GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we went to the beach today and I was playing with my nephew and my car keys most likely in the sand. CAA had to tow my vehicle home. I do have another key but need to get another one made... I have heard that this is very expensive, does anyone know how much? Any other alternatives other then the dealership?

What a bummer to a great day. :mad:

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Nine Lives said:
So we went to the beach today and I was playing with my nephew and my car keys most likely in the sand. CAA had to tow my vehicle home. I do have another key but need to get another one made... I have heard that this is very expensive, does anyone know how much? Any other alternatives other then the dealership?

What a bummer to a great day. :mad:
I think I read about $100 for a key.
Has to be programmed at dealer i believe.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just had an extra key made. The part number is 13500221 for the Equinox with remote start. The cost is $53.16 plus tax. Just give the dealer the VIN because they come precut. Dealer must program it. Only took 2 days to get the key in.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
If you don't have remote start the replacement is about $35. My wife managed to lose a set the first month we had ours..

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think you have to go through a dealer because they come precut. For that you need the VIN. The dealer is protective of that. Otherwise anyone could order a key. Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We ordered an extra key from the dealer. Price was $51.95 including sales tax. The dealer had to send it out to be laser cut which took the longest to find someone who could cut it. They had the code on file as we purchased it from the same dealer. Not to sure if the VIN comes into play as it came into the dealer without being cut.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ordered mine Tuesday and they put in the VIN. Key came in Thursday already cut. Just needed to be programed.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Check on ebay, got 2 brand new uncut keys for 40$

·
Registered
446 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
Check on ebay, got 2 brand new uncut keys for 40$
Then another $40 to cut them? ;)

Just make sure you have all keys available when they program. If I recall, they have to program them all at once, old ones and new ones at the same time.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not so according to my dealer. The tech said you can add a key/remote. However, if you lost a key, it might be a good idea to reprogram all the new ones.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Narg said:
Then another $40 to cut them? ;)

Just make sure you have all keys available when they program. If I recall, they have to program them all at once, old ones and new ones at the same time.
15$ to cut them...

But even with that it's lower than the 85$ the stealership ask...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone!!! ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts