GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Oil Change Frequency-2011 V6 Terrain

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  wrusprod 
#1 ·
I purchased my 2011 new last January. I do a lot of highway driving and I am concerned about how often I have to change the oil. I now have 30,000 miles on it and I have had to change the oil every 5000 miles using the Oil Life Monitor system on the DIC . I would think that since the Terrain requires synthetic oil one would get more miles between oil changes. I always got 7500-10000 miles using the OLM on my prior Buick Rainer which used regular oil. This an added expense I was not planning on. I would like your feedback on whether I am off base or if something needs adjusted.

Thank you,

Dan

#2 ·
Follow the OLM. the OLM in these DI V6 engines is tuned for them. The reason for the shorter OCI is because of the Direct Injection. They are more prone to fuel dilution, and are very hard on oil compared to port injected engines. Our 11' V6 equinox is the same.

#3 ·
eerforce1 said:
I would think that since the Terrain requires synthetic oil one would get more miles between oil changes. I always got 7500-10000 miles using the OLM on my prior Buick Rainer which used regular oil. This an added expense I was not planning on. I would like your feedback on whether I am off base or if something needs adjusted.

Thank you,

Dan

Well, make sure your using 100% synthetic oil and not a semi-syn blend.
My OLM has been giving me 5,900 to 6,500mi between changes and thats about 80% highway
I use Amsoil religiously. [/color]

cruzinforit said:
Follow the OLM. the OLM in these DI V6 engines is tuned for them. The reason for the shorter OCI is because of the Direct Injection. They are more prone to fuel dilution, and are very hard on oil compared to port injected engines. Our 11' V6 equinox is the same.
+1[/color]

#7 ·
eerforce1 said:
... I would think that since the Terrain requires synthetic oil one would get more miles between oil changes.

Thank you,

Dan
Onxbear

I wasn't trying to start "trouble" - it was in reference to this.

#10 ·
eerforce1 said:
I purchased my 2011 new last January. I do a lot of highway driving and I am concerned about how often I have to change the oil. I now have 30,000 miles on it and I have had to change the oil every 5000 miles using the Oil Life Monitor system on the DIC . I would think that since the Terrain requires synthetic oil one would get more miles between oil changes. I always got 7500-10000 miles using the OLM on my prior Buick Rainer which used regular oil. This an added expense I was not planning on. I would like your feedback on whether I am off base or if something needs adjusted.

Thank you,

Dan
FWIW, I can only go 5K between oil changes also. Always down to just a couple of percent left.

#11 ·
The OLM in my 2011 V-6 Terrain is always down to 0% right at 5K miles and all my driving is highway. I run Mobil-One oil. I notice the oil is pretty dirty when I change it so I figure it is due to the direct injection. I have a 93 vette and after 4K miles the oil looks like it was just changed and I use Mobil-One in it too. I just change the oil myself in both cars. I buy the 5 qt jug at Wally World and it it works out to about $5 a qt. The extra qt for the terrain will cost me about $8.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It seems 5K miles is about all we seem to get between oil changes. From what I read , it is the nature of this engine. I had expected it to be higher than that because of using the required synthetic premium oil. For some reason the notion of that bothers me. However, I do feel better knowing 5K miles is "normal".

#13 ·
I have a maintenance program I got with my 2012 V6 Terrain from the dealer. 3 yrs/45k miles ..oil,filter tire rotations, fluid top off and other goodies...

I asked them when I could come in for my first oil change, with this program..I was told 'when the oil change light comes on OR after 5k miles'.

I'm going to take it in at around 3k and pay for oil/filter change..for the first one..then Im going to see what I can get out of the oil..I was doing 7k on my 2011 Terrain and 2006 HHR both I-4 engines and at 7k still had oil life left on monitor...

I had hoped for the same with the V6....I put alot of miles on my vehicles,so I will monitor and see how it goes..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.