GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it's time to renew an OnStar contract, is it possible to negotiate the rate? If you threaten not to renew, will they drop the price like XM radio does?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Cost nothing to try but i don't think so...


DavidPJ said:
When it's time to renew an OnStar contract, is it possible to negotiate the rate? If you threaten not to renew, will they drop the price like XM radio does?

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Usually OnStar, Xm & Serius are dropping the price from 10-20% if you can wait for it unless it is important to you of having OnStar feature.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Negotiating always works especially with On* and XM/Sirius

They know theres options out there, if the first agent doesn't do anything for you then call back again.

If they don't drop your rate then ask for extra HF calling minutes or a higher package.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
When I bought the Terrain, I received one year of the Safe and Sound plan. I had the Directions and Connections for 3 months. I decided to extend the Directions and Connections for one month as we were going on vacation, and thought it would be useful. After that month was up, I called to cancel and told them that I just didn't need it anymore. They transferred me to another person who allowed me to extend the Directions and Connections plan to the end of my Safe and Sound plan (runs until next May) for a total of $8.45 (tax included) a month. Their web site shows that it is $39.90 plus tax so deals are there to be had for sure. I am in Canada.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
yes, if you threaten not to renew they will give it to you a half price. Im currently on my 2nd year at half which is $14 somthing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
DavidPJ said:
When it's time to renew an OnStar contract, is it possible to negotiate the rate? If you threaten not to renew, will they drop the price like XM radio does?

Thanks.
I recently renegotiated my safe/sound plan (October of this year), got it at $147/year and locked that in for 3 years. That's the best I could get them to go down, which is $199/year normally. My final bill was $441. I didn't bother with the directions package since when I tried it I barely used it. I can always get that if I go on a vacation trip for $10/month.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Sgt1411 said:
Negotiating always works especially with On* and XM/Sirius

They know theres options out there, if the first agent doesn't do anything for you then call back again.

If they don't drop your rate then ask for extra HF calling minutes or a higher package.
I've on tried several occasions with XM and they would not budge on the price in their mailings or emails. I tried to lock in a long term deal and they would not budge, saying those low rates were only good for the term specified. I'd love to know how you got them to negotiate. I've heard that since XM and Sirius merged they're not so generous with negotiations. I've found that to be true my case. And yes, I told them to cut XM off and they didn't seem to care.

OnStar though would negotiate when I said just to cut it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I have a buddy who bought a Cobalt with the three month free radio and Onstar gimmick. He never renewed either, but still has XM/Sirrirs a year later. They send him a bill and he ignors it. He never gave them any credit card for auto billing. Is it just his luck or is the billing dept not in touch with reality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Old Lar said:
I have a buddy who bought a Cobalt with the three month free radio and Onstar gimmick. He never renewed either, but still has XM/Sirrirs a year later. They send him a bill and he ignors it. He never gave them any credit card for auto billing. Is it just his luck or is the billing dept not in touch with reality.
XM/Sirius plays alot of games during renewals and is quick to go to collection agencies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
RNOX said:
XM/Sirius plays alot of games during renewals and is quick to go to collection agencies
But he got the deal for free when he bought the car and never renewed/never subscribed. They can go to a collection route and get nada..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
Old Lar said:
But he got the deal for free when he bought the car and never renewed/never subscribed. They can go to a collection route and get nada..
I agree but I would hate going through the hassle. Google XM customer complaints and you'll see some of the problems people have.

With On-Star if you give them a credit card the day you buy your vehilce to buy minutes they will automatically renew your On-Star subscription with that charge card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Old Lar said:
I have a buddy who bought a Cobalt with the three month free radio and Onstar gimmick. He never renewed either, but still has XM/Sirrirs a year later. They send him a bill and he ignors it. He never gave them any credit card for auto billing. Is it just his luck or is the billing dept not in touch with reality.
Sounds like he fell through the cracks somehow. If he never gave a credit card nor contacted them then he owes them nothing. In our case they cut off the service about a week after the 3 month freebie was up. They do run promotions where you get the service turned on for a couple of weeks for a limited number of stations. We got a 2 week promo to sign up again; it should be turned off on Nov. 30. I do like the service, it's just overpriced in my book.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
IF IF On-Star was not Standard on GM vehicles and cost $500 as an option how many people would purchase the option and pay the monthly fee?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
RNOX said:
IF IF On-Star was not Standard on GM vehicles and cost $500 as an option how many people would purchase the option and pay the monthly fee?
I'd guess only about 10% of purchasers would actually pay for the option and the monthly fee IMO. It's the same thing with cell phones.....the iPhone costs $500, but only $199 if you get a contract through ATT. Same thing is happening here. The cost is waved (AKA Subsidized by OnStar/GM) with the hopes you will enter into a contract later.

GM Should really think about an OnStar "lifetime" subscription during the vehicles initial purchase. I would pay $500-$750 for that and not have to worry about it ever again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
coreyp said:
I'd guess only about 10% of purchasers would actually pay for the option and the monthly fee IMO. It's the same thing with cell phones.....the iPhone costs $500, but only $199 if you get a contract through ATT. Same thing is happening here. The cost is waved (AKA Subsidized by OnStar/GM) with the hopes you will enter into a contract later.

GM Should really think about an OnStar "lifetime" subscription during the vehicles initial purchase. I would pay $500-$750 for that and not have to worry about it ever again.
That's actually a really good idea, I would pay that.

I think XM does lifetime or DID lifetime, a friend told me he paid $600 for his lifetime XM subscription on one radio ID and then discounted on any additional.

I also think if you have two vehicles equipped with On* there should be a "family" plan or a significant discount on the second vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
Just negotiated my Onstar renewal. I told them I really wanted to keep the directions and connections package, but $300 was too much. After going round and round with someone they finally came down to $249. Not bad when I was going to renew regardless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts
Not going to renew ours. We could almost never get our phone to repeat the correct number. It was useless. In 12 months I was able to make 2 calls!!! And to think I had to pay for this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I talked to Onstar today to cancel my Safe and Sound package in my Silverado and they offered it to me for $16 a month, a drop from $26 a month. I still told them no but shows that they will negotiate.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top