GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to do my own oil change on buddies lift.. is that the oil filter under the hood in front of motor? Anyone know?? THX!

·
Registered
63 Posts
You don't need a special socket. Any shallow 1 1/4" socket should do it. that's all I ever use. If you do it yourself make sure that you remove the filter cover and filter while you have the drain plug out. If you don't and remove the filter after you'll leave about 1/2-3/4 liters of dirty oil behind. if you don't remove the cover it creates a vaccuum and holds oil there until you remove it and then it drains into the base. I always remove the cover and filter before I remove the drainplug.

·
Registered
163 Posts
OK, I havent been under the Nox yet so I have to ask about the socket you guys mentioned. Does it have to be shallow? I have a 1 1/4" deep socket for my impact wrench. It 3" overall in length. Will this work or do I need to make another purchase? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nope, wont work. It has to be really shallow to fit under the intake runners. If it isnt it will hit them and you wont get the socket square on the oil filter cap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I went to the auto store and ask about a shallow 1 1/4" socket which they had. As I was about to pay for it they ask what I was using it for and I told them. They said I should get the special very short socket which they said was made just for that purpose. Do I? Dont I? Well I bit the bullit and spent the EXTRA $7 for the small one. I will kick myself if I find that a standard short wall socket for $5 would have done it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Interesting. I have never replaced a 'cartridge' type oil filter. Any specific/unique advice before I go taking things apart?

·
Registered
63 Posts
when you open the hood and look at the angine it will be on the front right hand side. You'll see the black cover with the 1 1/4 nut on the top. Just remember to always remove the cover and filter before you drain your oil that way you'll get the oil that is up in your filter housing and passages out when you drain it..

·
Registered
977 Posts
I bought the Leslie (I believe that is the name of the company) shallow socket that is made specifically for the Eco cap. On my Saturns with the 2.2 you can use a socket but when I tested on my Nox it wouldn't fit. I have not seen a 1 1/4 socket in any store that is shallow enough.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
RNOX said:
I bought the Leslie (I believe that is the name of the company) shallow socket that is made specifically for the Eco cap. On my Saturns with the 2.2 you can use a socket but when I tested on my Nox it wouldn't fit. I have not seen a 1 1/4 socket in any store that is shallow enough.
How big of an extension did you use? My 2.2 socket fit perfectly with a 3" extension.

·
Registered
977 Posts
bballr4567 said:
How big of an extension did you use? My 2.2 socket fit perfectly with a 3" extension.
The sockets I have seen and I have (I used on my old 2.s VUE) are too deep and hit the to the filter cap the filter cap. The socket does not go fully over the hex part of the cap and would strip it. The LEslie socket id very shallow and fits perfectly over the hex on the cap. I hace a 2.2 on my Saturn LS1 and used the Leslie socket yesterday and it was much easier. You must have found a shallow socket somewhere

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I used the lesle 2.2 tool. I dont know where you got that I used a regular socket. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts