GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to solve a over heating, no heat issue, I placed the jack on the oil pan and raised the vehicle, while under I noticed oil on the jack. I punctured the tank! it's small but consistent. it's like a hair line. How can I repair this? It looks like the pan can be removed, not sure. oh it's a 2013.

·
Registered
10,027 Posts
You're going to have to bite the bullet, and replace the oil pan. Do NOT drive it any place in the mean time.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you're really lucky, you might be able to fix it with JB weld. I had a similar thing happen with a Cobalt years back and it worked.

Drain the oil.
Make sure nothing is coming out of the crack.
Lightly sand the cracked area.
Mix a little JB weld and thinly coat the area.
Let it dry well.
Lightly sand and apply another thin coat of JB weld.
Repeat until you have 4 to 5 thin coats.
Pray.

If that doesn't work, oil pan replacement is the only other solution.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I was trying to solve a over heating, no heat issue, I placed the jack on the oil pan and raised the vehicle, while under I noticed oil on the jack. I punctured the tank! it's small but consistent. it's like a hair line. How can I repair this? It looks like the pan can be removed, not sure. oh it's a 2013.
The pan can be removed and repaired or replaced, 2.4L or 3.6L ?
About $140 for a new one or see your local wrecking yard.
I have used JB Weld several times and it sometimes it works other times the crack will come back.
If you go that route repair the crack from the inside is best.
BTW the new 2019 Caddy XT4 with the 2.0L comes with a plastic oil pan, so find a new spot for your jack.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I’ve never jacked a vehicle up using the oil pan and never would consider it mostly because it’s not an “advertised” jacking point, but also because oil pans can be a PITA to replace (eg: had to remove the exhaust on my Taurus to remove the oil pan to replace a gasket once! Not sure if that applies for Nox/Terrain).

On 2nd thought - I’d just replace it. Patch it and there’s always that worry that it’ll start leaking again - at the worst possible time.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
53 Posts
The local u-pull it wants $28/$23 for aluminum/steel oil pans respectively. At that price I wouldn't waste my time trying a patch job with its fairly large chance of failure, probably at the most inopportune time.
Let us know what you end up doing and the results!

Regards,
John

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
if you HAVE to use the pan to raise/support the engine (like when attempting to replace a motor mount)-- place a 2x4 or a flat piece of plywood on the pan to distribute the force along the entire pan-- and not in 1 spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts