GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or, they publish it to selected clients..... I just got my new Equinox, and on day 2, I got a call in the car from a business that has been harassing me for several years on my home phone. I have already talked to an attorney about this firm and now they have my ON STAR number !!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Business or collection agency? If it's a business, then what you need to do (if you haven't already) is sign up all your telephone #'s to the national "do not call list" (assuming you are in the U.S.) then if you know the name of the company and can look up a physical address, you can then file a formal complaint with the FCC if they continue to call after being informed that you are "do not call". It's not an immediate fix, and the FCC won't swoop down on the company with agents ready to shut them down...but at least they'll eventually send the company a letter threatening some kind of action if they don't stop. For most telemarketing companies that is enough to get them to remove your number, but others know that the FCC doesn't have the manpower to investigate hundreds of shady outfits all over the country..

Oh, and also...if you have done legitimate business with the company in question at some point in the past it can be much harder to get your number removed.

·
Registered
157 Posts
k9kuz said:
Or, they publish it to selected clients..... I just got my new Equinox, and on day 2, I got a call in the car from a business that has been harassing me for several years on my home phone. I have already talked to an attorney about this firm and now they have my ON STAR number !!!
I had problems with my Terrain early on getting phone calls from odd callers and businesses - I think they recycled the phone number too soon from a previous number holder. I don't know if the number are specific to OnStar but Verizon is the service provider so in my case it could have been a Verizon customer that had the number before and not an OnStar customer.

In your case it may not have been shared/sold by OnStar? - it could have been your dealer?? They also have access to your new OnStar phone number.

Not sure why they would have shared it as their privacy policy does not share your information with third party companies.

Here is part of the OnStar privacy statement (from their website)

# We may share information we collect from you with your car's maker, your dealer, your satellite radio or wireless service provider, your fleet company, or your rental car company, if applicable, when required by law, or in the event of the sale or transfer of OnStar business.
# In general, we do not share your personal information with third-party marketers, unless we have asked for and obtained your explicit consent

·
Registered
161 Posts
NoobNox said:
Oh, and also...if you have done legitimate business with the company in question at some point in the past it can be much harder to get your number removed.
I was of the impression that association made it legal for them to call. Further, I was of the belief that one company can sell to another if they disclose it during your sign up and you do not disagree.

Anyone know for sure?

Possibly puttng them back onto a do not call list might negate it, but not sure if it can be terminated or is perpetual. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Terrain2011 said:
I was of the impression that association made it legal for them to call. Further, I was of the belief that one company can sell to another if they disclose it during your sign up and you do not disagree.

Anyone know for sure?

Possibly puttng them back onto a do not call list might negate it, but not sure if it can be terminated or is perpetual. Anyone know for sure?
For a company to continue calling you they have to prove that they have legitimate business dealings, and the reverse is true if you want them to stop. For companies that abide by the law, simply having your number on the do not call list is enough, but others won't stop unless specifically ordered to do so by the FCC. (or threat of a lawsuit)

Incidentally, there are iphone and Android apps you can download that claim to allow blocking of certain numbers. I haven't tried any of them, but might be something to consider.. (won't work with Onstar though)

·
Registered
216 Posts
OnStar and XM are both terrible about renewing without your authorization, hard sell and many other non professional business aspects but in all the years I have had OnStar I have never received a call from anyone other that a person I gave the number to.

·
Registered
113 Posts
k9kuz said:
OnStar didn't sell your number. If anyone did it was Verizon. What most likely happend is that the business that has been harassing you had you "on their radar" and your name came up in a database with a new phone number. They matched the number (area code) with your name and called. There is some amazing tech being used by law enforcement, collections groups and bounty hunters. People can buy databases of new or cellular phone numbers. If they are not on the do not call list, it's fair game. Dirty but fair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts