GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the voice command is when using the button on the steering wheel?
When we use the button on the rear view mirror, we simply say "Call Mom" for example.

That same command doen't work when pressing the button on the steering wheel (if I remember correctly, it echoes back something about the "Display Mode" LOL).
No big deal, just curious if someone knows if we're doing something wrong or if it's just not possible.

BTW, we're using the Terrain's OnStar phone, not a personal Bluetooth phone.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SnowItch said:
I press the one on the steering wheel, wait for the beep, and then say dial and the the number or the name tag.

The difference between the two is that the one on the mirror is only for calls (so it already assumes you've said "dial".

The one on the steering wheel can be used for other hands free operations, such as controlling the stereo and NAV (if you have one).

For instance, you can press the one on the steering wheel and say NAV show dining and it will show restaurants on your NAV system (if your below a certain resolution).
Ahhh, thanks SnowItch!
I believe we've been using "Call" and the Tag (which works with the button on the rear view mirror, the Onstar button).
We'll try the button on the steering wheel and say "Dial" and the Tag or number and post back our findings.
Not a big deal and I'll tell the wife to read the darned manual...hahaha that ain't going to happen anytime soon!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK I just got back from taking the Terrain out for a spin.
I pressed the button on the steering wheel, tried both "Call" and "Dial" and both times the computer said "Voice activation cancelled".
I even tried repeating both words with a name tag that's already stored and the computer went off on a tangent turning off or on stuff I had no clue what it said but one of them was to turn off the Voice confirmation, which really threw me for a loop!

Any other ideas besides....er...reading the manual...LOL!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SnowItch said:
OK, since you have "All Available Options", this may apply:

So, you would have to say:

Hands Free

and then:

Call Name Tag

If you want to use Voice Recognition commands on a cell phone, you have to say:

Hands Free

Bluetooth

Voice

at which point the cell phones prompts will take over.
That's got to be it, Hands Free[/color] first!
:)
I remember reading that here on the forum waaaaay back when the manuals were first loaded up.
SnowItch, you should have a PayPal donate button in your sig somewhere!!!
Honestly, many thanks for all of your help here!

We'll try that tomorrow and post back.

The Gearhead famiiy.
;D :D ;D

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is the Terrain manual available as a PDF somewhere? I would love to have it on my computer instead of fishing out of the glove box when I needed to look something up......

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SnowItch said:
OK, since you have "All Available Options", this may apply:

So, you would have to say:

Hands Free
[/color]

and then:

Call Name Tag

If you want to use Voice Recognition commands on a cell phone, you have to say:

Hands Free

Bluetooth

Voice

at which point the cell phones prompts will take over.
That did the trick SnowItch, thanks very much!
After we press the button on the steering wheel, wait for the beep prompt, say "HANDSFREE", the Onstar system takes over as though we'd pressed the button on the rearview mirror.
Hope this helps someone else who doesn't use their Onstar phone too often.
Remember to say "HANDSFREE"and Onstar will prompt you through the rest.
:)

·
Registered
265 Posts
The only call I have tried with my Onstar minutes was to call home. I got the answering machine. After leaving a message for my wife I was unsure how to terminate the call (hang up). Do you just push the phone button on the rear view mirrow a second time to hang up?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tmozer said:
The only call I have tried with my Onstar minutes was to call home. I got the answering machine. After leaving a message for my wife I was unsure how to terminate the call (hang up). Do you just push the phone button on the rear view mirrow a second time to hang up?
You can push the button at any time and say "Goodbye".
If you have buttons on the steering wheel you can use that one as well and I don't think you have to say a thing, just press it and end the call.

·
Registered
265 Posts
SnowItch said:
Yep, that's it. If you have the controls on the steering wheel, you can hang up (as well as start the call) there as well.
No, no phone button on my steering wheel, only the Cruise Control stuff. No nav or bluetooth either. Which leads me to ask about the phone button on the entertainment system. Is that suppose to do the same thing as the rear view mirror Onstar phone button? In my Terrain it does not seem to work the same, unless I am doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tmozer said:
No, no phone button on my steering wheel, only the Cruise Control stuff. No nav or bluetooth either. Which leads me to ask about the phone button on the entertainment system. Is that suppose to do the same thing as the rear view mirror Onstar phone button? In my Terrain it does not seem to work the same, unless I am doing something wrong.
The phone button on the infotainment center should do the trick as well.
I'll have to give it a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
tmozer said:
If the button on wheel doesn't do it, you can always do it from radio, press Menu/Select button, then select "hang up".

KJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts