GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would possess GM to design and include the "Oh Sh!t" handles on all three corners above the windows for each passenger but not one for the driver ???

Man, it's all the little, very simple things like this that GM has still got some catching up to do. They've done well with the Equinox, but there are still a few things.

Question? does someone at GM ever read these message boards or send out a customer survey to every owner entitled "what can we do to make this vehicle better for the next model year", and actually implement them.

I just ordered my nox today and there are a few things I picked off right away that GM could have done to make the vehicle better.

1. Put the **** fuel door on the driver side....this isn't Europe (for those of you from Europe you'll know the purpose of the fuel door on the passenger side)...but this isn't Europe!
2. Push/spring release fuel door....make it remote release from inside...yeh I know it's unlikely someones going to put sugar, or dirt in your gas tank but it's just one of those piece of mind things.
3. Put an anti-glare coating on the platic cover on the tach and speedo....when the sun comes in from the side in the mid afternoon/early evening you can barely see through the clear plastic.
4. On the plastic trim on the pillar behind your left shoulder where the seat belt is, change the mould to include a little indent in the plastic...a place where you can simply hook your finger underneath the belt and easily pull it forward.

Anyone else care to list anything that just "irks" you....I want a heads up on what to look out for. Don't bother listing major things like I want to see a turbo or make the 6 cyl a 3.6 litre....just simple little things that would barely, if at all change the over all cost of the vehicle.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It's a fact that a chicken bar would have been nice even for the driver. But i think they consider that the driver must have his both hands on the steering wheel :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The taper of the plastic door trim where it meets the window doesn't give you enough of a ledge to rest your are up on while driving. The second resting spot for your arm on most other vehicles is hangging with a light grip on the handle, the nox has neither.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Jeeze...
Looks like you pretty much picked it apart....
We just took our first 400 mile road trip..with only 140 miles on the clock Saturday...and thought.."Wow,what a comfortable CUV. Didn't notice any major or even trivial annoyances. Smooth quiet ride...comfy seats...great sounding stereo...more than adequate AC....peppy performance..and many other nice features. We are so pleased...and I'm anxious to drive the wife's new Equinox again. What a great ride..IMHO.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
1. Almost all new GMs have it on the passenger side. Its so you wont ding your door on the fuel pump guards.

2. I HATE my fuel door opening. Its like you are suggesting and it works maybe 1 in 4 times. It always sounds like its opens but it wont release. To get it fixed, its about a $200 part. Ill stick with the spring. lol

3. Put the anti-glare on it yourself! Seriously, a lot of new cars come with their concave covers have this problem. You can get the front windows tinted to help out some. :(

4. I dont get this complaint at all. Are you talking about ease of raising and lowering the belt up on the b-pillar?

5. The oh crap handles arent for hard driving at all. They are to assist the passengers into getting in and out of the vehicle. GM feels, at least I think, that if the driver needs help getting in and out, they might not be needing to drive.

Apparently GM must be doing something right because you just bought a fully loaded LTZ! lol

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
1. I agree, but have gotten used to it so it's no big deal now....and actually works in my favor at my favorite gas station.

2. This design decision I like...if you ever had a remote release fail (out of warranty) and had to use a key to pry open the door you'd know why. The simple spring mechanism will likely las the life of the vehicle....and no fuel door (locking or otherwise) is really going to stop someone who is determined to syphon your gas.

3. never really noticed this as a problem

4. I don't believe I've ever touched what you're talking about...is it really something you adjust regularly?

As far as the grab handles go, the Nox/Terrain really don't sit high enough for that to be useful (for me at least) but I would like to see a vertical grab bar on the door...my eldery dad isn't very flexible anymore and it's hard for him to reach out to a fully open door (and find the small handhold thing in the armrest) when he's already seated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the trim on the pillar I don't mean the height adjustability of where the belt comes out. What I mean is that the actual belt sits vertically flat along the plastic trim and it sometimes take a swipe or two at it to lift the belt off the plastic and get a good grip to pull it forward over your shoulder.

I know it's a very simple petty thing...but why didn't the engineers just simply mould the plastic with a small indent so you can easily hook your finger under the belt to lift off the plastic to get a better grip. Maybe I'm just being too picky, but like I said it's all the little things that just add up and I wish GM would actually survey all their customer and take their recommendations for improvements seriously and implement them.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I just grab the actual buckle with my right hand and then plug it in. I see what you are talking about but its a non-issue really.

FWIW, they DO read the forums to improve the vehicles. One of the biggest was the change in the 09 and 10 door panels on the Malibu. The door pocket didnt have that much room between the seat to adjust the seats easily. In the '10 models they not only changed that but also moved the mirror adjustments down to where the window adjustments are. Just like our theta vehicles.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
NoobNox said:
1. I agree, but have gotten used to it so it's no big deal now....and actually works in my favor at my favorite gas station.

2. This design decision I like...if you ever had a remote release fail (out of warranty) and had to use a key to pry open the door you'd know why. The simple spring mechanism will likely las the life of the vehicle....and no fuel door (locking or otherwise) is really going to stop someone who is determined to syphon your gas.

3. never really noticed this as a problem

4. I don't believe I've ever touched what you're talking about...is it really something you adjust regularly?

As far as the grab handles go, the Nox/Terrain really don't sit high enough for that to be useful (for me at least) but I would like to see a vertical grab bar on the door...my eldery dad isn't very flexible anymore and it's hard for him to reach out to a fully open door (and find the small handhold thing in the armrest) when he's already seated.
Some gas stations around this area only have vehicles entering only one way so you pick what side of the island suits your vehicle and your not in anyone elses way

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am glad there is no grab handle on drivers side. That is where I bump my head all the time in vehicles so equipped.

Signed ...unusually tall upper body so I am against ceiling and short legs so I can barely reach pedals. :mad:
Ps..also can't see gauges properly because wheel will not go high enough and air vents are too low for me, and head rest is against my upper back when fully extended! :-\

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Not a whole lot, but since you said minor, I'll list a few.
1. Center console a couple more inches forward so the majority of my arm can rest on it.
2. Vents with a little more adjustability(for me the wheel blocks 90% of the flow)
3. The "Time" display a little bigger
4. Stronger springs/deeper detents on front doors to help them stay open better. They tend to swing back if you don't hold it open until it catches in the shallow detent. Strong wind can push door close. This is my worst pet peeve for the Terrain.
5. And of course my ongoing complaint about the remote start fob.
None earth shattering.

My #1 pet peeve on all vehicles...my Harley and all the cars (with digital screens) I've ever owned.
A display that you can see while wearing perscription sunglasses (maybe even regular sunglasses). I have not found a car yet that I can read with my sunglasses on.

I believe the mfg's don't want to read suggestions because they don't want to be sued later from someone saying he gave them that idea. That's happened in the past. That's why singers or book writters return unsolisited material.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am much happier with the fuel door on the passanger side, I almost never have to wait for a pump at the gas station anymore.
There are always 1-2 more cars waiting on the right lane then there are for the left lane.

I have also never had a problem grabbing the seatbelt buckle.

A small peeve for me:
I would like it if the steeting wheel could be adjusted up further, at it's highest setting I can't see the tops of my gauges.

My most major complaint:
I'd like it if the stereo could remember the playmode last being used when playing music from a thumbdrive in the USB port, instead of defaulting back to the 'all songs' list everytime the vehicle is re-started. It's good that it remembers what song I was on but if I had selected an album to listen to, finish the album when I return to the vehicle, don't make me go find it again and select the song I am on just to finish the album.
&
I'd like the Stereo to include the XM 'tune select' feature that my portable delphi unit has.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
Here's my list :

The horn is hard to beep. It requires a forceful push. I was told it was because of the air bag. Duh - all of my recent cars have had a steering wheel airbag and the horn could be sounded with a gentle push.

The antenna is too long. What was wrong with windshield antennas?

Should be able to control the computer function (i.e trip meter, gas mileage, etc. from the steering wheel.

Should be able to turn on the stereo from the steering wheel. (I guess I am asking for too many buttons on the steering wheel !)

Roof rack rails should extend further towards the front - make it wasier to carry a canoe.

Power window switches should be back further. Hard to control front windows.

Otherwise - VERY well executed.

·
Registered
698 Posts
All of these points are non-issues for me. Sounds to me like you may be a former import driver...

The only vehicle I've had with a driver's assist handle was my F-150 and it was very useful - but only to hoist oneself up into the cab, not for everyday driving. I've never owned a vehicle with a locking gas door either. Never owned an import, and I know that's a feature most imports have.

I do think the gas door assembly is a bit flimsy though but I don't care that it's on the passenger side.

I would have liked to see turn signals integrated into the outside mirrors, and a heating element for the front wiper. The rear wiper has one...

·
Registered
91 Posts
GARYD said:
1. Center console a couple more inches forward so the majority of my arm can rest on it.
This is a good one - my wife has an '09 Traverse with the adjustable center console armrest and very time I drive it I wonder why the Equinox isn't the same way - plus the way it opens is a pain in the neck.

As for the OhSh!t handles, I don't remember ever owning a car that had one on the driver's side - I always figured the driver's the one who's got something to hold on to already.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Terrain said:
All of these points are non-issues for me. Sounds to me like you may be a former import driver...
Never owned an import, and I know that's a feature most imports have..
Terrain is an import.(Canadian built).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Minor Grips:

1. Reflection off from silver trim piece around shifter can be distracting .... perfect storm of sunlight through the sunroof bouncing off the trim and into your right eye. Maybe a brushed metal trim would work better. Doesn't happen much, but when it does...

2. Gauges do wash out in some lighting conditions, except for the digital speedo (one of my fav's on this rig)

3. lack of a HUD option like the Acadia...

4. "ALWAYS HOT PLUG" outlet under the HVAC stack and inside console for charging stuff ... what gives GM?

5. Headlight washers as part of SLT trim level

6. Ignition switch too low ... keys on your fob dangle on your knee and can get caught between trim and knee. Can the ignition switch be placed on the dash, left of the HVAC, below the vent similar to the last gen Grand Am's?

7. Hand E-Brake

8. Ram-air induction

9. more sound deadening in the driver door ... sounds tinny when you shut it hard...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Roesterman said:
Terrain is an import.(Canadian built).
And I'm a Canadian.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts