GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

oil change interval?

36K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  NODES 
When the Oil Life Monitoring System goes to 20%, I schedule the time to change the oil. Usually a week later or so.

Black Granite LTZ said:
I find it amusing how some people get so hung up on mileage and oil changes.

Quick question: can anyone tell me where the 3000 mile oil change interval came from?

Don't feel bad. No one knows. But the oil companies and instant oil chain companies love it and still tell everyone to get their oil changed every 3000 miles. It probably had some validity years ago when engines were much different and oil wasn't nearly as good as it is now but it's just a waste of money and oil today.

If it makes you feel better and you don't mind spending the extra cash then it certainly won't hurt anything but it just seems so unnecessary.

Now there are reasons to change the oil more often like trailer towing and other extreme duty uses but for the average driver following the OLM is all you need to do.
As long as you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for motor oil, following the OLM should be perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.