GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everybody suggest as far as oil change time? Should I do it at 3000 miles or should I follow the oil change life thing? Right now I have about 1800 miles on it and 80% of oil life remaining. Give me your thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, that 3000 mile schedule really seems to be based on nothing more than money for the providers. So I too follow the computer, which is designed to work with your driving habits and the engine.

That said, I will probably have my very first change at 3000, and then follow the computer after that. :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
You're fine to follow the oil life monitor, but aren't really hurting anything by changing sooner or later. There's also an argument to be made for changing oil within the first thousand or two miles of the vehicle, as there's often a little tiny bit of metal particulates that are left over from the manufacturing process of the engine.

I personally don't buy into the mentality of needing to change any sooner than about 5000 miles (as snowitch said, look who's profiting from it...). Modern engines (and oils) are so reliable now, that the basic engine itself is now typically the least of your concerns nowadays. You'd be better off saving the $100 or $200 in the extra oil changes every year and putting it towards something like a repair fund. After 10 years, you'd be covered for a pretty significant repair, which again isn't going to be your engine anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. It sounds to me like I just need to trust the technology. I does sound nice to not have to change my oil every couple of months.

·
Registered
182 Posts
TerrainSLE2 said:
Thanks. It sounds to me like I just need to trust the technology. I does sound nice to not have to change my oil every couple of months.
Mechanics 101 - Engine oil serves 3 mail purposes - cleaning, cooling, and lubricating. The primary purpose of an oil change is to assist in the cleaning function, not the cooling and lubricating function. If the oil isn't overly dirty, then why change it (at $50 a pop)? If your baby's diaper isn't dirty, why change it? Changing it for the sake of changing it doesn't help you.

Sure, maybe changing your oil every month will keep your engine that tiny bit cleaner and buy you another year, but at what cost? $400 or $500 worth of oil changes per year? After 10 years, you can just rebuild the engine for less... And as I mentioned before, Engines are so good nowadays, the rest of the car will fall apart before the engine does.

And modern oils are so incredibly well engineered with so many additives, you just don't need to worry about it *that* much. Since the Terrain/Nox are direct injected, you'd be much better off spending your time making sure you fill up at stations that have the toptier clean gas.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am a believer in the MotoTune break in procedure, after that, change the oil immediately (before the engine cools down) and filter. Also change the transmission fluid and filter at the same time. Use synthetic trans fluid also. After that, change about every quarter ( 3 months or so). If you don't drive much mileage, change ever 6 months or so.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This whole computer thing has been hard for me to accept, but I'm certainly getting there. My family owned a few NAPA stores in PA and I still remember my dad telling me that oil changes were the most important thing you could do for your car. I was religious about changing oil every 3000 miles (but of course oil was free)! Back then, and I'm talking early 60's thru the 80's, I still think that was the proper thing to do. These days, I have to rely on these big buck engineers who design engines and the producers who make superior real and synthetic motor oils. Having said all that, I'm still changing my oil at 3000 miles during this break in period and then I'll rely on the computer to tell me when to go to Pronto Oil Change & Car Wash!! Nuff said for me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wouldn't say the 3000 mile thing was a myth. More of a tested reality for the time it was first suggested. Of course times have changed. And fortunately today we have devices and computers in our cars that can test when an oil has been used enough to consider changing it. I change mine between 50% and 25% life left. I've found that to be around 5000 miles or more. I also don't believe in all of the synthetic sales B.S. Yes, they are better, but what most consumers fail to realize is that they don't need better 90% of the time. I use a cheaper 50/50 blend, as I do gain some from the extended milage ability, but don't spend too much on unrealized benefits that won't affect me anyway.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Or better yet, use an oil that is made domestically to support jobs here? That is possible to do. I don't know what brand my dealer uses, but they state it's domestic. I trust them on that.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
TerrainSLE2 said:
What does everybody suggest as far as oil change time? Should I do it at 3000 miles or should I follow the oil change life thing? Right now I have about 1800 miles on it and 80% of oil life remaining. Give me your thoughts or suggestions. Thanks!!!
I went to the dealer yesterday to exchange some headphones that an earpiece broke off of.
I scheduled some recall items for next week and wanted an oil change.
The Service Advisor checked the oil and remaining oil life and said "no need, oil is clean and remaining oil life is 44%. The oil monitor system will tell you when to bring it in for an oil change".
So we're taking their advice.
BTW, we have almost 5000km (3000 miles) on the Terrain and being from the old school I would have changed it.
Nice dealer, others may have suggested to change it just to make a buck!

·
Registered
93 Posts
gearhead said:
I went to the dealer yesterday to exchange some headphones that an earpiece broke off of.
I scheduled some recall items for next week and wanted an oil change.
The Service Advisor checked the oil and remaining oil life and said "no need, oil is clean and remaining oil life is 44%. The oil monitor system will tell you when to bring it in for an oil change".
So we're taking their advise.
BTW, we have almost 5000km (3000 miles) on the Terrain and being from the old school I would have changed it.
Nice dealer, others may have suggested to change it just to make a buck!
My cars that use regular dino oil, I change them around 5000 miles. The vehicle I have that uses only Mobil 1 synthetic, it gets changed around 7-9k. I'll change the oil on my Terrain myself (gives me the pseudo feeling of actually "working" on the a modern vehicle :() when the warning comes on, hopefully around 5k.

KJ

·
Registered
93 Posts
noncon said:
My cars that used regular dino oil, I changed them around 5000 miles. The vehicle I have that uses only Mobil 1 synthetic, it gets changed around 7-9k. I'll change the oil on my Terrain myself (gives me the pseudo feeling of actually "working" on the a modern vehicle :() when the warning comes on, hopefully around 5k.

KJ

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
noncon said:
My cars that use regular dino oil, I change them around 5000 miles. The vehicle I have that uses only Mobil 1 synthetic, it gets changed around 7-9k. I'll change the oil on my Terrain myself (gives me the pseudo feeling of actually "working" on the a modern vehicle :() when the warning comes on, hopefully around 5k. [/color]

KJ
From what I've been reading, the new "oil life remaining" monitor checks how you drive the vehicle, not just the odometer reading since your last change.
It'll be interesting to see at what intervals and odometer readings everyone gets signaled to change their oil here on this forum.
;)

SnowItch said:
Second time I've been impressed by your dealer. Maybe GM is taking this "New GM" thing seriously.
We're very impressed with the service and how they are going "above and beyond" what we would have considered normal just a few years ago.
It's refreshing!

·
Registered
51 Posts
SnowItch,

Can the system tell you are using synthetic? Or do you just change the oil when it says to change it?

·
Registered
635 Posts
cremaley said:
I am changing my oil every 5,000 miles not matter what the oil life percentage shows.
I am thanking you on behalf of Shell, Mobil, Petro-Canada and Exxon et al.

·
Registered
111 Posts
gearhead said:
From what I've been reading, the new "oil life remaining" monitor checks how you drive the vehicle, not just the odometer reading since your last change.
Exactly, goes by engine revolutions.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
SnowItch said:
An oversimplification, but yes, engine revolutions are one factor. It also measures other operating conditions (temperature, idling, stops, starts) to make a reality based calculation.

Found an interesting link on oil monitoring systems that is worth a ponder. This article seems to echo what others have said, but I think its the quickest to read.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Oil-Monitoring-Systems---Friend-or-Foe?&id=1041543
Interesting read for sure, thanks SnowItch.
Notable mention and heads up to those using synthetic oils as mentioned in the link above:

So, clearly it makes a difference. And, since these systems can't tell what type of oil you're using, you'll need to adjust accordingly. The way I understand it, the GM units assume petroleum oil usage (with the exception of vehicles which specifically require synthetic lubricants - such as the Corvette). So, if you're using synthetic oil in a GM vehicle that does not specifically require it, the oil life monitor will likely "go off" much sooner than necessary[/color].

·
Registered
111 Posts
SnowItch said:
An oversimplification, but yes, engine revolutions are one factor. It also measures other operating conditions (temperature, idling, stops, starts) to make a reality based calculation.

Found an interesting link on oil monitoring systems that is worth a ponder. This article seems to echo what others have said, but I think its the quickest to read.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Oil-Monitoring-Systems---Friend-or-Foe?&id=1041543
Idling would be engine rev's no? Wanna explain how it would know if you're stopping, starting???

1 - 20 of 38 Posts