GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
That was my thought, to do it myself. I haven't changed oil since my 1985 Monte Carlo. I used to have a pair of ramps, but they got thrown out years ago.

I was going to get 4 jackstands and my wife freaked out, saying that even mechanics can make mistakes and to have a shop do it.
My wife uses her gm dealer coupons and a full synthetic oil and filter $28.

·
Registered
2018 Terrain Denali 2.0T FWD
262 Posts
Where does she get the coupons?
I'd like to know too.
It may be a dealership specific thing. The wife and I each get cards with coupons in snail mail from the dealership. Both her Cadillac ATS and my Terrain were bought at the same place, hers used and mine new.

This dealership also does a free exterior wash after service, whether warranty or owner paid. The level of service doesn't seem to matter either as they've washed it after something as simple as a tire rotation.

I don't know if the exterior wash is also dealership specific. They did that for the previous two vehicles that we purchased from them, both late 1990s Pontiacs. So, maybe this particular dealership just goes the "extra mile" in some simple ways. I don't know. Our previous vehicles were purchased in a previous place we lived, and in the early 1980s, so that may not be an equal comparison.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Things might be different in other areas but around here Walmart is the last resort for oil changes. Whoever walks in with an application is the "tech" that does the work. One guy used an impact wrench putting in the drain plug on my son's girlfriend's car. Stretched the threaded shank and the plug was about welded in. Left 2/3s of the screws out of the underbody shield, flapping in the wind under there. I'd suggest a reputable dedicated shop for this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

I'm about due (per window sticker) for an oil change on the new-to-me 2015 GMC Terrain SLE (2.4L) w AWD.

The general consensus seems to be "change the oil early and often" to keep it running long term.
I've noticed that that unlike my previous vehicles, the owners manual doesn't seem to have a "chart" giving options of oil per temperatures. (5w20, 5w30 if temperatures were going to be X, etc).

The only mention seems to be "use indicated" and a mention of Dexos.
So should I be using semi-synthetic??
Full synthetic??
Am I changing every 3months/3000 with synth?
Longer?

My wife is insisting I take it to a shop for oil changes, due to "liability". So if THEY screw up, they pay for it.

I'm hoping to find a way to change oil that doesn't break the bank.
Once you are out of the warranty period, stop taking it to the steelership. Do NOT use any quick change places! Find yourself a trusted mechanic to do the things you are not able, or, do not want to do. I am 76 and recently began changing my own oil again. Steelerships use lube techs who don't know what they're doing...believe me. I have a 2011 Equinox with the 2.4l engine and 111k miles on it. I have purchased Mobil-1 EP full synthetic in 5-qt jugs for $28 and buy Wix oil filters at Rockauto. The last couple of times I have not been able to get the oil I wanted at Meijer or Walmart. I found it on Amazon for $26 a 5-qt jug and free shipping. I always change my oil and filter at 5k or sooner if 12 months have passed. These cars are very easy to change the oil on too. You will need to purchase a special socket for the oil filter cap though. The 2.4l engine has a lot of bad reviews but I have had on issue with mine.

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,627 Posts
I'll say a big NO to Wix filters anymore. Different corp. owners. I've gone back to using GM UPR filters.
This past winter every vehicle in my fleet had filter seeping / leaks with the Wix filters. Only way to stop the leaks was to super crank down the filter.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts