GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just sick. My new black Nox has its 1st scratch. Not major, not in a noticeable place, but it's killing me all the same. I adjusted my power liftgate to 3/4 so it fits under my opened garage door. Unfortunately, I timed poorly how quickly the garage door would come down when I walked in the house after clicking both the liftgate button and the garage door button. The door came down faster than the liftgate. The rubber gasket at the bottom of the door did not prevent scratches on my liftgate just below the license plate. The garage door retracted upward after the collision but the damage was done. Minor damage but there is no scratch as bad as the first one. Maybe my dealer can fix it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know the feeling. I backed into a low stump next to my driveway that was evidently below the eight inch level that the ultrasonic park assist can detect. It crumpled the black polypropylene lower extension of the right rear quarter panel. It also disconnected the lower extension from the wheel well liner. I was so devastated by what I had done to my Nox that it was no longer fun to drive. Weeks later I found that it had somehow been repaired. My son finally explained that he had just popped the plastic part back into shape. My local parts department gave me the fasteners to reconnect the two parts. As far as I am concerned, I have a brand new car with 7,000 miles on it.

I am very careful about where I park. Yesterday I moved the car further away from the market where my wife was shopping because the lot was filling up with old beaters driven by what appeared to me to be zombies headed for the beer cooler. I know the first scratch will come but I am doing everything I can to postpone it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
jer said:
I'm just sick. My new black Nox has its 1st scratch. Not major, not in a noticeable place, but it's killing me all the same. I adjusted my power liftgate to 3/4 so it fits under my opened garage door. Unfortunately, I timed poorly how quickly the garage door would come down when I walked in the house after clicking both the liftgate button and the garage door button. The door came down faster than the liftgate. The rubber gasket at the bottom of the door did not prevent scratches on my liftgate just below the license plate. The garage door retracted upward after the collision but the damage was done. Minor damage but there is no scratch as bad as the first one. Maybe my dealer can fix it.
You could try some rubbing compound to remove this....It usually does decent on fine scratches, it all depends on the dmg done. And the stuff wal-mart sells is not worth getting (even though its 3m rubbing compound)...You want the HD Rubbing compound, its the only thing I've ever used that actually worked (around 30 a bottle). Most detail shops will have it, or your dealer in detail should have something like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our 1st scratch wasn't just a scratch, but also a windshield ding. My wife was driving behind a truck, and past someone cutting grass. A rock hit the hood, and the windshield. Don't know if it was the truck or the lawn mower. It only had about 500 miles on it at the time, and about 300 of that came from it being driven from the dealer in Daytona to where we bought it in Albany Ga.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Grometsc, is "HD" a brand name or does it stand for High Density or something? Thanks for the tip; I'll look for it.

Krob, don't wait to let a auto glass guy fix that ding. If you wait, driving turns that ding into a slowly lengthening crack. I was told that the ding lets air get in between the 2 glass plates. Diving causes the air to compress and expand like a mini-hammer between the glass plates until the outer one starts cracking.

Rogue, I think you got away cheap in your deal - that could have been a lot worse for you and your Nox. Better put a bike flag on that stump! ;D

·
Registered
315 Posts
jer said:
Grometsc, is "HD" a brand name or does it stand for High Density or something? Thanks for the tip; I'll look for it.

Krob, don't wait to let a auto glass guy fix that ding. If you wait, driving turns that ding into a slowly lengthening crack. I was told that the ding lets air get in between the 2 glass plates. Diving causes the air to compress and expand like a mini-hammer between the glass plates until the outer one starts cracking.

Rogue, I think you got away cheap in your deal - that could have been a lot worse for you and your Nox. Better put a bike flag on that stump! ;D
http://www.shop3m.com/60410009595.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=60440096232

Name changed to Finesse-it II....3m has numerous names that cross the boards, but this is the stuff I used (my brother is a parts manager..had to ask him what it as....I though HD Rubbing Compound)....

Only thing I've ever used that worked in removing fine scratches in the paint with easy...This includes 100.00 products from Zaino

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grometsc, thanks for the very specific name and link. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SnowItch, thanks for the alternate links and comments. This is good info!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Screw touching it up............time to get a new one! ;D
Shorter delivery times too. ;D ;D

·
Registered
315 Posts
SnowItch said:
The zaino product that is equivalent is only 16.95 (not sure were the 100.00 from Zaino came from). I haven't used the 3M product, but the Zaino product worked very well for me.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-5&Category_Code=Zaino&Product_Count=9

Here is an excellent chart from autogeek.net listing products from several different companies that fall in the same category as the 3M product.

http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-cut-chart-master.htm

If you place your mouse on any of the products listed it will take you to the details for the product (autogeek offers the 3M product for 9.99 - far cheaper than the other link posted).

If you decide to order from autogeek.net (I have had very good luck ordering from them), make sure you check out their free samples.

Not really the same products FYI.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
First scratch is the worst. Luckily, our Enclave, which will be 2 years old in July, still has yet to get any scratches on the paint. However, we have a few on the inside plastic in the cargo area, kind of hard to avoid. Totally know what you mean, and to Rogue LTZ, your post about looking at what type of vehicles are in the lot is exactly what I do, my wife thinks I'm a little too protective, but it helps to scope out the right parking spot. I also like to be able to view the vehicle if I'm able to, like at a restaurant, so I can keep an eye on it. Try and get an end spot by a curb, so I can get as close to the curb, with out touching it, and leave a bunch of room on the other side.

·
Registered
315 Posts
SnowItch said:
Are you talking about the Zaino, or all of the products listed on the chart?

I'm well aware that the Zaino product is different from the 3M product (and most importantly, I wanted to show your $100 Zaino comment was BS), that is why I provided a link so that jer can make an educated decision rather than taking our word for it. After reading about all of the products on the web site, jer will be able to decide what product will best take care of the scratch he has. There is a huge difference between a polish and a abrasive compound, and depending on the depth of the scratch, jer will be able to make a educated decision after reading all of the information.

Personally, I'd start with the less abrasive products and move to the more abrasive products if needed. Reading comments from most professional detailers (and the companies that make the products), they recommend the same thing.
Zaino is a process...Its not 1 product. So when you add the process into play it does run near 100.00.....

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-1

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As SnowItch has commented, I value all the posts of you helpful, knowledgeable persons and did become aware of the differences between the products in the multiple posts. Grometsc, not knowing that I would realize the difference, was also helpful in further clarifying. Thanks to both of you. What you made me realize in your posts was that I, being of limited skills, would likely be better off letting my dealer look at the scratches. After all, I did purchase some kind of an exterior protection warranty so it might even be covered. Wouldn't that be nice?

IOW, GaryD's advice to screw the touchup and get a new Nox is probably a lot closer to my truth! If I try to fix it myself, Chevy might end up having to replace the entire lift gate! ;D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
SnowItch, very good point. I have a body repair place that I should have bought shares in because of my 2 sons accident records. LOL
That's an excellent idea if you are on a first name basis with the shop owner.....you probably will get a great deal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, excellent second thought, SnowItch. I'll find out about the dealer detail capabilities before I let them touch it. Thanks!

·
Administrator
601 Posts
Can you post a pic of your scratch? You'll be surprised what you can take out with an abrasive scratch and swirl remover, especially with a porter cable. Even if you don't have one, any reputable detailer should be able to repair most minor scratches.

Here's what I was able to do in about 20 minutes the very first time I used my porter cable and Zaino Z-PC swirl and scratch remover (which is about the mildest abrasive compound you can buy). The pictures don't really capture the amount of damage that was visible, it was a pretty nasty scrape nearly the size of a football.

My wife's 2005 Altima. Her assigned parking space was right next to a retaining wall at work, which she scraped on several occasions, left her with this very nasty gash in her driver's front quarter panel:

And here's what I accomplished using Zaino Z-PC and my porter cable the very first time I fired it up:

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Wow - I'm impressed. Hope you live close to Schdy NY = you can have all of my (I mean my wife's) business.

Great job. How about a description of the process you used ?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to the Chevy dealer today. After much grunting over the tiny print of my Perma Plate Appearance Protection Paintguard Warranty, it was decided that my garage door scratch on the lift gate isn't covered. :eek: Shocking! So I took it around to their body shop to see whether they have the ability to fix it. Their expert said the scratches were too deep to buff out and it would require paint fixing. So I left and will next seek out a good detailer per SnowItch's suggestion.

Admin, yes, I will take a photo tomorrow in the light and post it here. Really impressed with your photos and what you accomplished!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a photo. Wow, my problem seems small compared to scraping a concrete wall. The taller scratches on the left side of the box are the deeper ones. I hope to check with a detailer in the next few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oops. Photo too tiny. I'll re-do in a few minutes.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts