GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you with the equinox oem bug shield. Does it have rubber protectors that go between the shield and
hood?.Does it mount with brackets and does it a lot of space between the shield and hood? I called a local dealer and they opened one up and told me it has mounting brackets,but did not give me any other information. would you recommend the oem shield?

Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
This does not answer any of your questions but have you looked into the invisible bug shields? They are a clear film that you put on the front of the hood to protect your paint and protect from bugs. I know its not much help but just offering some alternate ideas.

G

·
The advantage of the bug shield as opposed to the clear stuff is that it will deflect rocks and debre that would otherwise put a big dent or chip on the very front of the hood. Everything above the defector is at a low enough angle that a small rock might not do damage...maybe just a small scratch or simply bounce off. Below the deflector is all plastic which even if it did scrape paint off it could be touched up but at least won't rust like on the hood once the paint barrier is broken.

Unless, I'm wrong, and that clear film can actually resist a rock coming straight on at 120km/hour ??? Thoughts anyone who has used it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have the 3M clear shield on the front of my motorhome. Been on there since 2005 when it was new and I have a couple of small nic's in the plastic shield, but no chips in the actual paint @ 30k miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mmarges said:
The advantage of the bug shield as opposed to the clear stuff is that it will deflect rocks and debre that would otherwise put a big dent or chip on the very front of the hood. Everything above the defector is at a low enough angle that a small rock might not do damage...maybe just a small scratch or simply bounce off. Below the deflector is all plastic which even if it did scrape paint off it could be touched up but at least won't rust like on the hood once the paint barrier is broken.

Unless, I'm wrong, and that clear film can actually resist a rock coming straight on at 120km/hour ??? Thoughts anyone who has used it.
Thank you for this one. Actually i am a bit confused when it comes to bug shield and the clear stuff. But for the clear film, I have idea about that for a 120km/hr.

·
Registered
137 Posts
nox11 said:
For those of you with the equinox oem bug shield. Does it have rubber protectors that go between the shield and
hood?.Does it mount with brackets and does it a lot of space between the shield and hood? I called a local dealer and they opened one up and told me it has mounting brackets,but did not give me any other information. would you recommend the oem shield?

Any information would be appreciated.
I have the GM bug shield. YES the kit does come with the little rubber bumpers that you apply to the backside to the shield itself. These bumpers will rest on the hood to prevent the shield from folding over. The mounting brackets are for the two sides/ends. It may take you about a half hour to install. Good Luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is there any drilling required for mounting the GM bug shield? Or do they clip on somehow?

·
Registered
137 Posts
No not that I recall. But it has been 9 months since I installed mine. I remember thinking it wasn't difficult at all to do. ;)

G

·
The instructions in the box are useless. They give you an idea of how everything goes but unless you're somehwat mechanical you might be scratching your head for a bit. I put mine on in about 20min. Perhaps I'll take some close up clear photos of each point where there's a screw or bracket so people have a heads up idea of what to expect. I'll try and post back tomorrow with some pics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I put the OEM ones on my Nox. Like the previous writer., the instructions were pretty vague but after a bit it was fairly easy. Just I picked the coldest dat to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does the brackets make any contact with the paint,do you think the brackets offer better strength and protection,as apposed to a shield with no brackets,is easy to remove and put back on for waxing?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Doogr said:
I put the OEM ones on my Nox. Like the previous writer., the instructions were pretty vague but after a bit it was fairly easy. Just I picked the coldest date to do it.
Wow, snow where are you? Here in Quebec we didn't get any yet.

G

·
Here a few close up pics of the connections holding the bug deflector in place. You have to wiggle the main black brackets under the rubber seal trim and the end brackets wedge over top the hood. Just measure it out with a practice fit and make sure to wrap the rubber tape around the edge properly to avoid any scratch.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
i just installed the AVS Bug Deflector 2 on my NOX, and no drilling is required. it uses the existing 'pins' that hold the rubber pad (shown in the above pix). Went on very easy. They supplied the replacement 'pins' to ensure they remain tight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
KANWAR said:
i just installed the AVS Bug Deflector 2 on my NOX, and no drilling is required. it uses the existing 'pins' that hold the rubber pad (shown in the above pix). Went on very easy. They supplied the replacement 'pins' to ensure they remain tight.
I took my OEM bug deflector back and now I am interested in how your AVS is installed.
Could you please send me some pics of your installed deflector?

·
Registered
977 Posts
I stuck with the OEM on the NOX as I used a ventshade shield on my 2003 VUE and got rattling from the front. Had to take off an bought an OEM. None of the shields require drilling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Butch65 said:
I took my OEM bug deflector back and now I am interested in how your AVS is installed.
Could you please send me some pics of your installed deflector?
sorry no pix yet, but it uses the existing black plugs that hold the rubber bumper at the bottom edge of your hood, as seen in the pics above. They give you replacement plugs, you pull the existing ones out, slide the guard in under the rubber bumper, and push in the new ones. took me about 3 minutes to install, and the guard cost me about 75 bucks at Canadian Tire. Looks great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts