GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my oil changed today for the first time, and the guy changing the oil showed me that the car was way low on oil. I have no leaks showing in the garage. Could a brand new car be burning oil already? It had been 9200 miles on the odometer but thats when the DIC told me to change it. Anyone else burning oil?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Did you check oil when you took delivery? Maybe it was low to start with.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If you went 9200 miles on the oil that it came in from the factory and NEVER checked it, you need to get in the habit of doing it especially if you arent using synthetic oil. Direct Injection engines are TOUGH as hell on oil due to the fuel atomizing in the combustion chamber. Its really easy for the oil to become diluted with fuel and lose its viscosity and become thin.

·
Registered
176 Posts
An old trick that shops used to do is only push the dip stick in partially showing low oil. They'd happily sell you a quart of oil. My last new car, I had the oild changed at 5K miles, not trusting the DIC reading. I now change my own oil as it is easy plus I use Mobil 1 and get 10K miles before the DIC gets to 10%.

I'd just check oil levels at least once a month to see if there is a problem.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think I'd have requested a oil check while I was present as who knows what he meant by "way low on oil" Could have been a quart or less, who knows? And I agree, it's a great idea to check your oil every few thousand miles or every few weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it was one of those places that change it while you stay in the car and I saw him pull the dip stick out that had no oil on it. I took the car to the dealer and they are saying that its normal to lose 2 quarts of oil in 9000 miles. and not to follow the dic on when to change the oil. they said do it every 5000 miles, but I just think they want my money.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
No, I think they are giving you wise advice. Do some searches on this forum, and you will see that Direct-Injection is tough on oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts