GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah, that's a good question!..I will be changing the oil myself when OLM says no lower than 20% but that's personal preference. My dealer has not said to change the oil any sooner than what the OLM says. The system tells you when to change the oil and that's at zero, not 25%... I believe it will give you a "change oil soon" message before it gets to zero. With these small direct injected turbocharged engine, I do believe more frequent oil changes will be beneficial but warranty wise, you can take it right down to zero oil life remaining

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if the oil life degradation slows down at some point so that you can still get at least 3000 Miles in a years time.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The oil on the dipstick is still pretty clear after 2,200mi. on my 2.0 but NOT as clear after the same number of miles on our V-6 02' Buick regal. I'll be changing oil in the terrain on a more frequent basis than the buick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Everyone,
Oil and filters are cheap compared to expensive engine repairs. With the newer direct injection engines, I would suggest never exceeding 5,000 miles on the oil and filter, and especially with a turbo charged engine. I use Mobil-1 synthetic and never exceed 5k, and even only 4k sometimes. These DI engines have issues with oil dilution too which warrants shorter oil changes...if you want your engine last. The OLM is a nice feature but I would never go below 30% oil life, again, if you want the engine to last beyond 100k miles. Real mechanics all know this as common knowledge.;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I would have to change my oil very 2,000mi. or SOONER to keep the OLM from going below 30%

·
Registered
976 Posts
Everyone,
Oil and filters are cheap compared to expensive engine repairs. With the newer direct injection engines, I would suggest never exceeding 5,000 miles on the oil and filter, and especially with a turbo charged engine. I use Mobil-1 synthetic and never exceed 5k, and even only 4k sometimes. These DI engines have issues with oil dilution too which warrants shorter oil changes...if you want your engine last. The OLM is a nice feature but I would never go below 30% oil life, again, if you want the engine to last beyond 100k miles. Real mechanics all know this as common knowledge.;)
The owner of the shop and the service manager told me the same thing. After a lot of cam chain problems in the 3.6 they started telling customers to ignore the OLM and change oil at 4,000 to 5,000 miles. Since I do mostly short drives I should not go over 4,000.
Back when we purchased the 2008 Equinox and Malibu they said trust the OLM. They have changed their tune now.
They have never pushed unnecessary service so I trust them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
One dealer I went to one time for an oil change kind of lectured me because I let the OLM get down to 4%. The service advisor said to me in a lecturing tone "NEVER let the OLM drop below 30%! We have been trying to get GM for quite some time now to recalibrate the OLM algorithm to count down faster than it does. Allowing it to go as far as you did is not a good practice."

I realize there are historical issues with the timing chains in the 3.6L V6 engines, but I check the oil regularly between changes and always use dexos licensed oil. The OLM would have been recalibrated if the engineers felt it was allowing too many miles between changes. They don't want a ton of warranty repairs for the company, just as they also don't want owners to have all kinds of issues. I still let it get down to about 15% remaining before getting serious about changing oil.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
What kind of funny is. . when we bought our 2015 Equinox we got 2 free oil changes. I was told upon purchase that they did not want us bringing the car in for an oil change till it reached 20% OLM reading. The service manager also made a point of saying so.
I brought it in after 6 months and 55 % OLM and thye service writer had no problem with it.
The next time I brought it in was in winter with 45 % OLM. I just wanted that nasty mid winter short trip oil out of there and after 4,200 miles.

Now. . on my 2017 Colorado with the LGZ 3.6L V6 I just changed the oil after 11 months and
3,687 miles on the oil . . . it read 17%.
I usually do not let ir get down that low, but it was parked in the garage most of the winter and only taken out a few times on good sunny days.
I noticed the OLM goes down much more quickly on our 2019 Acadia with the 3.6L LGX V6 engine the same one as in my Colorado truck.

So I think on some vehicles GM has altered the OLM system.

One thing I always do. . . is when we by a new car or truck, the oil gets changed the 1st time at or before 1,500 miles by myself . .. free oil changes or not.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My 2015 Equinox came with the 4 services within the first 24months plan (purchased just before they dropped the number of free service visits.) I got 3 done for free, the 4th was just after the 24mo period and wasn't covered. Oh well, my fault for waiting. I probably could have made it in for the 4th free service if I didn't wait for the OLM to go down so low :giggle:

My parents have a 2013 Toyota Highlander they bought new 7 years ago. Toyota had the 2yr/24000 mile complimentary service plan at the time. The oil change interval on the Highlander is 1yr/10,000 miles whichever occurs first. After the first 2 free services were done, my dad decided to go to 5,000 mile intervals since he was now paying for it. He goes in 5,000 miles after the 2nd free service, and the dealer refused to change the oil. They said it had only been 5,000 miles. He said "I understand but I am paying for it, please change the oil." They said "No, it is a waste and not needed. Come back in 5,000 more miles." He used them for a couple of more years, but was never 100% pleased.

He has since switched to a different Toyota dealer, and they suggest 6,000 mile intervals even though the manual states every 1yr/10,000 miles.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think for these little DI engines we should go back to changing oil every 3,000mi. (or yearly, which ever comes first) I can tell already the oil is dirtier after 2,000mi. than other vehicles I own that don't have DI

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
I am by no means an oil expert, but I have read that you can't tell the shape of oil, by its color ! Just because oil may have turned dark in color, does not necessarily mean that the oil is worn out, it only tells you that the oil is doing its job by removing contaminants from the engine. The only way to tell if oil is past its useful life it by doing a used oil analysis. IMHO

·
Registered
191 Posts
Everyone,
Real mechanics all know this as common knowledge.;)
Really ! A lot of members here have quite a bit of knowledge from actually performing work themselves without being a real mechanic. If it was me having four posts in seven years as a forum member, I would have a little more respect for other members who more consistently try to help others. Perhaps share your vast experience a little more often rather than simply stating things like our lack of common sense 0.571 times / year. Thanks for the real mechanic's advice of staying below 5000 miles oil and filter changes. Guess I'll stick to the 25 % the dealer suggested, thanks to all who replied. Geo791 no hard feelings, just thought it was a broad statement to make to most member here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is a more precise way of gauging the proper oil change interval for your particular engine - a used oil analysis. I usually do one every other change, and is how I realized my 2011 Acadia was beating up my original choice of oil. UOA can help confirm the OLM algorithm is correct, or it might validate your concern about changing it early.

Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
There is a more precise way of gauging the proper oil change interval for your particular engine - a used oil analysis. I usually do one every other change, and is how I realized my 2011 Acadia was beating up my original choice of oil. UOA can help confirm the OLM algorithm is correct, or it might validate your concern about changing it early.

Tom
What was your oil choice then?

·
Registered
51 Posts
When I first got the Acadia, started using Amsoil OE. The additive package was used up by end of the OLM interval (5k miles) and I wanted more of a cushion, so went the next level up to Amsoil XL. UOAs from then on were excellent. It went almost 140k miles before I sold it, with no timing chain or other potential oil-related problems.

Tom

·
Registered
111 Posts
When I first got the Acadia, started using Amsoil OE. The additive package was used up by end of the OLM interval (5k miles) and I wanted more of a cushion, so went the next level up to Amsoil XL. UOAs from then on were excellent. It went almost 140k miles before I sold it, with no timing chain or other potential oil-related problems.

Tom
Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
Other than the 2.4L horror post I read about who has ever had an oil related problem? And please omit replying if you don't change oil at reasonable intervals....????

Edit addition I'm neither a real or fake mechanic! Backyard if it matters, last I checked we all share experiences and maybe some learn maybe not.

The cost of everything I share is FREE as is the same for everyone :>)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Other than the 2.4L horror post I read about who has ever had an oil related problem?
Plenty of 3.6L V6 owners who experienced timing chain failures. One of GM's reactions was to halve the oil change interval, starting with the 2011s, I believe. Think there was also a recall to reprogram earlier year OLMs, but going on distant memory here. Based on what I saw in the UOAs with 5k changes, I cringe at what 10k samples must have been like.

Tom

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Last night, I happened to be driving my Equinox (1.5L AWD) and noticed that after 800 miles, the OLM showed that I had already used 37% of the oil's life. At this rate, I would only be able to get about 2000 miles out of my oil. My driving habits have not changed, except for less use. Should I follow the OLM, or go with my typical 5000 OCI ? Does oil really lose its quality by just sitting in an engine ?

21 - 40 of 52 Posts