GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the oil filter located and is it easily accessible without lifting the vehicle? I'm due for my first oil change soon and as I've done with previous vehicles, I want to put a mark on the filter to be sure it was changed. Thanks in advance for the advice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
We get 4 FREE dealer changes on NEW vehicles, let them find it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You missed my point. I want to mark the filter to be sure they actually change it. I've done that on all my previous vehicles, and a couple of times over the years I've discovered the filter was not changed during service. According to the 2018 Equinox brochure "TWO maintenance visits (oil and filter changes, tire rotations and multi-point vehicle inspections" are included at no charge.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Purchasing a new 2019 Chevy Equinox in the USA gets you only one maintenance service, and it isn't free; it's built into the vehicles' price.

We also don't get OnStar remote access for five years either, like prior year models; although it can be purchased for $9.95 a month. One month of full OnStar access included with purchase; three months if you give them access to your credit card.

Then if you don't notify them to select a different option or want to let the service expire, it continues on at the current plan and they bill your on file credit card.

My first vehicle equipped with OnStar had one year of service, later I had a vehicle with six months, another with three months, now it is only one month.

I guess it is more fair to those who may never want or use these services: Now they aren't forced to purchase something they would never use; although they did purchase the hardware that enables the service.

·
Registered
491 Posts
You missed my point. I want to mark the filter to be sure they actually change it. I've done that on all my previous vehicles, and a couple of times over the years I've discovered the filter was not changed during service. Also I thought we get TWO free oil/filter change, tire rotation services during the first two years.
As I understand, sometime in mid May of 2018, Chevy's purchased after that date only get one included maintenance visit.

The same holds true for OnStar remote access service; (access using My Chevrolet app with a smartphone) After one month included service, the remote access is an optional paid service.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Interesting... I'll have to check into that. I purchased mine June 30, 2018.
Your 2018 probably does include two services, it's the OnStar that changed mid model year I believe.

The standard equipment column on your window sticker will let you determine if you have one or two included maintenance visits.

On my 2019 Equinox it says:

First Maintenance Visit
Oil Change and Tire Rotation
Multi-Point Vehicle
27 Point Inspection

·
Registered
189 Posts
If the dealer tech did not change my filter cartridge "on one of my 4 "free" changes, they would never see me at that dealer again. Simply tell them to please change the filter cartridge, be up front.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Member asked where filter is located. Post #2 is the only post that answers his question via visual. All the succeeding posts are of NO value. This forum goes off-subject more than necessary! Lets help our members and start a new thread per subject.
Howard

·
Registered
189 Posts
Member asked where filter is located. Post #2 is the only post that answers his question via visual. All the succeeding posts are of NO value. This forum goes off-subject more than necessary! Lets help our members and start a new thread per subject.
Howard
Actually Howard the original post mentioned his concern with technicians not changing the filter also. Myself I addressed that point but, I hear what your saying. If posts are irrelevant, they will simply go quiet and find there way off the page. Now I am done re-activating this post too :wink:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a 2016 with a 3.6 BUT I am curious as to where and how hard it is to change the filter as my next potential vehicle will be a new Equinox with the 2.0 as I do my own oil changes AFTER THE FREE ONES. Post number 2 showed the filter location on the engine but it does not show how bad the vehicle frame, oil lines, coolant hose, etc. is blocking access to the filter in real life. That is what I was hoping to read here. The filter on my Equinox's 3.6 is not too bad, but the filter on my 2017 Colorado's 3.6 is an insert from above and is tricky to manuever around wiring harnesses and a/c lines. The engineer's picture of the engine sitting on an engine stand means nothing in real life. I mentioned in other posts that I was waiting for the Blazer. Blazer is here and way too expensive for my needs. I do not like the Ford Escape or the Ford Edge so Equinox will probably be my next vehicle with the 2.0 with the hilly terrain we have in my region. So how bad is changing the oil filter in a 2.0?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Howard

I am the one guilty of not staying on topic. I apologize and will concentrate on staying on the topics. :plain:
Darksky,
To answer the original question as to where the oil filter is located on a 2.0 Equinox:

It is in the center, approximately 24 inches from the face of the license plate, and just behind the splash shield under and behind the bumper. It is easily seen and is accessible by reaching underneath; can be done without lifting the vehicle.

Thread back on topic. Sorry for not answering your question initially.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You missed my point. I want to mark the filter to be sure they actually change it. I've done that on all my previous vehicles, and a couple of times over the years I've discovered the filter was not changed during service. According to the 2018 Equinox brochure "TWO maintenance visits (oil and filter changes, tire rotations and multi-point vehicle inspections" are included at no charge.
UP HERE we don't get Tire Rotations OR the inspection. However my son is the tech that does our service at the dealership so I never thought of dealer lying about that. I know he checks everything.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did not see any info on the location of the oil filter - only a discussion of how many free oil changes come with the vehicle, I got my one free oil change for the dealer. Now, I want to change my own oil. I have a 2019 Equinox with the 1.5L engine. Please advise.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
184 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts