GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the oil changed at the dealer and I've noticed some oil dripping from underneath the car. For the people who have done their own oil changes, is there a place where oil gathers so as to drip later if it is not whipped off correctly? I'll pull it on ramps to check it out this weekend but if anyone has an idea of what it is, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Valsequinox said:
I had the oil changed at the dealer and I've noticed some oil dripping from underneath the car. For the people who have done their own oil changes, is there a place where oil gathers so as to drip later if it is not whipped off correctly? I'll pull it on ramps to check it out this weekend but if anyone has an idea of what it is, I'd appreciate it.
Exact same thing happened to me after the dealer changed the oil. My wife took it back to the dealer several days later after I noticed the drops on the driveway. They found that it was residual oil that was trapped somewhere under there and cleaned it up with a rag. Hasn't leaked a drop since.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any place where oil can collect, and the oil filter is a non-messy type. You can crawl under the car - depending on your size - and take a look pretty easily. Definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
Exact same thing happened to me after the dealer changed the oil. My wife took it back to the dealer several days later after I noticed the drops on the driveway. They found that it was residual oil that was trapped somewhere under there and cleaned it up with a rag. Hasn't leaked a drop since.
You have a V6 and he has a 4 cyl.

·
Registered
216 Posts
RIT333 said:
There doesn't seem to be any place where oil can collect, and the oil filter is a non-messy type. You can crawl under the car - depending on your size - and take a look pretty easily. Definitely worth a look.
I agree, I change my own oil and filter and there is not any place for oil to collect and drip. Just put the drain plug back in, tighten and wipe around it. From my experience very little oil if any comes out when the cap and filter is removed.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Is it possible that the plug just needs a slight bit more tightening? Just a guess.

·
Registered
10,502 Posts
I suppose that whoever filled the engine with oil could have been sloppy, and it might be dripping down the engine - do you smell any burning oil ?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RIT333 said:
I suppose that whoever filled the engine with oil could have been sloppy, and it might be dripping down the engine - do you smell any burning oil ?
Thanks for all the replys, I don't smell any engine oil. I looked at the oil that had dripped and it looks like used oil. I'm going to put it up on ramps and see what's going on. If the drain plug is loose, I'm gonna raise hell!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I had the same problem on my last oil change, but there was a little bit more then a few drops. It happened 3 days in a row. I know it wasn't any trapped oil and even if it was it wouldn't take 3 days and a puddle (about a shot glass amount) each time. The dipstick showed it being at the top of the full mark. It was clean engine oil - not trans oil or anything else.
I've been changing my own oil for over 45 years so I know how to do it, I've NEVER had a problem.
So I crawled under and looked around. The drain plug was tight and no oil anywhere around the plug. I then looked at the filter, it looked clean - no oil on it. I grabed it and gave it a turn and it turned about 3/8". That's all I did and do not have any more oil leakage. So I'm stumped. Maybe the filter was somehow able to loosen up a bit due to vibration, I don't know.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the car up on ramps and checked it out. The drain plug is tight, it looks like when they replaced the actuators some oil had spilled over on the back of the engine and dripped on the K frame supports. I check the oil and it looks good, although the dipstick is not easy to read due to the new design ( KISS). If I get another drip, I'll bring it in, It's only dripped twice so I'll keep a close eye on it. Hopefully they tightened down the valve cover per the manual.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GARYD said:
I had the same problem on my last oil change, but there was a little bit more then a few drops. It happened 3 days in a row. I know it wasn't any trapped oil and even if it was it wouldn't take 3 days and a puddle (about a shot glass amount) each time. The dipstick showed it being at the top of the full mark. It was clean engine oil - not trans oil or anything else.
I've been changing my own oil for over 45 years so I know how to do it, I've NEVER had a problem.
So I crawled under and looked around. The drain plug was tight and no oil anywhere around the plug. I then looked at the filter, it looked clean - no oil on it. I grabed it and gave it a turn and it turned about 3/8". That's all I did and do not have any more oil leakage. So I'm stumped. Maybe the filter was somehow able to loosen up a bit due to vibration, I don't know.
I hear you, I've been doing my own oil changes for 30 years. I decided not to due the oil changes on the NOX because we've had some recall issues and I don't want to take a chance on them voiding the warranty due to some documentation error. Before, someone replys saying just document when you do it, I'm not taking the chance I've had to many problems with this car. The wife loves it, so I'm going to keep it but the dealer is going to do all the work on it whild it's under warranty.

PS Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
GARYD said:
Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this also with more information. Please feel free to contact me privately Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Every thing seems fine now - no more leaking. That one had me stumped.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GARYD said:
Every thing seems fine now - no more leaking. That one had me stumped.
That makes two of us, I have yet to see another drop of oil since my post. I do feel better that I put the car on ramps and checked everything out. What bothered me originally is there's nothing under the engine ( wind/debris guard) to catch oil like most cars. It helps that I was an aircraft mechanic for 15 years so I look at everything through a mechanics eye :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I experienced the same problem. Took the nox (V6 FWD) back to the dealer and they replaced the oil filter. three oil changes later and no problems since the first oil change.

·
Registered
216 Posts
All of these problems with what should be a simple and clean job by a dealer isn't mostly for one reason. Oil & filter changes are generally done by one of the lowest payed persons in the shop. Many of them don't give a da** about your car or doing the job right; their just making hours and waiting on pay day.

That's why even at 68 years old I continue to change my own oil and filter; that way I know it's done right.

Changing the oil and filter on the Terrain and Nox is about as easy as it gets.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
43sbest said:
All of these problems with what should be a simple and clean job by a dealer isn't mostly for one reason. Oil & filter changes are generally done by one of the lowest payed persons in the shop. Many of them don't give a da** about your car or doing the job right; their just making hours and waiting on pay day.

That's why even at 68 years old I continue to change my own oil and filter; that way I know it's done right.

What kind of records are you keeping, just in case an engine problem occurs?

·
Registered
315 Posts
43sbest said:

Very true...but seems others are not capable here as well :).......Just saying!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Here's a list of problems from 2 saturn dealers and my current Chevy Dealer

1. Oil change - Filter not changed- Saturn Dealer

2. Leak after tranny filter change - Gasket put on wrong - Saturn Dealer

3. Steering Rack Replaced - Not handling right - Wheel alignment not performed correctly - Saturn Dealer

4. Recall on rear end - Not handling right - Wheel aligment machine was out of spec - Saturn Dealer

5. OLM light came on - Dealer did not reset OLM - Chevy Dealer

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
grometsc said:
Very true...but seems others are not capable here as well :).......Just saying!
Capability has nothing to do with it :mad:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts