GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me a dinosaur, but I still believe in doing the first oil change right after 1000mi. So I made an appointment and went to the dealer today to get my oil changed, since I now have 1050mi. Don't get me wrong, I appriciate an honest service department. The service writer asked me if I really wanted an oil change so soon. She went on to say how new engines are already broke in from the factory and I'm wasting my money. I just smiled and asked her to humor an old man, I'll get it done anyway. So I'm thinking, if engines now a days are broke in direct from the factory, then why does Chevy have a rather strict break in procedure in the owners manual to follow. I also asked her what her opinion was to when would be the best time to change to synthetic. I was thinking about doing that at about 10,000 mi. She said that she didn't recommend ever changing over to synthetic if the engine didn't require it....again, I'd be wasting my money. Just curious what opinions you might have on this.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I see no problem with changing the oil at 1000 miles, I did that on my 2008 Cobalt SS and found some junk in the filter and it comes with synthetic
oil from the factory.
I will be going to synthetic in my Terrain at 10,000 miles.
As far as brake in goes it's more for the whole drive train and not just for the motor. The rings should be fully seatd by 100 miles and that's just about the only thing in the motor that has any brake in anymore.

·
Registered
441 Posts
should have asked her then why the new dexos oil requirement.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
jbatc said:
Call me a dinosaur, but I still believe in doing the first oil change right after 1000mi. So I made an appointment and went to the dealer today to get my oil changed, since I now have 1050mi. Don't get me wrong, I appriciate an honest service department. The service writer asked me if I really wanted an oil change so soon. She went on to say how new engines are already broke in from the factory and I'm wasting my money. I just smiled and asked her to humor an old man, I'll get it done anyway. So I'm thinking, if engines now a days are broke in direct from the factory, then why does Chevy have a rather strict break in procedure in the owners manual to follow. I also asked her what her opinion was to when would be the best time to change to synthetic. I was thinking about doing that at about 10,000 mi. She said that she didn't recommend ever changing over to synthetic if the engine didn't require it....again, I'd be wasting my money. Just curious what opinions you might have on this.
I have done extensive reading on and about synthetic oil. I can find no reason not to switch over, it may be more expensive but you can go farther between changes. Next time you are in a Walmart check out the oils they are carrying. A few years ago Mobil 1 was the only one on the shelve, now every oil company is carrying 2 brands of synthetic. The trend seems to be moving towards synthetic.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My last new car I changed the oil at 5000 miles and it was a free one from the dealer(DIC said 48%). The next oil change I did myself and used Mobil 1. I follow the DIC and have been changing oil at 7000-11000 mile intervals when the DIC gets to 10-20% using M1. When you do it yourself It costs ~$30 or so including the oil filter which is in the ball park cost of a dealer oil change.

·
Registered
321 Posts
jbatc said:
In my opinion, use any dexos specified oil and change as per GM recommended intervals.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Another dealer giving wrong advice. Do they all think we're all stupid? Any engine will benifit from syn oil, period.

And it's not more expensive when you consider the extended change interval, material, labor and time. I do my own changes so I save even more $$$$.

I always change the oil in a new car at 500 miles with dino, at 1000 miles again with dino, then at 1500 miles I switch to syn. Then every 7500 miles thereafter.
So right now I change my Terrain, Harley and Tiberon twice a year. That's why I became an Amsoil dealer...just to get the discount since I use so much oil. ;D

·
Registered
371 Posts
I called my local dealer to confirm they had Dexos cert oil in now, which they did. Dealers around here use Northland oil for bulk and for the Dexos it's Northland Synergy Synthetic. I called Northland to ask if it was a full syn or blend and was told FULL. Roughly $45 for the oil change with this oil isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
$45 is a decent price for a syn oil/filter change. Believe it or not a Harley dealer charges around $90 for a syn oil change.

·
Registered
626 Posts
tsduke said:
I called my local dealer to confirm they had Dexos cert oil in now, which they did. Dealers around here use Northland oil for bulk and for the Dexos it's Northland Synergy Synthetic. I called Northland to ask if it was a full syn or blend and was told FULL. Roughly $45 for the oil change with this oil isn't too bad.
Where are you located?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I also live in Iowa and my local Chevy charges closer to $60 for a syn oil change in my Terrain. Even more for my C5 corvette as it uses 6qt's of oil.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This dealer normally charges in the $50's for syn they have in bulk, closer to $60 if you want Mobil1. They told me the Northland Synergy Syn(Dexos1) is about $8-9 more than their standard Northland syn blend for a 5qt change. It does seem like a really good price and I questioned it. That's why I called Northland to confirm full syn or blends for the new Northland Dexos1 oil. Part of me still wonders if not a full and is in fact a blend at that price.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Guess you have to trust what oil a dealer puts in (or anyone else for that matter??

I had my oil changed at a Saturn dealer and they didn't change the oil filter. When I spoke to the service writer he said "Happens more often than you would think". After this I just do all my own oil changes

·
Registered
371 Posts
I do my own in my truck, but still on the fence for the Nox. Our chevy dealer has a lube shop separate from the service shop and I can at least watch that they use the right oil and change the filter.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
RNOX, you and me both. I had one bad experience at a franchise lube store...never again. If you have the time and garage to do it, but some people don't have all that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
GARYD said:
Another dealer giving wrong advice. Do they all think we're all stupid? Any engine will benifit from syn oil, period.

And it's not more expensive when you consider the extended change interval, material, labor and time. I do my own changes so I save even more $$$$.

I always change the oil in a new car at 500 miles with dino, at 1000 miles again with dino, then at 1500 miles I switch to syn. Then every 7500 miles thereafter.
So right now I change my Terrain, Harley and Tiberon twice a year. That's why I became an Amsoil dealer...just to get the discount since I use so much oil. ;D

Thank you. Its people like you that will keep me with a job at the oil refinery.
I personally change my oil at the oil interval stated on my console. 15.4k miles before I made my first oil change. The next one is scheduled at 30k. I went with synthetic, but I would ok with going that far with regualr dino oils.

Please keep changing your oil at those intervals. I will keep saying Che Ching at the refinery..... ;D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You got it DeMan, glad I'm able to keep you working - just doing my part to stimulate the economy. How about REALLY thanking all those that change every 3K miles, they're keeping you working a lot better then I am. And don't you worry, I will continue to change at those intervals for as long as I'm breathing. Now, how do you feel that you are putting people out of work that make oil filters? ;D

I'd love to see you go 30K miles on dino oil.

You have nothing to worry about, refineries will be here for at least another 75 years if we don't blow ourselves up fighting for oil first.

·
Registered
87 Posts
GARYD said:
I'd love to see you go 30K miles on dino oil.
I'm not going 30k on a single change nor recommend anyone do it with any type of oil. I changed my oil ~15.4k miles My next interval is ~30k.

Now I wouldn't have any issues going 15k-20k on todays dino oil. Many GM owners are doing same, as both engines and oils have improved.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
DeMan, sorry I misread your post. I thought it said your next oil change would be 30K from the last change.

Still, I would never go more then 3K/4K on dino oil, but then again, I don't use dino oil anymore.

I use Amsoil's 7.5K/6 month syn oil. They also have 25K/1 year oil, but I'm not ready to try that yet. ;D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts