GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

I remember the flap not too long ago about onstar and it's policy after you cancel. Then their reversal of that policy.

However I still want to disconnect completely from onstar. I called them and they gave me crap and said I had to take my vehicle into he dealership for them to completely disconnect onstar from my vehicle. So I have called the dealership and left my number (at their request to get back to me). They said the manager would get all the details necessary to do this and get back with me.

Seriously ? Is it this difficult ?

As I said to onstar, "I do not want onstar to have any association with my vehicle anymore".

I have read the old posts, am I completely lost on what is possible here ?

Polar Bear

·
Registered
482 Posts
Well there is a difference between totally dis-connecting from the service and physically dis-connecting the hardware.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
Well there is a difference between totally dis-connecting from the service and physically dis-connecting the hardware.
I concur. That would be like calling Microsoft and asking how to replace the RAM in a Dell 790. They are going to have no clue how to change the hardware as they only deal with the software side.

If you want to remove the onstar module from the vehicle the VCIM is located above the gas pedal under the dash. Remove the lower dash and you should see it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Terra-Nox said:
ok so what does "totally dis-connecting from the service" get me ?

I just don't want them being able to connect to my car and get anything off of it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
PolarBear said:
ok so what does "totally dis-connecting from the service" get me ?

I just don't want them being able to connect to my car and get anything off of it.
They won't. If you ask to completely terminate data connection between your vehicle and their servers, they will. I think you're being a little to paranoid about the whole incident. This s north America, not some third world country or communinst dictatorship. If they were going to illegally do this, they would have never asked for permission in the first place. Do you believe your phone company is eavesdropping on you, just because they can, lol. Then you must be walking around with aluminum foil on your head.
At the end of the day, why remove the hardware, in case you might change your mind down the road, or if you sell the vehicle, and the new owner feels different about it. Have a beer, and don't let little things like this bother you in life, you'll live longer :cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts