GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else notice a black puddle behind their Equinox on cold mornings after using the remote start? It is mostly water but with just enough oil to cover the surface.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is perfectly normal. It's condensation from inside the exhaust system mixed with a bit of black "carbon" contained in the pipes! Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
In cold weather vehicle engines adjust for a more rich fuel/air ratio to help it start and keep the mixture a bit rich longer until it warms up, which takes longer in cold weather. Add that to the condensation inside the exhaust system that RSchleder mentioned, which is also much greater in cold weather, and you get a black liquid coming out of the pipe.

It may have a slight oily quality to it since cold weather starts also "wash" the oil film from the cylinder walls and the pistons need to warm up to obtain a tight seal in the cylinders. This also contributes to a very slight bit of oil mixed in when it burns off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick responses. It is nice to know it is normal (and more carbon than oil).

·
Registered
977 Posts
I keep my Nox in the garage the other day I backed out and had to get out and pick something up. I couldn't believe the amount of water coming out of the tailpipe. I don't remember if I hadn't driven it for a few days. Must have gotten a lot of moisture in the exhust system. Far more than my VUE ever did Going to take it on a 3 hour drive this weekend on the NYS Thruway and Northway. This will be the longest drive so far.

·
Registered
482 Posts
RNOX said:
I keep my Nox in the garage the other day I backed out and had to get out and pick something up. I couldn't believe the amount of water coming out of the tailpipe. I don't remember if I hadn't driven it for a few days. Must have gotten a lot of moisture in the exhust system. Far more than my VUE ever did Going to take it on a 3 hour drive this weekend on the NYS Thruway and Northway. This will be the longest drive so far.
A lot of the moisture is from combustion, more noticable in colder weather until everything is warmed up when it shows up as vapor.

Looks like we may have a weather event coming up this weekend, hope you don't run in to much slow traffic.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Terra-Nox said:
A lot of the moisture is from combustion, more noticable in colder weather until everything is warmed up when it shows up as vapor.

Looks like we may have a weather event coming up this weekend, hope you don't run in to much slow traffic.

I hope the weather is Ok for the trip. The amount of water was FAR more than the other vehicles I have garaged but at this point I have no problems

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Keep in mind as well that the Terrain has a fairly large muffler and it takes a lot exhaust to heat it up to start to turn that excess water into steam.

On my G8, I get a huge puddle the first time I take off in the morning if I do it hard enough to launch the water out the tips. My wife really thought something was wrong one day when she was following me home from her work.

·
Registered
977 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Keep in mind as well that the Terrain has a fairly large muffler and it takes a lot exhaust to heat it up to start to turn that excess water into steam.

On my G8, I get a huge puddle the first time I take off in the morning if I do it hard enough to launch the water out the tips. My wife really thought something was wrong one day when she was following me home from her work.
I think the water was coming out of a weep hole in the muffler. My garage is warmer than last year when I had the VUE since I changed the doors to an insulated pair. My have something to do with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts