GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for hours trying to find out what kind of Oil filter wrench to buy for my dad's equinox and am not having any luck.

Could someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I've been using a metal strap-style "wrench" by Plough (spelling?) for at least 15 years on three different cars with varying sized filters without any problems. It's about a foot long from end to end with a rubber sleeve over the handle. The metal ring which goes around the filter body is about an inch wide and the wrench can pivot in the middle in case you don't have a straight shot to the filter. The nice thing about the strap style is you can use it on different sized filters (multiple cars). Just make sure it's big enough to fit around YOUR filter.

The rigid "cap" or "socket" style filter removers are probably the best because it's like grabbing a particular-sized bolthead with the exact-sized socket - it's a positive fit and it's not gonna slip. But you have to have clearance in the engine compartment to use those and they only work on ONE filter size.

Whatever you do, DON'T re-install the filter with the wrench. Only use the wrench for removal. Hand tighten, then about about 1/2 to 3/4 more by hand (or about as much as you can do by hand). I use a rubber glove for a better grip.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ethereal45 said:
I've been searching for hours trying to find out what kind of Oil filter wrench to buy for my dad's equinox and am not having any luck.

Could someone enlighten me?

V6 or 2.4?

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
He's got the OLD Equinox (2006). It's a V6 ... the 3.4 "Chinese" engine ... a spin-on filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts