GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking to do my first oil change (do it myself) this weekend. At this point, I think I am going to go with Pennzoil Ultra 5/30 based on some comments among the forums. It is at my Walmart for $27. I am still torn on the filter. Walmart's selection is not much, but they do have higher end Fram filters (tough guard) for $9 and wondered if that would be sufficient? I know Pep Boys has a larger selection, so I may go there for another brand (ie. Purolator).

I realize there is couple of oil threads with different topics, but I was wondering if I could start one for myself or others that are looking for a cut and dry answer on what oil and filter has become your 'go to'? If you'd like to elaborate, please let me/us know any reason for your choice, so that first and future oil change can be done with some confidence. Thanks again for any comments.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Save a couple bucks and go with the Pennzoil Platinum. It's Dexos approved.

For filter, either the AC Delco filter or the Pure One are my choice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tsduke said:

I noticed that Pep Boys oil filter selector doesn't consider Purolator a synthetic oil filter. Does anyone have any thoughts on why that may be?

·
Registered
341 Posts
yarrumc said:
I noticed that Pep Boys oil filter selector doesn't consider Purolator a synthetic oil filter. Does anyone have any thoughts on why that may be?
Yarrumc, (off topic but) how are you establishing your "lifetime" MPG? (noticed it in your sig) - are you manually calculating or using the iPhone app?

·
Registered
371 Posts
OnStar Remote link app has it. Not sure about it's accuracy though.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TerrainLem said:
Yarrumc, (off topic but) how are you establishing your "lifetime" MPG? (noticed it in your sig) - are you manually calculating or using the iPhone app?
Give me your thoughts on oil/filter and I will let you know...haha... I am using the OnStar application on my iPhone. I am pretty sure they round up, so I'd say I am closer to 21.5. I drive mostly in town.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think the Fram Tough Guard at Wal-Mart is good, better than their other options. They may have ACDelco, but its not actually the right part number, look at the differences to the Fram. The Fram Tough Guard looks like the original oil filter, aside from being orange, and it come with a new O-ring if you want to replace it. The AC-Delco offered at parts stores is the correct GM part number and a good option. The numbers on the outside of the box are the same but its not the same part inside, different quality construction.

·
Registered
341 Posts
yarrumc said:
Give me your thoughts on oil/filter and I will let you know...haha... I am using the OnStar application on my iPhone. I am pretty sure they round up, so I'd say I am closer to 21.5. I drive mostly in town.
OKAY, either you just updated your sig today to include "OnStar[/color] Lifetime MPG" or I was just blind when I asked you that question.... :sosad:

PS - I know, :eek:fftopic:

·
Registered
193 Posts
tsduke said:

^ What he said! On the 2.4, I would suggest an AC Delco filter though, they are made by Hengst, the same company that makes the housing it sits in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TerrainLem said:
OKAY, either you just updated your sig today to include "OnStar[/color] Lifetime MPG" or I was just blind when I asked you that question.... :sosad:

PS - I know, :eek:fftopic:
haha.. no, that has been my sig since day one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dishdude said:
^ What he said! On the 2.4, I would suggest an AC Delco filter though, they are made by Hengst, the same company that makes the housing it sits in.
Well, at the moment, I have picked up 5qt jug of PP for $25 ($30 at PB and $31 at AZ) from WM and a Purolator Pure One. I may pick up an air filter, so I could always exchange the oil filter to get an AC Delco. Does it fit better than the others or is this just matter of preference?

·
Registered
193 Posts
yarrumc said:
Well, at the moment, I have picked up 5qt jug of PP for $25 ($30 at PB and $31 at AZ) from WM and a Purolator Pure One. I may pick up an air filter, so I could always exchange the oil filter to get an AC Delco. Does it fit better than the others or is this just matter of preference?
Preference and fit. If you already have the Pure One, I'd just use it. The little rubber o-ring on the bottom of the AC seems to fit a little snugger into the housing than some of the other ones. This o-ring acts as the anti-drainback valve.

·
Registered
246 Posts
dishdude said:
Preference and fit. If you already have the Pure One, I'd just use it. The little rubber o-ring on the bottom of the AC seems to fit a little snugger into the housing than some of the other ones. This o-ring acts as the anti-drainback valve.
Thats one of the things I noticed on the three options at Wal-Mart, the Super tech and AC-Delco looked super cheap and the O-ring looked smaller and not of great quality compared to the Fram Tough Guard. The Fram Tough Guard is just like the original equipment construction from Hengst that I pulled out from the factory. Aside from the Hengst has squigly spokes that hold that O-ring post in place, vice straight spokes on the Fram.

·
Registered
321 Posts
yarrumc said:
Hi all,

I am looking to do my first oil change (do it myself) this weekend. At this point, I think I am going to go with Pennzoil Ultra 5/30 based on some comments among the forums. It is at my Walmart for $27. I am still torn on the filter. Walmart's selection is not much, but they do have higher end Fram filters (tough guard) for $9 and wondered if that would be sufficient? I know Pep Boys has a larger selection, so I may go there for another brand (ie. Purolator).

I realize there is couple of oil threads with different topics, but I was wondering if I could start one for myself or others that are looking for a cut and dry answer on what oil and filter has become your 'go to'? If you'd like to elaborate, please let me/us know any reason for your choice, so that first and future oil change can be done with some confidence. Thanks again for any comments.
I just changed out Penzoil Ultra using ac/delco filter. The oil was filthy black after only a few thousand miles. The filter was in good shape. I switched to Mobil Extended Performance, Dexos label on jug. Still going with ac/delco. My secondary choices for oil and filters would be Castrol Full Synthetic or a Wix filter. I currently have Castrol Full Synthetic with Titanium (New formula) in my other car. Like it too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My $.02 on choice is Castrol either full syn or the new w/titanium I have used the Castrol for the past 20 or better yrs in my motorcycles and trucks and have always been satisfied with the performance. As for filters I have been using the tough guard Fram from Wallyworld.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Although I have already completed my oil change, I am always curious what others have used and like. There will always be the next change ;-).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why not use a GM / Delco filter & their oil as well? The engine was designed & validated using these and the prices are great. <$5/qt for a semi-synthetic oil is a deal & the filter is another $5.

Splurge another $5 on one of these:
*picture of Penzoil p/n 19901 goes here, but site doesn't allow links??*

Although its not listed among the compatible filters on the back, size 'B' is a perfect fit for the OE AC Delco PF-48 filter.

Cheers!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, technically, these engines were developed and OLM and EPA tested on conventional motor oil. Then switched to synthtic in 2011, so how much testing was done with synthetic remains to be seen.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Buy 4 Pure One filters from Amazon, I think Purolator still has the rebate on them. It works out to about $1.50 per filter.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts