GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't think it would happen, but I let the OnStar adviser talk me into the $5/60 minute introductory package when I picked up my Equinox. However, I expressed my concern that OnStar would keep my CC# on file and bill me for something else later, to which the adviser made VERY clear that this would be a one-time purchase and my CC# would NOT be kept on file for automatic OnStar renewal. Sure enough though, I log into my OnStar account later and there is my credit card with "continuous coverage" enabled :banghead: :banghead:.

Sounds like a weird question, but here it goes...

Would it be worth my while to ignore the fact that my CC is hooked up with my account, and when they do an auto renewal in 6 months, make a fuss/threaten legal action because I was told otherwise in hopes that they might give something free? If they want "proof" I had the entire OnStar set-up call being recorded by my iPhone 4 sitting on the center console.

If it's too much hassle I'll just call and cancel when 6 months comes around (even though I shouldn't have to in the first place...:thumbdown:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,271 Posts
Can't you just go in and change your credit card info for onstar?
Change it to a card that expires before onstar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I'd just call and cancel a week or so before it's set to expire. I doubt it would be worth the stress. They may also offer you a cheaper deal to get you to stay with them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
You're going to threaten "legal action" against a large corporation? It would cost you more to try and retain an attorney than it is worth! Just call them up and cancel it...save yourself the upset.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
We don't answer 800 or other toll free numbers from home. Sometimes I call the 800 and you can find who it is. The last 4 digits I get from an On-Star number are 0754. They called for a month straight each day according to my caller ID. After a month passed since the trial expired got a $12.95 month plus tax offer from On-Star in the mail. You have to use a credit card for this deal and they will auto renew.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Can't you just go in and change your credit card info for onstar?
Change it to a card that expires before onstar
They just renewed my subscription (8 days before expiry no less!) and charged the amount to a cc that had expired. I had called last week to cancel and they offered me a "low mileage discount" price but I told them I will have to get back to them before the expiry/renewal date... It was a fairly substantial discount. I don't intend to keep the service on this vehicle so I will be calling tomorrow when I get back into the country to give 'em he!! For renewing so preemptively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
468 Posts
I just got the 12.95 price offered to me too since I never updated my now expired card. I dont think I will be renewing though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
vince730 said:
I didn't think it would happen, but I let the OnStar adviser talk me into the $5/60 minute introductory package when I picked up my Equinox. However, I expressed my concern that OnStar would keep my CC# on file and bill me for something else later, to which the adviser made VERY clear that this would be a one-time purchase and my CC# would NOT be kept on file for automatic OnStar renewal. Sure enough though, I log into my OnStar account later and there is my credit card with "continuous coverage" enabled :banghead: :banghead:.

Sounds like a weird question, but here it goes...

Would it be worth my while to ignore the fact that my CC is hooked up with my account, and when they do an auto renewal in 6 months, make a fuss/threaten legal action because I was told otherwise in hopes that they might give something free? If they want "proof" I had the entire OnStar set-up call being recorded by my iPhone 4 sitting on the center console.

If it's too much hassle I'll just call and cancel when 6 months comes around (even though I shouldn't have to in the first place...:thumbdown:)
Just call OnStar and tell them to remove your credit card and they will. You cannot remove it on line. Worked for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
43sbest said:
Just call OnStar and tell them to remove your credit card and they will. You cannot remove it on line. Worked for me.
This is what I did. Took 5 min and it's a no-brainer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Similar situation for me. I noticed the "continous coverage" which caught my attention. Regardless the $5-10 fee is worth the 60 mins because they never expire as long as you are a subscriber. If the cost of onstar is worth it for you, the minute balance will remain there for the during of your membership unless you cancel in which they are forfeited.

I got the minutes as a backup incase my cell dies or there is no reception...at a point in which I might really need phone access. Worth the piece of mind!

If you decide to cancel, just call and do it over the phone. I wouldn't recommend spending the time or effort to purse over something so trivial and small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
I don't know about regular OnStar cell phone minutes, by my introductory 60 minutes expire in two weeks, and my OnStar doesn't expire for another 32 months. Cell phone hours are for a specified and limited time only. they do expire.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
I know the introductory minutes expire after the free-trial period, but I thought that was because the account wasn't yet renewed. I thought the rep told me once your purchase, they never expire - doh! Sorry for the confusion.

Pulled this from OnStar website. It seems if I activate beyond the 6 month trial period, the unused minutes will be good for a full year unless I cancel my subscription prior.


Q - What is the difference between my Hands-Free Calling expiration date and my OnStar subscription expiration date?

A - Your OnStar subscription end date refers to the date when your OnStar subscription is up for renewal. Your Hand-Free Calling minutes may have a different expiration date related to the date the minutes were purchased. Purchased minutes are good for one full year or until your OnStar subscription ends, whichever date comes first.


Q - Can I roll over my active remaining minutes to a new package or a new vehicle?

A - With the additional purchase of a HFC prepaid minute package, your current unused minutes will roll over, making all of your minutes good for a full year. You can also roll over any active unused minutes to your new vehicle, keeping in mind that the original purchase date is the expiration date. With the additional purchase of a HFC prepaid minute package, your current unused minutes will roll over, making all of your minutes good for a full year. Just push your blue OnStar button or call 1.888.4ONSTAR (1.888.466.7867) for more information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
748 Posts
Well how do you know when your on-star expires? Ive checked online. My light is still grenn and I know its past a year...
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top