GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did something stupid in my rush to try and fix a possible miss on my Equinox. My 1st bit of advice is that if your new coil packs come with their own bolts, remove them and reuse the stock bolts. I didn’t and one of the screws on the aftermarket coil packs I bought was damaged. I felt it was damaged, but in my rush and frustration, decided to just push through it and then snapped off flush with the valve cover…DOH! 😡. I tried 3 different extractors and I could not get the snapped off bolt out. While trying to drill the hole to use the extractor, I also knew I was damaging the threads. I was stuck. I now had a hole drilled about the same size as the stock bolt, so I started thinking. Valve cover is soft aluminum, what about a steel bolt that would cut its own path 🤔. I only needed the bolt to get 3 or 4 turns in the hole to hold the coil pack down, so off to Lowe’s I went. I found #14 x 1-1/4” Hex Washer Slotted bolts for like $1.25. They worked and bit into the soft aluminum and securely hold the coil pack in place. Same size hex head as the stock bolts too. Not ideal, but it’ll work in a pinch, especially if your 325 miles from the house like I was when this happened…. Attaching pics…

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD / 2009 Torrent GT 3.4L AWD
228 Posts
Gee... You're sure eventful. First the spark plug and now the coil. What's next?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gee... You're sure eventful. First the spark plug and now the coil. What's next?
…afraid to find out!

…my Nox has been trouble free, then I hit 160K miles and I can’t find the problem…

1 - 3 of 3 Posts