calls on the higher priced.

also, I don't want to have another phone number for my car, I want my cell phone to use the power of the phone in the car (not just bluetooth, but the Onstar phone itself).
OnStar plans on rolling out new services that are reduced in price and the services will be reduce or re-packaged. Tenatively they are set for release in early 2012.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They should also have a way to remote unlock from the OnStar website (of course you would need to log into your account). Not all of us have smartphones, but we might still lock ourselves out.

·
Registered
10,410 Posts
Hawkeye-08 said:
They should also have a way to remote unlock from the OnStar website (of course you would need to log into your account). Not all of us have smartphones, but we might still lock ourselves out.
If you call the Onstar "800" Number, they will unlock your car for you. I helped a neighbor do it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Looks like RemoteLink has a bug...

The app has started showing stats for "Lifetime" and "Since Full Charge" instead of "Recent (Trip 1)". Both show an "EV Miles" column which is "--". Only problem is, I have a Terrain, not a Volt!!!

The app also is showing the first page of the home screens as Battery and Range, which have no meaning for a Terrain, as well as a Charging Options Section....

I checked the Vehicle and it's still showing Terrain, so it looks like the programmers need to fix this. Need to make sure the correct screens display based on the selected vehicle!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
ChevyMgr said:
OnStar plans on rolling out new services that are reduced in price and the services will be reduce or re-packaged. Tenatively they are set for release in early 2012.
That sounds great but do you have any idea if they are going to offer anything like a "remote app only" option?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Tdog said:
Looks like RemoteLink has a bug...

The app has started showing stats for "Lifetime" and "Since Full Charge" instead of "Recent (Trip 1)". Both show an "EV Miles" column which is "--". Only problem is, I have a Terrain, not a Volt!!!

The app also is showing the first page of the home screens as Battery and Range, which have no meaning for a Terrain, as well as a Charging Options Section....

I checked the Vehicle and it's still showing Terrain, so it looks like the programmers need to fix this. Need to make sure the correct screens display based on the selected vehicle!!!
Have you brought this to the attention of OnStar? I would recommend contacting them at 888-466-7827. They should be able to assist your further. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just wish my remote start had a greater range. It can't even do 300 ft (the distance from my window and where I park). If I part outside this range, I am out of luck
with remote starting the vehicle and as it is a 2010 Terrain, the iPhone app will not work with my specific vehicle.

Paul

·
Registered
368 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
Have you brought this to the attention of OnStar? I would recommend contacting them at 888-466-7827. They should be able to assist your further. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Tricia, I hadn't, but I did at your suggestion. I also stopped and restarted the app a couple times while I was talking with them, and it seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it shows the correct screens, other times it shows the electric vehicle screens. Weird. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion to call it in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts