GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Terrain SLT AWD with the 2.0 engine that came without the tow package. I am planning on ordering and installing the OEM hitch kit (part #84842448). According to GMC documentation, the maximum towing capacity of a 2.0L terrain with the factory installed tow package is 3500lbs. Does anyone have an idea as to what I can safely tow being that I do not have the larger transmission intercooler or tow mode? I have seen some people mention 1500lbs but I am thinking that is for the 1.5L, not the 2.0L.

Also, it appears that my bumper is already cut and there are some screws in the back that hold the cutout in place. Will this fit over the hitch once installed or do I will I also need to order the bezel (part #84300513) for the hitch to stick through.

Thank you

·
Registered
681 Posts
Factory tow package has HD engine cooling along with trans. cooling for the 3500 rating. Without HD cooling it's 1500 lbs and those are maximum ratings and one should not tow at the max weight. Load should be at least 20% below it.
It's one thing to tow a big heavy load to the local dump vs a road trip with a camper.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You used to need to buy the bezel to complete the installation but I see now on GM Parts Direct website that it is only for bumpers with a hidden exhaust so I don't think that will be necessary. I also don't see that part anywhere on GMC's official accessories page or on my dealers accessory page only the hitch. The cover will no longer be used once the trailer hitch is installed. Also be aware to install the hitch you will be removing the entire rear bumper as the factory hitch installs behind the bumper not below it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Factory tow package has HD engine cooling along with trans. cooling for the 3500 rating. Without HD cooling it's 1500 lbs and those are maximum ratings and one should not tow at the max weight. Load should be at least 20% below it.
It's one thing to tow a big heavy load to the local dump vs a road trip with a camper.
Where did you get this idea from? The car should have no problem towing max weight. It’s probably fine towing more than max weight. The engineers pad their numbers for a margin of safety in design and performance. The same cars over seas are rated to tow even more.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Where did you get this idea from? The car should have no problem towing max weight. It’s probably fine towing more than max weight. The engineers pad their numbers for a margin of safety in design and performance. The same cars over seas are rated to tow even more.
The GM Accessories for the tow package even states that it is only for 1500 lb max weight. To be able to tow up to the 3500 lb rating you would need to have gotten the trailering package direct from factory.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Max weight, who scales their car when going camping ? Vehicle has a gross including the trailer.
Overseas have no liability laws so anything goes, you've seen pictures of stairs with no railings all over.
I've short trip over weight towed, it' ain't pretty.
If your want your vehicle to last then lighten up the load. These vehicles are cars, not trucks. Yeah it can pull more than it's rated, they will pull until trans. fluid is so hot it's burping out the vent, but lets talk about stopping, whole different ball game when it's jump on the binders time running heavy.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
219 Posts
Also, it appears that my bumper is already cut and there are some screws in the back that hold the cutout in place. Will this fit over the hitch once installed or do I will I also need to order the bezel (part #84300513) for the hitch to stick through.
On the 18 and up Terrain some of the bumpers are already pre prepared for the towing receiver. Once you install the receiver that cover should mount over top to clean up the area, of course the tow ball is not there. The cover has a square port that is molded to fit the square tube. I cannot speak to the towing capacity as this is my wifes car and it came with this package from the factory, we did not seek it out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also ordered the 84300513 trim bezel when I purchased the hit kit you stated above. I did have the dealership install it, I didn't feel like spending the day trying to figure out how to pull off the rear bumper.

The only problem I have now is needing a 7 pin plugin for one trailer i use. I need to see if there is an optional wiring kit to do a plug and play.

·
Registered
153 Posts
You used to need to buy the bezel to complete the installation but I see now on GM Parts Direct website that it is only for bumpers with a hidden exhaust so I don't think that will be necessary. I also don't see that part anywhere on GMC's official accessories page or on my dealers accessory page only the hitch. The cover will no longer be used once the trailer hitch is installed. Also be aware to install the hitch you will be removing the entire rear bumper as the factory hitch installs behind the bumper not below it.
I had the OEM hitch installed by the dealer and while true the entire rear bumper cover does need to be removed the cover fits perfectly in place hiding the hitch unless you have a ball in it. As far as towing weight it didn't matter to me as I just wanted it for my bike rack or a small trailer to pick up home depot stuff in

·
Registered
681 Posts
I also ordered the 84300513 trim bezel when I purchased the hit kit you stated above. I did have the dealership install it, I didn't feel like spending the day trying to figure out how to pull off the rear bumper.

The only problem I have now is needing a 7 pin plugin for one trailer i use. I need to see if there is an optional wiring kit to do a plug and play.
They sell 4 pin to 7 adapters if all you need to do is power brake/running lights.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had the OEM hitch installed by the dealer and while true the entire rear bumper cover does need to be removed the cover fits perfectly in place hiding the hitch unless you have a ball in it. As far as towing weight it didn't matter to me as I just wanted it for my bike rack or a small trailer to pick up home depot stuff in
That is good to know with the cover. I have been considering ordering it and having my dealership do the install for the same purpose of use for a bike rack. I had just made the comment that the hitch installs behind the bumper to the OP for installation.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would do the OEM receiver. Friend has a DrawTite on his Terrain and it's ugly, hangs below bumper and is a ground scraper.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is good to know with the cover. I have been considering ordering it and having my dealership do the install for the same purpose of use for a bike rack. I had just made the comment that the hitch installs behind the bumper to the OP for installation.
The dealer did a good job I have to say....and because there was a "misunderstanding" according to the dealer ( lol ) I was able to get $1000,00 in free accessories so why not ! I would have been more pissed if I needed the OEM with better trans and cooling but for bikes....I even got the brand new thule bike rack too !

·
Registered
10,157 Posts
Sorry, you would think that they could at least match the front bumper with the back !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts