GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious - according to the oil life monitor, I have about 60% remaining until oil change. I have about 5000 miles on this oil. That would put me over 10k on the oil if I go by the monitor. Now all of my other GM vehicles I have gone by the monitor and have gotten between 5000-6000 miles on it. Just curious at how many miles are you all changing your oil? Thanks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
The V6 I do 6K, on the I4 I follow the OLM since its a company car, usually around 10% or so

·
Registered
978 Posts
IceMan said:
Every five thousand miles...no matter what the oil life monitor says.. ;)
+ 2!

·
Registered
60 Posts
IceMan said:
That's what I do also. Haven't had any problems with the last few cars I've owned doing that. Some well over 100K and one around 250K and still going :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
When the Oil Life Monitoring System goes to 20%, I schedule the time to change the oil. Usually a week later or so.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Valid question my dealer said to get free oil change when meter reads around 10% but the sticker on my windsheild from the original dealer where mine got the car from says 9-2-11 or 6000miles. Which is correct?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
IceMan said:
Same here, synth oil may be good for about twice that...but I doubt the filter is, and I don't like adding a new filter to used oil like some people do.

·
Registered
315 Posts
iafirebuff said:
Thanks - about how many miles do you get on the oil on the I4?
I think around 12K roughly. But it does mainly highway miles, so I'm really not concerned about it, I put roughly 5K a month on it, so typically its changed well before 3months :)

The V6 with the OLM change, its looks like it is going to be around 10-15% @ 6K miles...So I will actually be following the OLM on it now as well :) But that is the V6, they changed the calibration on it due to timing chain stretch issues (well the motor eats oil is the problem)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I find it amusing how some people get so hung up on mileage and oil changes.

Quick question: can anyone tell me where the 3000 mile oil change interval came from?

Don't feel bad. No one knows. But the oil companies and instant oil chain companies love it and still tell everyone to get their oil changed every 3000 miles. It probably had some validity years ago when engines were much different and oil wasn't nearly as good as it is now but it's just a waste of money and oil today.

If it makes you feel better and you don't mind spending the extra cash then it certainly won't hurt anything but it just seems so unnecessary.

Now there are reasons to change the oil more often like trailer towing and other extreme duty uses but for the average driver following the OLM is all you need to do.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
I find it amusing how some people get so hung up on mileage and oil changes.

Quick question: can anyone tell me where the 3000 mile oil change interval came from?

Don't feel bad. No one knows. But the oil companies and instant oil chain companies love it and still tell everyone to get their oil changed every 3000 miles. It probably had some validity years ago when engines were much different and oil wasn't nearly as good as it is now but it's just a waste of money and oil today.

If it makes you feel better and you don't mind spending the extra cash then it certainly won't hurt anything but it just seems so unnecessary.

Now there are reasons to change the oil more often like trailer towing and other extreme duty uses but for the average driver following the OLM is all you need to do.
As long as you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for motor oil, following the OLM should be perfect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the replies! I have the dealer do the changes with whatever Dexos oil they use.

·
Registered
92 Posts
wbassnp007 said:
As long as you follow the manufacturer's recommendations for motor oil, following the OLM should be perfect.
So I had 80% oil life and just short of 2000 miles on my Nox. I wanted to get the 'break-in' oil out and some new Synthetic in. In my case, the oil was already brown and very thinned out; no longer that golden color. So no matter how dark that oil gets, you are saying to drive on the same oil as long as the OLM is stating it's ok?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
raxelgun said:
Valid question my dealer said to get free oil change when meter reads around 10% but the sticker on my windsheild from the original dealer where mine got the car from says 9-2-11 or 6000miles. Which is correct?
This vehicle has a computer system that indicates when to change the engine oil and filter. This is based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and not on mileage. Based on driving conditions, the mileage at which an oil change is indicated can vary considerably. For the oil life system to work properly, the system must be reset every time the oil is changed.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it indicates that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes on. See Engine Oil Messages on page 5-26. Change the oil as soon as possible within the next 1 000 km (600 mi).

It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system might indicate that an oil change is not necessary for up to a year. The engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and, at this time, the system must be reset. Your dealer has trained service people who will perform this work and reset the system. It is also important to check the oil regularly over the course of an oil drain interval and keep it at the proper level.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, the oil must be changed at 5 000 km (3,000 mi) since the last oil change. Remember to reset the oil life system whenever the oil is changed. This information can also be found on page 10-13 of your owner’s manual. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
483 Posts
yarrumc said:
So I had 80% oil life and just short of 2000 miles on my Nox. I wanted to get the 'break-in' oil out and some new Synthetic in. In my case, the oil was already brown and very thinned out; no longer that golden color. So no matter how dark that oil gets, you are saying to drive on the same oil as long as the OLM is stating it's ok?
Basically yes. There is no "break in oil" used by the factory. It's the same Dexos approved oil the dealer will use if you change it there. As for the golden brown color, the oil darkens with use and this is normal. I know it's hard for people to trust a computer to determine when it's time for an oil change but the OLM is pretty accurate and I doubt GM or any of the other companies would have them if they weren't.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I personally will not be relying on the OLM is this motor. I do in my 5.3 vortec, but not in these DI's. Too hard on oil for me to go the length of the OLM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For me it's easier to remember if I change the oil on 5,000 or 10,000 miles intervals. For vehicles with less than 100,000 miles I use synthetic oil and change at 10K, when over 100,000 miles I use a high mileage oil and change at 5,000 intervals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts