GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's the report. But i shouldn't worry yet.

*Follow up email*
Armin,

Thanks for the email. The fuel likely diluted the oil a little. This is
more in the 5W/20 range than the 5W/30. That lower viscosity shouldn't hurt
anything, but the fuel is still something to monitor. Let me know if you
have any other questions and have a great day.

·
Registered
139 Posts
hmmmm makes me want to send mine in too just to be safe. What was the price to send it in?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to their site and fill out the request form. They'll sent you the container and instructions for free. Once you mail it back and select your payment method, they'll charge you. I think it was $22 or $25 dollars.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I just changed my oil today and got a sample ready to send them. I was gonna use it for my truck but decided I really wanna know how the Nox oil is. I can get a new sample kit for my truck.

Was that factory fill oil then?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just requested the sample kit, im kinda curious on whats in my oil if anything.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Except for the fuel in the oil, that report looks good.
The factory fill is high in the good stuff their using these days (calcium, zinc).
The break in metals should drop a bunch the next time and again after the third oil change.

You've got proof if you push the dealer to fix it.

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
nox-rocks said:
So why would there be fuel in the oil?
Most likely cause is the HPFP is leaking. A problem with some Theta Platform cars with Direct Injection. Do a search for more info.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Amsoil also sells an oil analysis kit for $26 including postage. The lab, Oil Analyzers, is in Indiana. I think if you suspect there is an over abundance of gas in your oil, get a kit and send it in. Good piece of mind. You'll know one way or another. Can't wait to get mine back. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

·
Registered
371 Posts
dwendt44 said:
Except for the fuel in the oil, that report looks good.
The factory fill is high in the good stuff their using these days (calcium, zinc).
The break in metals should drop a bunch the next time and again after the third oil change.

You've got proof if you push the dealer to fix it.
Where do you get this info? From what I've been told the factory fill in 2011 is nothing more than the AC Delco Syn Blend(Dexos1)

·
Registered
715 Posts
RIT333 said:
Most likely cause is the HPFP is leaking. A problem with some Theta Platform cars with Direct Injection. Do a search for more info.
The problem seems to show up mostly in the I4 engine.
Raw fuel washes down past the rings into the oil. The culprit seems to be the fuel pump as that's what the 'fix' they are using to correct.
Overpowering the injectors??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a follow up email I got today

Armin,

Thanks for the email. The fuel likely diluted the oil a little. This is
more in the 5W/20 range than the 5W/30. That lower viscosity shouldn't hurt
anything, but the fuel is still something to monitor. Let me know if you
have any other questions and have a great day.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
4.3% is quite a bit for the mileage you have on the engine. What is the driving you do? What was left on the OLM?

Im thinking of sending off a kit when we change the oil next in the fall.

Have you forwarded this to GM Powertrain?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bballr4567 said:
4.3% is quite a bit for the mileage you have on the engine. What is the driving you do? What was left on the OLM?

Im thinking of sending off a kit when we change the oil next in the fall.

Have you forwarded this to GM Powertrain?
My wife drives it, very nicely I might add. She does about 65% highway and 35% city. OLM still had 86% remaining on it. Only 2130Km on the engine and oil.

What do you mean GM Powertrain?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
GM Powertrain department. They are responsible for the engines and transmissions. Might be difficult to find an actual email address for someone but this needs to get to the guys that engineered the engine.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sent off for a UOA when I changed my oil last week. I don't like the fuel or viscosity readings at all. It fell well out of 5w-30 viscosity.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So your oil is basically in the 5W20 range like mine was. Hmmmmm looks like yours held up better seeing that you got almost double the mileage on it

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
GARYD said:
Amsoil also sells an oil analysis kit for $26 including postage. The lab, Oil Analyzers, is in Indiana. I think if you suspect there is an over abundance of gas in your oil, get a kit and send it in. Good piece of mind. You'll know one way or another. Can't wait to get mine back. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Hey GARYD, get your results back yet?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts