GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m probably a couple of months away from my first oil change but I have started to look for a filter for the 2011 V-6 engine. I only want to use a Mobil 1, Amsoil, AC Delco, or a Wix filter. The manual calls for an AC Delco PF 63. Problem with this filter is the length. From what I can find the PF 63 is a longer version of the PF 48. I think the filter on it from the factory is a PF 48 but I'm not 100% sure. The filter on the car from the factory is about 3.25 inches long. The Mobil 1, M1-212 filter is 4.45 inches long. There is not a lot of clearance between the end of the filter and the electric fan. I just don’t see how the PF 63 can be installed, if there is even room to start the threads on the filter, and not touch the fan when it is installed. A filter any longer then about 4.75 inches will hit the fan housing when installed.

Has anyone actually installed one of the above brand filters their V-6 engine and had room for it to fit?

·
Registered
193 Posts
GM spec'd the PF 63, so I would think they checked to see if it would fit. Buy one of each, and it for some reason the PF 63 doesn't fit, you have the other one.

·
Registered
338 Posts
#PI0411: Replacement Oil Filter PF63 - (Mar 18, 2011)

Subject: Replacement Oil Filter PF63

Models: 2011 Chevrolet Equinox

2011 GMC Terrain

Equipped with 3.0L Engine (RPO LFW)

2011 Buick Enclave, LaCrosse

2011 Chevrolet Traverse

2011 GMC Acadia

Equipped with 3.6L Engine (RPO LLT)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some technicians may comment that the approved oil filter replacement (Model PF63) is incorrect. Technicians may find it difficult to remove the longer replacement filter without bottoming the filter end cap wrench on the auxiliary cooling fan housing on Terrain and Equinox models. The replacement filter is longer than the OEM production filter. GM recommended service replacement PF63 (P/N 89017525) provides more filter media for additional filtration and strength.

AC Delco oil filters are designed to meet the manufacturer's specifications for modern GM Powertrains that have higher engine oil pressures, increased oil flow rates and extended oil change intervals in both cold and warm operating conditions.

Technicians may have to remove the oil filter end cap wrench after loosening the filter, yet prior to un-threading the filter from the engine adapter. The PF63 filter should be installed and hand tightened. Then if additional torque is needed, install the filter end cap wrench and torque to specification.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Does anyone know where to find a Mobile 1 M1-212 filter? I can't find one at stores or online.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I use a strap wrench, no problems that way.

The K&N filter has that nut on the end so that particular filter MAY be a problem.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm still using PF48 as nobody has the PF63 down here. Until I can get a PF63, I'll just continue to use the PF48.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is there a TSB on this yet?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
joerascal said:
I replace my filter last month with the longer filter. There is plenty of room. No problems :)

+1[/color]

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
RnB said:
I'm still using PF48 as nobody has the PF63 down here. Until I can get a PF63, I'll just continue to use the PF48.
Really!?
Try asking for an oil filter for a 2011 GMC Canyon with the 3.7Lt.
My Hubby's new 'Beeter' and it uses the PF63 filter, see what they come up with.
Good luck![/color]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I couldn't locate a PF63 so I used a Napa Gold 7045. It fit without any problems. I did need a pair of oil filter pliers from Harbor Freight to remove the old filter as it was very tight. Changing the oil in the Terrain is the easiest car I have ever done. I like the way there is a drip trough around the base of the filter and this prevents oil from running down the side of the engine block. The oil drips off the end of the trough into my oil drain pan. I got a little oil on the front cross member but it was easy to wipe off.

I drive 95% highway miles and the oil life monitor said the oil needed to be changed at 5K miles. Running Mobil 1 oil now so I'll probably ignore the oil life monitor and just change it at 7K miles from now on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
CarrollB said:
I drive 95% highway miles and the oil life monitor said the oil needed to be changed at 5K miles. Running Mobil 1 oil now so I'll probably ignore the oil life monitor and just change it at 7K miles from now on.
It's just me but I only go 5K intervals. Our Malibu has 244K miles and our Silhouette has 152K miles when we traded it for the Equinox. I never had it analyzed but it was definitely dirty at 5K. Never burned or lost any before the change.

I'm doing 5K on the Equinox now and its definitely on the dirty side when its time to change. Even the DIC is saying to change at 5K, which I find very strange as all the other cars I've had that had that feature would go off around 12-15K miles.

Just my couple of pennies thrown in...

·
Registered
850 Posts
Re: Oil Filter for a 2012 Terrain V-6, 3.0L

I thought I would add my .02 cents. I went to Auto Zone, other stores with cars stuff, Advanced Auto Parts, and the went into O'Reily auto parts store that had a PF63 oil filter last year. The same still apply's today with this one O'Reily parts store in our town. They keep only one on the shelf as this time I was going to buy 2, as long I was there. She said they only stock one. The PF63 costs me $11.00 with tax. I am under the impression, the Auto Parts stores are still listing the old smaller filter PF48 and unaware of published replacement update to the PF63. At least this one parts store tries to keep one on the shelf.

So, 5 gal jug of Penzoil PP, 5 qrts, was $25.00 at Wally, w one more qrt was $7.00 + $11.00 Filter = $42.00
Local garage labor is $10.00 or my total cost is $52.00 to change my oil. This local garage documents on my receipts:
Date, Mileage, Filter#, Oil name and weight#'s and paper is put in glove box folder. My oil and filter gets changed Sat morn. When tires need rotating, same garage charges only $10.00.

I called the GMC dealer to ask their price to change out with their Mobil 1, $80.00, still the same.
This will be my 5th oil change and saved $140.00.

·
Registered
2019 GMC Terrain 2.0 AWD , no V92 trailer option
517 Posts
Here is a comparison of a larger oil filter and the small factory speced filter. If we owned the V6 we would up size the filter as our other vehicles have been.

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.782
Outer Diameter Top: 2.939
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20/75=10/20/25
Nominal Micron Rating: 21"

vs the wee factory 57060.

Wix 57060 & Napa 7060 Oil Filter

Code: 57060
Retail Price: $6.29
Price Per Filter: $3.85

"PARTS DETAIL
Principal Application: Various GM, Saturn, Saab, Chrysler, Jeep (07-10)
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.430
Outer Diameter Top: 2.970
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 22X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/75=8/22
Max Flow Rate: 10-12 GPM