GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
My opinion on oil it's real cheap for starters, especially for those of us that change our own and even if you get it done search the internet for coupons. It's not the oil that has expired it's all the other collection of moisture and small tiny particles that get purged when changing oil & filter. Turbo's in general add stress to any combustion engine, so if GM is asking us to spend $40 a year for an oil change regardless of the miles...I think that may be money well spent.

JUST MY OPINION and like I said above I do not know of any oil related failures when it's changed every 5k miles.
Full syn approved does not = $12 qt. I pay $18 for 5qt jug full syn w Decos Gen2 lable. I change mine every 3-5k miles depending on weather conditions. Real cold out, I try to change it more often...I like changing my oil...
I suppose that I could test the oil and maybe push it further but I have no interest or desire to go further. I enjoy knowing it has fresh oil & new AC Delco filter and it gives me a chance to snoop around under the hood look things over check the levels and lubricate the hinges locks on the vehicle.... ... .. .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am by no means an oil expert, but I have read that you can't tell the shape of oil, by its color ! Just because oil may have turned dark in color, does not necessarily mean that the oil is worn out, it only tells you that the oil is doing its job by removing contaminants from the engine. The only way to tell if oil is past its useful life it by doing a used oil analysis. IMHO
You are 100% correct. If an oil is not darkening up after a couple of thousand miles, it's not doing a good job of keeping the engine clean. The oil analysis tells the story.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Really ! A lot of members here have quite a bit of knowledge from actually performing work themselves without being a real mechanic. If it was me having four posts in seven years as a forum member, I would have a little more respect for other members who more consistently try to help others. Perhaps share your vast experience a little more often rather than simply stating things like our lack of common sense 0.571 times / year. Thanks for the real mechanic's advice of staying below 5000 miles oil and filter changes. Guess I'll stick to the 25 % the dealer suggested, thanks to all who replied. Geo791 no hard feelings, just thought it was a broad statement to make to most member here.
probak118,
When I say real mechanic, I am referring to the technicians that work on cars everyday for a living, verses shade tree mechanics that only work on their own vehicles. My father owned an auto repair shop as I was growing up and I worked in the shop until I graduated high school and he sold the business. I have witnessed first hand the results of extended oil and filter changes. I have dug the sludge our of oil pans and valve covers with a putty knife. So I am speaking from experience. If one plans on trading their vehicle before the warranty runs out, then extended oil and filter changes may be okay. But, if one intends to keep a vehicle for several years and drive it beyond 100k miles, like I do, shorter oil change intervals are still the best policy. Also, my post was not intended to disrespect anyone in the forum. Everyone has a right their their opinion. All I'm saying is that if one asks a professional mechanic what his recommendations are for engine oil & filter change intervals, or transmission fluid change intervals, they will be much shorter than the user manual suggests. His recommendations will be based on experience, not personal opinions. Like the old adage goes, spend a little now...or a LOT later. It's ultimately one's personal choice. 😉

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I wasn't saying because my oil was dark after 2,200 mi. that it needed changed.. I said it was a lot darker than the oil in my 02' Buick Regal LS with the V6 engine after the same amount of miles. So I guess the oil in the buick isn't doing it's job because it's still golden after 2,200mi? LOL.. I don't think so.. I think the oil in the terrain is getting darker sooner because of the DI but that's just a guess

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Last night, I happened to be driving my Equinox (1.5L AWD) and noticed that after 800 miles, the OLM showed that I had already used 37% of the oil's life. At this rate, I would only be able to get about 2000 miles out of my oil. My driving habits have not changed, except for less use. Should I follow the OLM, or go with my typical 5000 OCI ? Does oil really lose its quality by just sitting in an engine ?
I noticed the same on our 2019 Acadia . . . that the oil life % drops faster than on my 2017 Colorado truck with the same engine.
Which is why I think GM has changed the OLM to "age" more quickly.
As an example: We just did a 660 mile round trip of mixed interstate (80% @ 70MPH)) and state highway (20% @ 60 MPH) and I had just changed the oil in my truck a day before we left so OLM was 100%.
When we returned the OLM reads 93%.
Our 2019 Acadia with the same engine would be down to ~80% or lower with the similar time and conditions.

·
Registered
976 Posts
My oil was changed 12-12-19, has 2,010 miles on it and OLM shows 51%
The car has not been out of town since the last week of Feb and only driven a couple miles at a time since then.
I had a new battery installed March 13th and have driven 390 miles since then.
Short trips will count down the OLM faster.
We finally got out of town last weekend for a 500 mile trip. Approx 120 miles at 60 mph and 380 miles at 80 mph.
The OLM dropped to 50%.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's not so much that the oil loses it's quality or uses up the additive package at 2,000 miles.
A more serious problem is the oil's ability to absorb water.
Much info on the internet, see link to a good article below.

If you are under warranty, follow your owners manual and change at least once a year.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I noticed the same on our 2019 Acadia . . . that the oil life % drops faster than on my 2017 Colorado truck with the same engine.
Which is why I think GM has changed the OLM to "age" more quickly.
As an example: We just did a 660 mile round trip of mixed interstate (80% @ 70MPH)) and state highway (20% @ 60 MPH) and I had just changed the oil in my truck a day before we left so OLM was 100%.
When we returned the OLM reads 93%.
Our 2019 Acadia with the same engine would be down to ~80% or lower with the similar time and conditions.
Even if it has the same OLM algorithm on the same engine there may be different reasons why the life will be different for different vehicles....Anything that will change the torque and time profile ...for e.g different transmissions which change the RPM profile ...weight of vehicle, drag on vehicle etc...
So if GM has not changed the OLM algorithm...then this is just showing the Acadia is working harder for the same route.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Even if it has the same OLM algorithm on the same engine there may be different reasons why the life will be different for different vehicles....Anything that will change the torque and time profile ...for e.g different transmissions which change the RPM profile ...weight of vehicle, drag on vehicle etc...
So if GM has not changed the OLM algorithm...then this is just showing the Acadia is working harder for the same route.
Possibly. . . but the OLM on the 2019 Acadia seems to go down just sitting or looking at it. And, I gotta say, with knobby AT tires, more weight and drag, the Chevy Colorado isn't working less hard than the Acadia with the same engine IMO.

If the Acadia is "working harder", then I have to wonder why the little 1.8L in wife's 2017 Sonic doesn't drop OLM % very fast at all. And that car gets driven short 5.5 mile trips to and from work in winter. 1 to 2 miles short trips to stores, bank, kids house, etc.
I've never seen the Sonic get down to even 50% in the 3 years we've had it and one time the oil was in it for 12 months and Onstar sent the notice that it was "over due" at 63% OLM.

Conversely, we only take the Acadia out in good weather, only when driving a distance of +15 miles or more for dining or an outing, and driven mostly at 40 to 60 MPH after warm up.
The OLM still goes down more quickly than any other car out of the last 14 cars/trucks we've owned since 1995.

From the sound of it. . . those with the 2018 -19 1.5L and 2.0L also seem to go down quite fast.

I'm thinking that since GM got in trouble with MPG on Acadia and some other models, they also might have found that OLM % was a bit too generous on all GMs vehicles. . . especially with GDI.

Reactions: tic

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
If more frequent oil changes are what's needed to keep intake valve carbon deposits to a minimum, that works for me and most people here as well I'd think. It's the owner that doesn't know what DI is and ignores DIC messages that will be more likely to have issues down the road IMHO. I think GM changed the parameters for the OLM because of the turbocharger and DI.

·
Registered
554 Posts
You guys got me curious. I just checked my '20 Traverse. 1013 miles, OLM at 86% on the factory fill.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts