GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if regular mineral oil is good enough or if i should continue to use Synthetic oil like i've done in all my other cars ?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
We switched to Castrol synthetic after our first oil change at 6800 km or so.
It was recommended by the Dealer after we specifically asked for synthetic.
Castrol is a synthetic approved by GM according to Dealer and states so on the container.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Roesterman said:
Don"t use mineral oil... use motor oil! Click on links to see definitions if you are not sure what mineral oil is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil
Because it is noncompressible, mineral oil is used as a hydraulic fluid in hydraulic machinery and vehicles. It is also used as a lubricant and a cutting fluid.

Mineral Oil is the type of oil that is used in "regular" motor oil. In the way you talk.... Synthetic Oil is not motor oil ;)

Motor oils are derived from petroleum-based and non-petroleum synthesized chemical compounds. Motor oils are today mainly blended by using base oils composed of hydrocarbons (mineral,[/color] polyalphaolefins (PAO), polyinternal olefins[2] (PIO), thus organic compounds consisting entirely of carbon and hydrogen.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SuperMat64 said:
Because it is noncompressible, mineral oil is used as a hydraulic fluid in hydraulic machinery and vehicles. It is also used as a lubricant and a cutting fluid.

Mineral Oil is the type of oil that is used in "regular" motor oil. In the way you talk.... Synthetic Oil is not motor oil ;)

Motor oils are derived from petroleum-based and non-petroleum synthesized chemical compounds. Motor oils are today mainly blended by using base oils composed of hydrocarbons (mineral,[/color] polyalphaolefins (PAO), polyinternal olefins[2] (PIO), thus organic compounds consisting entirely of carbon and hydrogen.
Yeah thank dude, this is what i was thinkin, i always prefered Synthetic MOTOR ;) Oil. I will switch to Synthetic as soon as i get the need to. My Terrain is only at 40km :). Got it yesterday.

Thank you and have a nice day :)[/color]

·
Registered
635 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts