GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2019 SLT 2L , after first oil change at the dealer, then I did the second oil change, and the plug had oil on it so I wiped it off and the plug came off in my hand. I asked the dealer if they had a problem, he said no. I put it on hand tight then 1/4 turn. Now third oil change it was not tight, it broke with little effort, has anyone had this problem. thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
On a 2019 SLT 2L , after first oil change at the dealer, then I did the second oil change, and the plug had oil on it so I wiped it off and the plug came off in my hand. I asked the dealer if they had a problem, he said no. I put it on hand tight then 1/4 turn. Now third oil change it was not tight, it broke with little effort, has anyone had this problem. thanks
I can't determine if you are referring to the oil drain plug, or the oil filter.

The oil drain plug has a specific torque value to tighten it to. The oil filter is installed by first hand tightening, then a certain degree of further rotation to completely tighten.

Remember to clean the surface on the engine where the filter seats, and apply a thin film of clean engine oil to the oil filter gasket surface before installing the filter.

·
Registered
2020 gmc terrain 1.5 SLE 9 speed Black
72 Posts
I've had issues with Dealers changing, I took mine in for the first time oil change, they put in the wrong weight and they overfilled according to the stick, the said the paper work was wrong the weight was correct they aiso said 1/2 over full wouldn't hurt anything. These Dealers higher than untrained people to change oil....

·
Registered
90 Posts
For the drain plug I just hand tighten it and never had any issues with that. If the plug keeps coming loose maybe add a rubber gasket.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Precisely why I perform all my own oil changes...

Reactions: repairman54

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Myself, i would not trust hand-tight for oil drain plug, unless your fingers are as strong as vice-grips. Mine aren't.

Reactions: kbz1960

·
Registered
90 Posts
Myself, i would not trust hand-tight for oil drain plug, unless your fingers are as strong as vice-grips. Mine aren't.
I use a socket wrench my friend, love to use a torque wrench but don't have one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts