GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Do you think the GPS & OnStar in your vehicle is really private

• I believe my privacy is 100% secure as stated in GM's privacy policy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They would never admit it, but I'm almost certain they secretly have some sort of arrangements with

• I'm not sure either way, but hope that everything is in line with what their privacy policy states.

• Darned right they're also using it with goverment and local authorites and most likely gathering val

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote this in part of another post but thought to start a poll on it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just another thought here. With your vehicle being a GPS and 2 way audio communication in the car I have some thoughts about privacy.

Think of all the different scenarios your privacy can be compromised with OnStar.

Who knows, GM would never admit it but who's to say. I mean...all in the name of homeland security "they" tap your phones...coudn't "they" overide Onstars privacy policy and let them tap your car???

Perhaps even GM could be secretly monitoring vehicle driving patterns....and selling that information to municipalities to use the statistics for road improvements or future road & route construction, or gathering crash statistics to see which intersections or roadways need some investigation and changes to make safer. All for our greater good and wouldn't have a problem with it but what about all th other stuff they could use it for and be profiting from.

Here's another simple example, how about gathering information in a database to find the most heavily travelled route out of a concentrated business/industrial section and then selling that information to a popular donut shop chain to pin point them where to erect the next bill board advertisement targeting more customers to grab a coffee on the way home after a hard days work.

I know it sounds far fetched but really...with your car being a GPS and everything already in place for them to tap in regardless if you have a subscription or not...with todays massive databases all it takes is a basic front end to log and sort data worth millions and millions of dollars to different groups and organizations. Heck if this is the case then OnStar should be free.

I'm sure everyone reading this can thing up all kinds of scenarious! Anyone care to share thier thoughts on this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unfortunately thats the world we live in today. It's not just OnStar, do you own a mobile phone, a portable GPS, a laptop, iPad, basically any portable devise that can access the internet or act as a GPS? Then you can be tracked/spied upon. It's just the way it is.

In regards specifically to OnStar, I hope they don't release that information and or sell it. I'm sure that if anyone found out they were, there would be a huge sh*t storm and a class action law suit against them. I'm betting GM will not gamble with that type of publicity seeing as what they have gone through lately.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've thought about this from time to time. But they won't get much out of me but driving to and from work. And me fussing about traffic. They can tap in any time they like.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This is how thin the line is.

Tinted windows, you are in a private vehicle and everything occurring in there is private.

Non-tinted windows, you are in a public area, just like a wide open park and you do not want your privacy and anything happening in the vehicle can be used against you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts