GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get an engine stall after shifting into drive just in parking lots on a level surface. Does not happen to me very often and never that I can remember in actual traffic. I think as I have not taken specific note if on a cold engine ever but seems to be when I run somewhere like in a store or bank or something not too long and it is more likely to happen then on the way out of the parking spot.

Anyone have an idea?

Also lately after a longer drive say 30 minutes or so, the idle is unstable and it almost feels like it will stall (but holds on) and that is at a traffic light after getting off the highway and each stop along the way until I get to the destination which is only a few minutes as usually I am like 90% on the highway.

Crank Position Sensor? My brother in law thought. I got a check engine and it then went away and never lit up again. I will try to get the code read with OBD2 reader very soon.

2012 Equinox 2.4L engine

·
Registered
10,522 Posts
Two thoughts come to mind - Idle Air Control Valve, or Throttle Position Sensor. Check Engine LIght will tell for sure. Code remains in computer for awhile. Go to an Auto Parts Store - most can pull your codes for free.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my 2012 Terrain 4-cyl.

Car stalled and then we would restart and run for a bit then stall as I slowed down. Then would run fine for a week or 2 and then do it again. A check engine light came on and then went out later.

Turned out to be the intake cam solenoid. This is used in the VVT system.

Dealer changed under warranty in less than 30 minutes. After seeing it on line, the repair is really easy and the part is less than $40 CDN!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Rit said:
Two thoughts come to mind - Idle Air Control Valve, or Throttle Position Sensor.
Is there an IAC valve on a 2012? If it's drive by wire, I don't think it'll have one.

My 2 cents says just clean the throttle body. If it's dirty/sticky it'll do all that.
Here is a thread with a bit of a how-to written by HFV6
http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=14314.0

·
Registered
10,522 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this lines up with what tygriff was saying above.

I pulled the codes and get a pair of codes P0010 and P0011. So it sounds like Oil Control Valve (OCV) or solenoid as another word.

Complete Details Sites:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0010

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0011

I imagine just mainly a component replacement.

I wonder if this is covered on the Powertrain Warranty which we have 160,000 kms in Canada right? Mine is at 130,000 kms right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
i had a similar problem. ended up being my camshaft sensor. was replaced under warenty and the car has been running smoother and quieter ever since

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have same issue, 2014 2.4 Terrain, I replaced the throttle body, both vvt solenoids, maf sensor, and spark plugs. All oem parts, no difference at all with random starting and stalls about 15 seconds later. Has 69k on odometer, oil is changed at 3-4k miles, doesn't use oil. I cleaned the pcv, tube going to intake was clean, had no oil in tube. Been doing this since I bought the Terrain, no better or worse a year + later. I'm lost, no codes except a rear 02 sensor and went away when I replaced sensor. Now, thinking what next, cam sensors or maybe the electronic gas peddle? Never has stalled when after initial stall occurs, once a stall happens, it's good to go until next time the terrain is shut off and restarted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts